FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: magickingdom on May 22, 2010, 03:43:01 PM
this sounds scary, freak injury to shane duffy. thank God hes ok

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2010/0522/1224270918821.html

Just saw this on skysports, very lucky fella by all accounts, life saving surgery.... :o
You'll Never Walk Alone.

omagh_gael

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is scarily similar to the incident which tragically took young Paul Mc Girr's life in Healy park in 97/98? It just goes to show you how fickle life can be. It's great to hear that he had such good medical care so promtly. We could easily be looking at another tragedy if this happened in another part of the country, for example, there is no longer a 'proper' hospital in the whole of co Tyrone and I'd doubt if young Shane would have made it if it happened in Omagh.

Anyway best of luck in the recovery and hopefully we see him pull on the green shirt in the not too distant future.

The Real Laoislad

Looks like Duffy will be ok,great news and they expect him back training by Christmas,almost died twice according to reports,great work done by the surgeons in the Mather Hospital

Thought there might be more comments on this,seeing as the guy nearly died and he is Irish..

If it was Wayne Rooney's ankle though..............  ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

red hander

Thank God there was an ambulance at the venue ... the medical staff did a magnificent job saving the lad's life

maggie

Quote from: red hander on May 24, 2010, 09:22:11 PM
Thank God there was an ambulance at the venue ... the medical staff did a magnificent job saving the lad's life

Read about this in the papers yesterday.
He lost 2/3 of his blood supply.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Celt_Man

Good to hear that young Duffy is doing better... fecking scary stuff though - sure how many times would you see a collision on a football, half a dozen times every game I'd reckon
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Main Street

Quote from: Celt_Man on May 25, 2010, 12:42:04 PM
Good to hear that young Duffy is doing better... fecking scary stuff though - sure how many times would you see a collision on a football, half a dozen times every game I'd reckon
More like a freak injury that turned into a real scare for all involved.

They say he could be back playing after 3 or 4 months. I don't know if that means training or playing fully fit.

bingobus

Good to see young Duffy will be ok.

Sunday night we had a Junior game and I'd be over the team. Brother playing midfield and right at end of game he takes an almighty shoulder charge in the back from a lad trying to drive him over the line. He's struggling for air but goes back out to finish game. Back in the dressing room and he's in a heap in the corner and struggling to breath. I get him in car and drive to the DOC-on-call service in the town, him near passing out on car, get him in and the Doc is straight onto the ambulance to come.

All I could think off is the Duffy fella from Friday. Was scary stuff.

He actually punctured his lung and they put a tube in his side on Sunday and he's still in hospital but shows how easy these things happen.

The Real Laoislad

Not the worst game ever, always nice to win
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Ulick

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 25, 2010, 09:41:03 PM
Not the worst game ever, always nice to win

Cheers LL, wasn't that fussed on watching the highlights later anyway  ;)

Celt_Man

Anyone know where I could watch highlights of last night's game?  Good to see that Cavan's Cillian Sheridan came on - how did he play?

Main Street

I suppose considering Sheridan is from Cavan, he did not disgrace himself.  At the time he came on, Ireland were holding on to a lead, not chasing the game. He got on the ball a few times, won a good corner, got his head to the long ball a few times. Hard to see from tv coverage how his movement was, but from what I could see he has a lot of progress to make before he would make the squad. Shane Long does look a better player than him.

Good energetic first half from something close to our best team.
Maybe it is just the other teams know we are managed by the legend that is Trap so they assume we must be well organised ::)
CM was just about functional with Andrews pushing forward. Whelan fell asleep for the Paraguay goal but he hit a lovely pass for Duff to run onto, a real goal scoring chance.
A new kid called Green came on as a sub and did well (a Trap type CM), good enough to get another run out against Algeria. 

Celt_Man

Quote from: Main Street on May 26, 2010, 12:31:40 PM
I suppose considering Sheridan is from Cavan, he did not disgrace himself.  At the time he came on, Ireland were holding on to a lead, not chasing the game. He got on the ball a few times, won a good corner, got his head to the long ball a few times. Hard to see from tv coverage how his movement was, but from what I could see he has a lot of progress to make before he would make the squad. Shane Long does look a better player than him.

Good energetic first half from something close to our best team.
Maybe it is just the other teams know we are managed by the legend that is Trap so they assume we must be well organised ::)
CM was just about functional with Andrews pushing forward. Whelan fell asleep for the Paraguay goal but he hit a lovely pass for Duff to run onto, a real goal scoring chance.
A new kid called Green came on as a sub and did well (a Trap type CM), good enough to get another run out against Algeria.

I'm letting that first comment go but you're on notice boyo!!

AFS

Good to see a couple more midfield options appearing. With James McCarthy and hopefully Jamie O'Hara to come in things could be looking up in that area of the pitch. Still short on defenders though, things look ropey back there without Dunne. Surely there's a better CB than Paul McShane out there somewhere with an Irish granny. Kevin Doyle is first class.

brokencrossbar1

Doyle did very well and I wouldn't mind Liverpool taking a punt on him.  McShane is a bombscare and centre halves seriously needed.  Greene did very well and showed like he wanted to make an impression as did Fahey.  Sheridan is a bit like Leon Best, just not as good :P