Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I threw out a suggestion last year that
6 lowest teams in NFL play for the AI JFC, winners get into AI SFC.
Next 6 lowest play AI IFC, winners get into AI SFC.
12 teams who don't make Provincials Finals play Round 1 AI SFC
6 winners of Round 1 plus the Junior and Inter winners play the 8 Provincials Finalists. Provincial Champions seeded and get home venues.
Of course if the NFL was transferred to Summer and became the Championship........
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rossfan on March 01, 2017, 10:51:37 AM
I threw out a suggestion last year that
6 lowest teams in NFL play for the AI JFC, winners get into AI SFC.
Next 6 lowest play AI IFC, winners get into AI SFC.
12 teams who don't make Provincials Finals play Round 1 AI SFC
6 winners of Round 1 plus the Junior and Inter winners play the 8 Provincials Finalists. Provincial Champions seeded and get home venues.
Of course if the NFL was transferred to Summer and became the Championship........
I remember it and thought it was a great idea, although difficult to fit in to the calendar with the league as it is.

Fuzzman

I always wondered could we somehow use the league (Div1) and the provincials to decide which teams make the last 8. What I mean is say you took the top 4 teams in Div 1 and they qualify for the last 8 and then they sit out the provincials.
Then you play the provincials as usual without the big guns. It's a bit like the premier league teams already in the 3rd round of the FA cup.

So last year's top 4 were Dublin, Kerry, Roscommon and Donegal.
Then you would probably have got Westmeath, Tipperary, Galway and Tyrone from the provinces. Mayo & Clare missing out.

Pros. Gives the league a lot more importance and good reward for 4 best teams
         Gives lesser counties a better chance of winning their provincial championship especially in Leinster & Munster 
         No need for all the qualifier matches so more time for club football.

Cons. What if two teams from the same province say Cork & Kerry only leaving 3 in Munster
          Teams qualified through league will have no games until July.

Of course there would be some problems with it but at least it could give the provincials a new lease of life with the usual suspects of Dublin, Mayo and Kerry out of them to give other teams a chance.

AZOffaly

Another Con to that is winning a Munster without Cork and Kerry in it means feck all.

sid waddell

Quote from: Esmarelda on March 01, 2017, 10:21:37 AM
Genuine question for everyone, but especially for those against the Super 8; what do the the weaker counties want? I'm talking primarily about the counties in Division 4. Does anyone know anyone involved, be it players, management etc?

We've heard that they want the provincials kept and that they don't want a tiered championship. Then we hear the Wicklow manager advocating a strike in light of what was passed at congress.

I'm just wondering what kind up set-up they have in mind that would right the wrong of what was passed.
Then you often hear an argument from weaker counties that round robin series inherently favour the strong teams because they have stronger panels.

The arguments are labyrinthine.

AZOffaly

Which is Zulu's point all along. So many facets.

Also my point, so many 'problems' so how on earth do you solve them, or who even identifies what the biggest ones are?

sid waddell

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 01, 2017, 11:47:59 AM
Which is Zulu's point all along. So many facets.

Also my point, so many 'problems' so how on earth do you solve them, or who even identifies what the biggest ones are?

It's a bit like politics.

You get individuals claiming to speak for "the people".

When they clearly don't, because "the people" are of many different opinions, and deeply divided.

Main Street

The starting point of the AI are the provincials.
The qualifiers have addressed the issue to a good extent of the inequities in the orig system and the continued success of back door teams is a testament to that  success.The prov winner was rewarded by getting straight through to the 1/4s and was seeded (a theoretical advantage).

In this new system the provincial winners are even more advantaged in the last 8 draw.
However in the example draw for 2016, Dublin would have had to travel to Tyrone, an interesting hypothetical  to say the least.  Maybe not all about this new format is as cut and dried, as predetermined as it might appear.

Calling any part of a competition super this or super that, is sick bucket territory, akin to rugby hype (both codes). iIhope this does not mean pre game hype, nausea educing fireworks etc, ear bashing decibel level music, just because some market survey indicated that its good for the game.

It's the GAA,  it could be called the Eightsome.

ha ha derry

The 13 day rule being reduced to 6 day rule would be a big benefit to clubs and county panellists. would free up almost a month during the summer whilst still allowing the county programmes to continue unhindered.
County players have no bother playing on a weekly basis during the league so shouldn't be a problem.

Jinxy

Can they not just keep calling it 'The All-Ireland Series'?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sid waddell

Quote from: Main Street on March 01, 2017, 12:14:05 PM

Calling any part of a competition super this or super that, is sick bucket territory, akin to rugby hype (both codes). iIhope this does not mean pre game hype, nausea educing fireworks etc, ear bashing decibel level music, just because some market survey indicated that its good for the game.

"The humble little round robin series."
"The League of Counties"
"The All-Ireland Merry-go-round"
"The G(AA)8
"The 8 Balls"
"The Octagon"
"The Dead Rubber Series"
"The 8 wonder"
"Who 8 all the pies?"

Rossfan

Quote from: Jinxy on March 01, 2017, 12:16:24 PM
Can they not just keep calling it 'The All-Ireland Series'?

That would be the right name for it.
You'd have the All Ireland Qualifiers
The All Ireland Series
And the All  Ireland Championship.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

Where did the Super 8 slogan come from? Media? I assumed it wasn't an official title.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Esmarelda on March 01, 2017, 12:42:39 PM
Where did the Super 8 slogan come from? Media? I assumed it wasn't an official title.

Should be Elite Eight anyway. Like March Madness

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 01, 2017, 12:50:43 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on March 01, 2017, 12:42:39 PM

Should be Elite Eight anyway. Like March Madness

More like Dublin + the Severely Substandard Seven.