Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

As a neutral , (though I've no love for Armagh as our closest neighbours and rivals and wanted to see Galway win), I really admire what Armagh brought to the championship this year. Riain O'Neill and Soupy Campbell are both All star material. Galway as always showed flashes of flair . Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that Walsh disappointed overall , he didn't take the game to Armagh but was feigning injury and attempting to get cards all day. Comer was acting the hard man all day , and Tbf was more likely to be the instigator of the row than Morgan who was already on a yellow. Sean Kelly won't be too happy with Comer and Walsh , Particularly if he misses out on the Derry game. Walsh was writhing about all day but made several miraculous recoveries. Remarkable to see him still standing at the end to take his penalty with such aplomb 😜.  The officials in the Derry game will presumably be wise to Comer and Walsh particularly. Though it's remarkable how RTE commentators , presenters and pundits weren't wise to them, given their scrutiny of Tyrone tactics over the years .
Rte's coverage and bias, is light years behind Sky's objective professionalism .

imtommygunn

I would agree with a lot of that. I would have preferred Armagh won but I do generally like Galway. Comer was wired in that game and I honestly thought he should have had red. Walsh while wasn't fantastic was subject to some not great treatment by Morgan so I wouldn't have his behaviour down as quite as bad as you would but still expected better from him both behaviour wise and taking the game to armagh wise.

JoG2

Quote from: general_lee on June 27, 2022, 01:51:08 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 27, 2022, 12:17:52 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 27, 2022, 12:09:36 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 27, 2022, 11:49:22 AM
Its all in the coaching and team culture built up over a number of years. If anyone thinks that McKLeever and McGeeneys 'style' isnt all over that team then they need their heads read.
Monkey see monkey do.
Its premeditated not to ever actually strike. Becasue thats a sending off offence. So lads, no striking whatever you do.
But make sure you grapple, wrestle, grab, twist and hold onto him like your life depends on it and dont ever back down or let go first. Thats a sign of weakness and we cant have that, because after all, we're all big men and we like to flex how big we are.

Whilst there is alot to admire about Armagh's journey and football theyve played, they still get involved too much, indulge in thuggish shite and foul too easily. Their obsession with chest beating macho bull shit and insistence in turning every game into a dick-measuring contest was always gonna bite them at some stage.
Theyve lost this particular dick-measuring contest and its gonna hurt for a while.
I've read some shite on here (mostly Tyrone and Derry people, ironically) chastising Armagh for yesterdays handbags. I'm not sure Armagh are coached to do anything specifically in terms of dark arts but the only criticism I'll accept is that the management clearly haven't learned anything this year in terms of other teams riling them up.

I've asked it before but what exactly do Armagh, or any team for that matter, have to gain by starting a melee? There is literally nothing to be achieved from a premeditated melee.  Fair criticism of McGeeney/McKeever would be that their players fall for this shite too much: happened with Donegal, it happened with Tyrone and it happened again yesterday. TK deserves a hefty ban and if the powers that be make an example of him, so be it; moronic behaviour from him and something he shouldn't have involved himself with.

What has this got to do with yesterday.

The Armagh #2 ran after Comer and barged into him on the way to the tunnel.

Thats how the melee started
No it's not, Comer went for James Morgan after something between him and Walsh, that's how it started. Forker then got involved and straight away both teams went into full handbag mode

Melee starter

galwayman

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 27, 2022, 03:28:39 PM
I would agree with a lot of that. I would have preferred Armagh won but I do generally like Galway. Comer was wired in that game and I honestly thought he should have had red. Walsh while wasn't fantastic was subject to some not great treatment by Morgan so I wouldn't have his behaviour down as quite as bad as you would but still expected better from him both behaviour wise and taking the game to armagh wise.
On what basis should Comer have seen red?

imtommygunn

Start of extra time a tackle I think he struck to the face... It wasn't major but it was a strike.

galwayman

Quote from: 6th sam on June 27, 2022, 03:05:32 PM
As a neutral , (though I've no love for Armagh as our closest neighbours and rivals and wanted to see Galway win), I really admire what Armagh brought to the championship this year. Riain O'Neill and Soupy Campbell are both All star material. Galway as always showed flashes of flair . Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that Walsh disappointed overall , he didn't take the game to Armagh but was feigning injury and attempting to get cards all day. Comer was acting the hard man all day , and Tbf was more likely to be the instigator of the row than Morgan who was already on a yellow. Sean Kelly won't be too happy with Comer and Walsh , Particularly if he misses out on the Derry game. Walsh was writhing about all day but made several miraculous recoveries. Remarkable to see him still standing at the end to take his penalty with such aplomb 😜.  The officials in the Derry game will presumably be wise to Comer and Walsh particularly. Though it's remarkable how RTE commentators , presenters and pundits weren't wise to them, given their scrutiny of Tyrone tactics over the years .
Rte's coverage and bias, is light years behind Sky's objective professionalism .
Were you at the game? Would be interesting to view a player cam of Morgan "marking" Walsh off the ball. Clear to see from the stands what was going on off the ball.

galwayman

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 27, 2022, 03:32:11 PM
Start of extra time a tackle I think he struck to the face... It wasn't major but it was a strike.
Hmmm will have to watch it back on the tv - didn't notice it at the time live.

general_lee

Quote from: JoG2 on June 27, 2022, 03:29:01 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 27, 2022, 01:51:08 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 27, 2022, 12:17:52 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 27, 2022, 12:09:36 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 27, 2022, 11:49:22 AM
Its all in the coaching and team culture built up over a number of years. If anyone thinks that McKLeever and McGeeneys 'style' isnt all over that team then they need their heads read.
Monkey see monkey do.
Its premeditated not to ever actually strike. Becasue thats a sending off offence. So lads, no striking whatever you do.
But make sure you grapple, wrestle, grab, twist and hold onto him like your life depends on it and dont ever back down or let go first. Thats a sign of weakness and we cant have that, because after all, we're all big men and we like to flex how big we are.

Whilst there is alot to admire about Armagh's journey and football theyve played, they still get involved too much, indulge in thuggish shite and foul too easily. Their obsession with chest beating macho bull shit and insistence in turning every game into a dick-measuring contest was always gonna bite them at some stage.
Theyve lost this particular dick-measuring contest and its gonna hurt for a while.
I've read some shite on here (mostly Tyrone and Derry people, ironically) chastising Armagh for yesterdays handbags. I'm not sure Armagh are coached to do anything specifically in terms of dark arts but the only criticism I'll accept is that the management clearly haven't learned anything this year in terms of other teams riling them up.

I've asked it before but what exactly do Armagh, or any team for that matter, have to gain by starting a melee? There is literally nothing to be achieved from a premeditated melee.  Fair criticism of McGeeney/McKeever would be that their players fall for this shite too much: happened with Donegal, it happened with Tyrone and it happened again yesterday. TK deserves a hefty ban and if the powers that be make an example of him, so be it; moronic behaviour from him and something he shouldn't have involved himself with.

What has this got to do with yesterday.

The Armagh #2 ran after Comer and barged into him on the way to the tunnel.

Thats how the melee started
No it's not, Comer went for James Morgan after something between him and Walsh, that's how it started. Forker then got involved and straight away both teams went into full handbag mode

Melee starter
Walsh & Morgan 1&2, Comer no3

imtommygunn

Quote from: galwayman on June 27, 2022, 03:33:19 PM

Maybe I'm over egging it but I thought he struck. Probably would have been more of it so could have been just me but I did think he hit out.

Honestly to beat Derry I think you would need to keep his aggression in check.

general_lee

Quote from: 6th sam on June 27, 2022, 03:05:32 PM
That's a very fair post

Tony Baloney

There has been some drivel written about the penalties in the past 24 hours, predominantly by middle-aged women on Facebook, unsurprisingly. Armagh were robbed due to having to kick penalties etc. even though Galway also had the operate in the same conditions.

galwayman

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 27, 2022, 03:40:37 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 27, 2022, 03:33:19 PM

Maybe I'm over egging it but I thought he struck. Probably would have been more of it so could have been just me but I did think he hit out.

Honestly to beat Derry I think you would need to keep his aggression in check.
Derry going to be extremely tough one way or another for sure.

imtommygunn

I would have you as favourites but should be very interesting.

maddog

galway 11/10 Derry evens. Nothing in it.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2022/0626/1306973-joyce-choice-of-penalties-by-the-gaa-is-disgraceful/

Speaking to RTÉ Sport after the game, Joyce had some sympathy for Armagh by the manner in which they exited the 2022 championship.
"It's a horrible way to lose it and that's not the fault of the Armagh players, it's the fault of the GAA and the condensed season," he said.
"My heart goes out to Armagh. Kieran McGeeney and the boys have put in a savage effort; they have been the form team and their supporters brought fantastic colour down here today. The roar when Rian O'Neill levelled the game in normal time was deafening
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU