Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Gutted about yesterday but so glad to have seen the best football game this year. Well done galway a fine team and some serious players. Tierney at 11 and McDaid in the middle were immense for you. Thought Molloy had great game as well. I just watched the entire game back again as being there v TV is two very different perspectives. Of our own lads just a huge team effort. And while hard to watch players distraught at the end it shows the pride and passion is there and with wee rub of the green that team will go further. Anyone notice think it was either the 7th or 8th point for galway the pass was blatant throw ball or am i needing the optician again ? Not that it matters now just interesting that commentators never mentioned it. Maybe because it wasnt ?
Gonna be some battle between Derry and Galway

trailer

Taoiseach and Catherine Martin getting stuck into this now. We're only moments away from somebody in the Dail asking for the Army to sent in to steward games.

Dougal Maguire

Jesus the amount of bile on this thread is unreal. Some folk really need to take a look at themselves if a football match involving teams rather that their own makes them react like that. I'm glad though that Armagh's defeat has given the Down supporters such a buzz. Methinks, given the demise of their team, that they will be depending on things like this to give them any sort of buzz for a few years yet
Careful now

Armamike

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on June 27, 2022, 02:56:24 PM
Still feeling drained after that, so can't imagine what the players must feel like today.

Such an incredible rollercoaster of emotions for Armagh supporters over those two or three hours. In fact, the last four weeks or so have been a rollercoaster, from the doom and gloom in advance of the Tyrone game through to the colour and noise and expectation on Sunday. Such a shame, a disgrace really, that things ended with a penalty shootout. It's unnatural, anti-climactic, perfunctory. It doesn't belong in the GAA - I hope the rule makers realise this before any other county is disenfranchised. Striking the ball from the ground is a fundamental skill in soccer, it is not a fundamental skill in Gaelic football. This is why penalty shootouts do not belong in the GAA.

The game in normal time was conventional enough. Armagh started well and then faded. Galway were the better team overall, and had they run out 4 or 5 point winners it would have been merited. They are a very good team that have been motoring well all year. I can see them taking care of Derry, and giving a good account of themselves in an AI final. Need to sort out that problem with high balls in and around their goals, though.

I thought I could see some heavy legs out there on the Armagh side, and it's maybe no coincidence that some of the older lads - Murnin, Forker, Grugan, - didn't make it to the end of extra time. Armagh have had a tougher road than Galway over the last month.

Galway were also more clinical, I think the wide count at the end of normal time was something like 8-3. Some of Armagh's shot selection was off at clutch moments - unfortunately this came back to haunt them at the death too. McCabe's red didn't help either - Galway hit four in a row after that and looked to have killed the game off. The red was harsh for me. There's no malice there, it's just a fractionally mistimed hit. Yellow would've done and no one would've complained.

Then that mad 8 or 9 minutes. First off, fair play to Coldrick for adding the time. Galway were at the fake head injury stuff all second half to kill time, so 8 minutes was the least that was justified. A stop clock is the solution to this messing. Both goals were scrappy, but they're the type of goals you get when you want them enough. O'Neill's free to tie it up was something else, but there was never a doubt he'd nail it.

Extra time is a blur to me. I'll have to watch back when I have the stomach. I thought Armagh had it at two stages - after the third goal, and after Hall's point. It was always going to be tricky to hold on against an opponent like Galway, but maybe Armagh could have done one or two things differently and held out. McDaid's point to tie it up was exceptional, though.

The penalties are a nonsense and you couldn't hold it against either of the two lads that missed for Armagh. But if this team ever finds itself in the position again then I'd hope lessons can be learnt from yesterday. GAA keepers are not at the same shot stopping standard as top level soccer keepers. Just hit the target with enough power and you usually score in Gaelic football. This is what Galway managed, but a couple of the Armagh penalties looked to try to be too precise, too close to the top corner.

The row was bad. And Armagh more than played their part in it. That's three in 11 games this year, Armagh can't keep crying that they're just being picked on. In fact, in interviews afterwards, McGeeney more or less said that the lads have been encouraged to get on like this. To not take a step back, to get under the skin of the big boys and let them know you mean business. I get that this cocky upstart thing is an energy that the team feeds off, but for me it begins to become counterproductive after a time. In the short term you lose players and you lose focus. Longer term there is a loss of reputation, which kills you slowly as you find refs gunning for you more and more regularly. Armagh need to clean themselves up.

Tiernan Kelly in particular let himself down, and I'm sure he knows that. He should be contrite, take whatever punishment comes his way, and quietly go about working his way back into the team. He still has a fantastic football career ahead of him. It's difficult to make excuses for something like that, but I suppose he is young and the blood was up in the moment. It looked like one of those things that takes a second to happen, but that you regret for much, much longer. The witch hunt online and in the media is pathetic, though. Hysterical squeals for lifetime bans. A lot of sanctimonious gobshites that just live for whinging about things. Luckily, the storm will move on to a different target by the middle of the week - hopefully TK keeps his head clear of the noise in the meantime.

As an Armagh supporter I'm already looking forward to 2023. The league gave a hint of it, but it's the last three championship games that has confirmed it for me: we're back knocking about the top table. Some serious work, and improvement, and momentum has come together over the last 18 months. Good young players have come through, and some stalwarts have elevated themselves to standards I didn't think they had in them. The continuation of the management isn't in any doubt, and hopefully Donaghy stays onboard too - the boys seem to feed off his enthusiasm.

I don't think any players walk away just yet, and there's maybe two more years in the likes of Grugan, Campbell & Forker. I can see Turbitt starting more regularly, and return for Oisin O'Neill, Kelly, and Grimley. It'll also be great for squad depth to have lads like Paddy Burns, Niall Rowland, and the Mackins back to full fitness. Boys like Woods and Kieran came in yesterday and kicked on, and there's others like McQuillen, McConville, McCambridge, and Higgins still to really break through. The year will also stand to men who have just only got going in settled positions on the field - Rafferty, Og Burns, Conor O'Neill, Crealey & Duffy.

The talent of 20 years ago might not quite be there, but there's still a very strong and healthy mix. There's also an energy and togetherness and spirit that has taken time to foster, and which could still take them a long way. The unnecessary stuff aside, there's a team there that plays great football with great heart. Football has been boring for a decade or more, it's good for the game to have teams like Armagh bringing a bit of colour and noise to Croke Park again.

Good luck to Galway and Derry the next day out. Would love to see either win Sam.

Great, balanced post.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armagh18

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 27, 2022, 04:08:44 PM
Jesus the amount of bile on this thread is unreal. Some folk really need to take a look at themselves if a football match involving teams rather that their own makes them react like that. I'm glad though that Armagh's defeat has given the Down supporters such a buzz. Methinks, given the demise of their team, that they will be depending on things like this to give them any sort of buzz for a few years yet
I'll not say too much because for a while there we were relying on Tyrone/Down misfortune for our own buzz. Great to be back at the top table and have everyone talking about us though.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on June 27, 2022, 03:29:42 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 27, 2022, 03:28:39 PM
I would agree with a lot of that. I would have preferred Armagh won but I do generally like Galway. Comer was wired in that game and I honestly thought he should have had red. Walsh while wasn't fantastic was subject to some not great treatment by Morgan so I wouldn't have his behaviour down as quite as bad as you would but still expected better from him both behaviour wise and taking the game to armagh wise.
On what basis should Comer have seen red?
Some of the claptrap here since the match yesterday is incredible. That was a great game, fair play to both sets of players, a phenomenal atmosphere in the stadium which the Armagh support contributed to in a massive way. The melee was the usual handbags with the exception of one complete tr**p who should be fucked out from playing for a year.

Shane Walsh "feigning injury", I'll be kind and assume this person wasn't in CP, how Morgan didn't get a second yellow is the only "remarkable" thing. It's even noted in the IT match report, "they should also have been without James Morgan whose enthusiasm for wrestling Shane Walsh and clattering into him off the ball miraculously failed to draw further punishment than one yellow card.". Presumably this will be disavowed as West Brit propaganda.

I met some absolute gents from Armagh both pre and post match in and around CP, a much fairer appraisal of the match and the controversies was had with them, so to come online and read back through this thread is surprising, either people weren't at the match or if they were, have put some quare slant on what happened out there. I would have preferred a replay for the game but both teams knew that penalties were a possibility.
Galway turned up and once they got over the first 15 minutes gave the performance that was required on a big day. Finnerty, Tierney and McDaid came of age in Galway jerseys yesterday, Tierney had not been in top form in Connacht but came alive in CP. Shane Walsh did not have a good game, he'll know that himself, the great thing is that there is another match to try and play better in only two weeks away.
The Galway collapses are seriously troubling as against Mayo, Roscommon and now Armagh, Galway have been the better team and have contrived to make comfortable victories into something that would take years off you. Gleeson and the kickouts have been flagged as a huge weakness for a long time and it is hard to believe that we got away with those catastrophic errors yesterday. Armagh were gifted 3 goals and still didn't win, the grit and clutch play from McDaid in ET to ensure that they didn't was a sight to behold.

Derry are a formidable team and the league result will have no bearing on the semi final whatsoever. Galway need to show up and play better again the next day again, simple as that.

Armamike

Quote from: maddog on June 27, 2022, 04:06:45 PM
Gutted about yesterday but so glad to have seen the best football game this year. Well done galway a fine team and some serious players. Tierney at 11 and McDaid in the middle were immense for you. Thought Molloy had great game as well. I just watched the entire game back again as being there v TV is two very different perspectives. Of our own lads just a huge team effort. And while hard to watch players distraught at the end it shows the pride and passion is there and with wee rub of the green that team will go further. Anyone notice think it was either the 7th or 8th point for galway the pass was blatant throw ball or am i needing the optician again ? Not that it matters now just interesting that commentators never mentioned it. Maybe because it wasnt ?
Gonna be some battle between Derry and Galway

Thought their half back, no. 7 (can't remember his name) did a lot of damage too.  Constantly on the ball, probing, getting their attack going. In short a right pain in the arse!
That's just, like your opinion man.

ardtole

Was Oisin O'Neill injured this year, or not on the  panel?

Armagh18

Quote from: ardtole on June 27, 2022, 04:17:56 PM
Was Oisin O'Neill injured this year, or not on the  panel?
Injured unfortunately. He'd be of a similar calibre player to the brother so we'll be hoping he's back flying for next year.

Armagh18

Charlie Tanagan is looking a Garda investigation! Didn't think he would watch GAA

yellowcard

Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2022, 04:31:31 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2022/0627/1307102-orourke-on-brawl-armagh-the-common-denominator/

Hyperbolic hypocritical nonsense from O'Rourke. And then I seen that muppet Flanagan looking to get the Gardai involved. You know it is gone too far when the actual Galway manager is less offended than those media pundits and rival fans preaching from the pulpit.

general_lee

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 27, 2022, 04:15:57 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 27, 2022, 03:29:42 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 27, 2022, 03:28:39 PM
I would agree with a lot of that. I would have preferred Armagh won but I do generally like Galway. Comer was wired in that game and I honestly thought he should have had red. Walsh while wasn't fantastic was subject to some not great treatment by Morgan so I wouldn't have his behaviour down as quite as bad as you would but still expected better from him both behaviour wise and taking the game to armagh wise.
On what basis should Comer have seen red?
Shane Walsh "feigning injury", I'll be kind and assume this person wasn't in CP, how Morgan didn't get a second yellow is the only "remarkable" thing. It's even noted in the IT match report, "they should also have been without James Morgan whose enthusiasm for wrestling Shane Walsh and clattering into him off the ball miraculously failed to draw further punishment than one yellow card.". Presumably this will be disavowed as West Brit propaganda.
Shane Walsh made one hell of a recovery down near the Canal End, (I thought he looked in a bad way, possibly shot by a sniper?) but thankfully moments later was up like a rocket and fully recovered as his teammates were in possession and on the attack. 

Quote from: yellowcard on June 27, 2022, 04:40:27 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 27, 2022, 04:31:31 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2022/0627/1307102-orourke-on-brawl-armagh-the-common-denominator/

Hyperbolic hypocritical nonsense from O'Rourke. And then I seen that muppet Flanagan looking to get the Gardai involved. You know it is gone too far when the actual Galway manager is less offended than those media pundits and rival fans preaching from the pulpit.
West Brit propaganda?

Wildweasel74

I love Joe Brolly and Logan to actually be paid to write the Gaa rule book revisions, seeing these lads are involving half the time getting round them. O'Rourke comments wee but ironic saying he played on Gaelic football meanest team ever.