Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

They'll have to come up with a different name for it anyway.
'Super 8' is classic Sky Sports nonsense.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Aughafad

With the World Cup in 2018, sky won't give a shit about the super 8 as they'll be on at the same time.

vallankumous

Quote from: Jinxy on February 25, 2017, 01:38:20 PM
Lads, is this the long con that explains the ongoing relationship with SKY?
Hard to see why they'd be bothered otherwise.
Multiple games running concurrently at the business end of the championship.
They'll be given a big chunk of them to cover, probably with first refusal once they see the match-ups.

Yes, there is only one reason to make these changes. More games at peak times with the bigger Counties. Although it's not only Sky. Not only that but SKY money is your money and the money sucked out of small publicans at extortion rates across small towns and villages. There's also the massive companies that sponsor the top teams. Vodafone, Kerrygroup etc. They all want as much return as possible on their investment. And the GAA have provided.

Fuzzman

Provincial winners can only meet in Croker and the Dubs get their home match against a qualifier in Croker too of course so Kerry and Mayo will have to throw their provincial final if they want a home advantage v the Dubs.

Jinxy

Quote from: Aughafad on February 25, 2017, 01:57:04 PM
With the World Cup in 2018, sky won't give a shit about the super 8 as they'll be on at the same time.

The world cup in 2018 will be covered by a terrestrial channel in Ireland.
They're trying to increase their market share here, and hang onto subscribers over the summer when there's no english soccer on.
GAA coverage is kind of a loss-leader for them.
Actually, do Sky even cover the world cup?

rrhf

Could there now be the split between club and county.
I'm surprised at the gpas position, how did this pass without a secret support even on their side. How many county boards supported this.
This can lead to professionalism quicker.
Will grassroots ignore the county gravy train and attendances fall.
Could be an interesting few years.
I

BennyCake

Quote from: Jinxy on February 25, 2017, 01:21:18 PM
I wouldn't be a big fan of this 'players good, officials bad' narrative in the context of this vote.
The officials are the ones who see the accounts and have to keep the show on the road.
If Duffy & Co. dangled a nice juicy carrot in front of them for supporting this, I'd find it hard to blame them for taking a bite of it.
Maybe it won't be the end of the world, we'll have to wait and see how it works in practice.
A lot of hysterical stuff being spouted online this morning.

Yeah, right. Even if it's a bloody disaster, the GAA hierarchy will continue to talk about how great it is, and how well it's working when it plainly isn't. Look at the black card. Vast majority speaking out against it,but they're ignored. Its here to stay.

Now it's here, it's here to stay regardless if everyone man in the country is against it. Move along, nothing to see here.

Jinxy

Quote from: rrhf on February 25, 2017, 02:24:29 PM
I'm surprised at the gpas position, how did this pass without a secret support even on their side. How many county boards supported this.
I

What leverage did they bring to bear?
Where was the 'listen to us, or else' attitude of old?
They're bought and paid for at this stage.
If the CPA had got going a year ago, and half the people moaning now had signed up, then there might have been a different outcome.

vallankumous

Quote from: rrhf on February 25, 2017, 02:24:29 PM
I

There already is a split, it just hasn't been given a name.

I know that I have on occasion been quite happy to see my county team fail to progress. Now there will be times I hope they don't win a Provincial championship or go a distance in the qualifiers.
I think the CPA will react strongly. If only to strngthen themselves. This is the GAA creating a monster they will have to meet head on soon.

Zulu

Lot of ill informed hysteria here. It's two rounds of games played within 8 days added to the calendar that's already there. To listen to some posters here hurling has been disbanded, clubs have to play all their games Christmas week and Paraic Duffy is more interested in partying with Jay Z than helping the GAA.

At the very least, this is worth giving a go and unlike the pessimistic soothsayers claims here we can actually review and change it in 2020.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Jinxy on February 25, 2017, 01:21:18 PM
I wouldn't be a big fan of this 'players good, officials bad' narrative in the context of this vote.
The officials are the ones who see the accounts and have to keep the show on the road.
If Duffy & Co. dangled a nice juicy carrot in front of them for supporting this, I'd find it hard to blame them for taking a bite of it.
Maybe it won't be the end of the world, we'll have to wait and see how it works in practice.
A lot of hysterical stuff being spouted online this morning.

I couldn't agree more. It's time for a little objectivity here rather than this constant barrage of abuse at county officials. I often disagree with the decision of our county board but to suggest that they are all out of touch with their clubs is unfair as most of them have been, and still are, driving forces within their clubs.

How representative is the CPA? For a "players association" it is front loaded by GAA personalities, ex-managers &  ex-players (Dempsey, Curran, Kernan etc) all or many of whom have been involved in bringing forward alternative proposals for change within the association that have not met with universal support. 

A few points:

Clubs complain of  club matches being postponed etc. during the inter-county season yet the same clubs do nothing about it at county board level. Last year there was near universal disapproval within Mayo at the postponement of the final round of the round-robin section of the county championship. The move was signalled in advance of a county board meeting, all senior and intermediate clubs were affected (32 of 48 clubs) and yet the deferral was agreed by the clubs at the county board. Why?

Clubs complain of the costs involved in competing at club level. The greatest cost involved is in the hiring of professional management and backroom teams (physio, S&C, medical etc). A small band of managers operate on a lucrative circuit around Mayo & Galway. Despite this, county championships have been won by very few teams yet players in all clubs demand these outsiders. Most clubs are up to their eyes in debt and it is not the players who are out fundraising to pay off the debts. Why not?

The majority of those who support GAA inter-county teams have little or no involvement in clubs. The advent of season tickets has exacerbated this as people now have access to tickets without involving themselves in clubs. They are the most vocal when it comes to attacking anybody who would try to curb the incidence of county managers having games called off to "protect" county players. And despite the fact that it hurts their own interests you will find that club players are among this group. Should pressure groups such as county supporters have more say than clubs?

We now have a near-professional approach to the playing of county and club championships while professing to be an amateur organisation. At a recent meeting to look towards a vision of the GAA in 2034 most people attending professed a vision of the GAA as being amateur, having defined programmes of club and county games, an end to the hiring of external coaches/managers, county players playing for their clubs, a reduction of red tape/administration at club level and players playing for the enjoyment of the game rather than the winning of titles. When asked what they thought would be the reality they almost entirely saw the opposite, i.e more professionalism, administration, debt and club football played without their county players. Finally when asked what steps could be taken to make their vision a reality there was a near unanimous silence.

My point is that we lack an agreed vision of what we want in the future. Without this vision we will continue to be reacting to problems rather than planning for the future. We cannot afford a professional game based on a 32 county basis. A rugby-like franchise system with a limited number of teams based around the strongest counties and large urban areas with more than one Dublin based side might work but would struggle to gain acceptance from followers of disenfranchised counties.... yet this is where we are heading. Clubs too need to face up to the reality of what they are..... clubs for the promotion and development of Gaelic Games or semi-professional outfits being run for the benefit of the few by the efforts of many. Until players step up to the mark in contributing to the running of their clubs the CPA will continue to be a mouthpiece for those who want to representation without participation.

I see that John Horan is suggesting a root and branch review of the association on the lines of the McNamee commission. It can't come too soon.

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on February 25, 2017, 02:41:55 PM
Lot of ill informed hysteria here. It's two rounds of games played within 8 days added to the calendar that's already there. To listen to some posters here hurling has been disbanded, clubs have to play all their games Christmas week and Paraic Duffy is more interested in partying with Jay Z than helping the GAA.

At the very least, this is worth giving a go and unlike the pessimistic soothsayers claims here we can actually re Jew and change it in 2020.

???

Zulu

Quote from: Jinxy on February 25, 2017, 02:46:34 PM

At the very least, this is worth giving a go and unlike the pessimistic soothsayers claims here we can actually re Jew and change it in 2020.

Oops, changed that now!
???

vallankumous

Reductio ad absurdum rather than make a point makes it seem like you have a weak argument.

I wonder why they would propose this? The major thing here is more games for top teams for no reason other than to have more games for top teams. What would be the motivation behind that? Could it be sponsorship or TV deals? If so then is this not a genuine reason to be concerned?

Jinxy

Also, in the context of the uproar on social media, if we've learned anything in the last 2 years it is that there is a silent majority who are willing to act and a vocal minority who are happy to just make noise.
The outrage will blow over by Monday.
The powers that be fully understand how this works.