Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

My take on the game...

Thought it was a good game and def worth the entry fee, the Armagh fans were great and made plenty of noise contributing to the atmosphere. after the first 15 mins or so Armagh chased it the whole game and if we're all honest it was Galway's to throw away (which they almost done). The sending off from the seat inside the stadium felt harsh at the time but seeing it back last night can't argue too much with it. On reflection now the dust has settled Galway deserved their win and the very best of luck to them in the Semi Final. Armagh put that much into chasing the game and some of the subs used in Extra Time they had little in reserve and TBH I thought Galway would have put us to the sword in ET but that was not the case, both teams have to be applauded for their efforts and the contribution to a great day out.

Back to the drawing board again now for Armagh but I think we all knew this was a tough game that could have went either way and that certainly was the case...Onwards and upwards (hopefully). Good luck again Galway. As for the incident at the end of the normal time match...Don't know the lad but i'm sure he'll get a hefty suspension and being out long term with an injury it prob won't impact him too much but i'm guessing the trial by social media and the flak he'll take from this will far outweigh any GAA suspension he'll get. I know he's only a young lad and i'm not excusing what he done as it was disgraceful but i can only imagine he'll never do that again...(Here's hoping)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Keyser soze

S
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 12:58:19 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 12:53:37 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 12:51:23 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on June 27, 2022, 10:58:05 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 10:08:46 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 09:41:51 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:34:57 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:31:57 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:25:52 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:23:26 AM

We'll agree to disagree, in the world of finance the GAA will listen to the likes of Joyce and the public opinion on using penalties, with pressure being applied from sponsors and media. We seen the reality of the plan yesterday and I expect some head scratching in Croke Park this morning. There would have to be compromise and the Dublin Meath saga could never happen again but after such a high profile game yesterday the GAA will use it to make a slight change again imo.

The world of finance? The GAA are turning down lucrative replays here. For once, we can't throw the finance thing at them

😂.. no we can't to be fair but is it sustainable? My opinion like many is more about fairness on the players but when we think about it, the GAA are potentially throwing away over €1million, imagine a semi final goes the same way as yesterday. Media and sponsors would of loved another Armagh v Galway game in a packed stadium. I think decide on the day in the first match is crazy and when common sense takes over the authorities will all agree.

But we can't have it both ways, especially in these times. Are we expecting players and supporters of one of teh teams go out to Croke Park 3 weekends in a row now? We've known about this all year. A big game would always have these discussions, but we'll get used to it and move on
Happily. Cut ticket prices for a replay though.

Well of course you'd say that this morning. But it's not just price (and they used to cut replay prices alright). Just next weekend was meant to be off for players, and now we have some saying 3 weeks in a row is no issue, with the final 2 weeks after. Potentially 4 games in 5 weeks? Nah way...

Ah ffs catch yourself on, players would play a game every night of the week to get to an AI semi-final.

Of course they would. That's literally my point, but it wouldn't be fair on them. But it's not up to the GAA to flog them like that, they have to think on that stuff now. There's a reason we don't leave these decisions to the players. The right call was made with penalties seeing as we have a split season.
Ah in fairness at that level those lads could play 2 days in a row. Molloy from Galway played twice in one day for NUIG and Corofin I'm nearly sure once as well. A week is plenty of time to recover to be honest. I know it's a different level but I've seen club teams in Armagh play Sunday Wednesday Friday Sunday.

And we see players like Clifford being bollixed as he was made play 2 games in one day when the Sigerson was on. He's only now coming back from injuries. No sports scientist on the planet would allow 2 high intensity games in 2 days. They're amateurs, they need recovery. What is to be gained from flogging them?

That's is an entirely different matter as it was for 2 different teams which is fair enough.

You however are arguing about players having to play 3 weekends in a row as if that is some big deal. 

As Armagh18 just said to another poster 'tell me you never kicked a ball without telling me you never kicked a ball'.

Applesisapples

Quote from: illdecide on June 27, 2022, 01:26:48 PM
My take on the game...

Thought it was a good game and def worth the entry fee, the Armagh fans were great and made plenty of noise contributing to the atmosphere. after the first 15 mins or so Armagh chased it the whole game and if we're all honest it was Galway's to throw away (which they almost done). The sending off from the seat inside the stadium felt harsh at the time but seeing it back last night can't argue too much with it. On reflection now the dust has settled Galway deserved their win and the very best of luck to them in the Semi Final. Armagh put that much into chasing the game and some of the subs used in Extra Time they had little in reserve and TBH I thought Galway would have put us to the sword in ET but that was not the case, both teams have to be applauded for their efforts and the contribution to a great day out.

Back to the drawing board again now for Armagh but I think we all knew this was a tough game that could have went either way and that certainly was the case...Onwards and upwards (hopefully). Good luck again Galway. As for the incident at the end of the normal time match...Don't know the lad but i'm sure he'll get a hefty suspension and being out long term with an injury it prob won't impact him too much but i'm guessing the trial by social media and the flak he'll take from this will far outweigh any GAA suspension he'll get. I know he's only a young lad and i'm not excusing what he done as it was disgraceful but i can only imagine he'll never do that again...(Here's hoping)
A fair summation of the game.

yellowcard

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 27, 2022, 01:21:35 PM
Forgot to mention Comer. I was giving out about him and his antics to my brother during the game. Fair enough they probably weren't that bad but they annoyed me. However, once Galway scored the winner and their players were all celebrating - nothing wrong with that - Comer went and shook the hands of every Armagh player. Speaks volumes about him. Fair play.

Noticed that myself and that's exactly the way it should be. As a competitor you do whatever it takes to win the match but when its over leave it on the pitch.

JoeSoap

It's 100% a red card.

If I was McGeeney I'd kick that eye gouger off the panel for a year myself.

The rest was handbags and a load of nonsense as usual, it looks bad but all they need to do is have the players go in at separate times. Easy fix.

An amazing game that I can't believe Galway let slip in normal time, they were much the better side once they rode the Armagh wave in the first 20 minutes. Credit to Armagh's mental strength to come back but they needed cool heads then at full time, if they just got down the tunnel with no nonsense I think they'd have come out and blown Galway away.

Finnerty, Tierney and McDaid were sensational for Galway. Can't wait for that semi-final, it should be a cracker.

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 27, 2022, 01:21:22 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 27, 2022, 12:29:42 PM
Theyve been at it before Donaghy arrived on the ticket.
Im not referring to the gouging because thats a separate thing thats unexplainable.
Open your eyes man. James Morgan and Greg McCabe are card magnets and dont help themselves or the team with their nonsense.
There are a few others who are a shoe-in for cards every game. Armagh are a betting man's dream when it comes to cards.
You are a bullshitter. Morgan has in the past been rash and card prone. Over the last 10 or 12 years Armagh have not been involved a lot of this stuff as you suggest. This year they have been involved in 3 instances which is too much, but this happening the length and breadth of the country at club and county level your allegation that Armagh are some how world leaders at it does not stack.

So we're into personal insults now because you disagree strongly with an opinion.
Classy. Then again i shouldnt be surprised.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 27, 2022, 01:28:50 PM
S
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 12:58:19 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 12:53:37 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 12:51:23 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on June 27, 2022, 10:58:05 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 10:08:46 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 09:41:51 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:34:57 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:31:57 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:25:52 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:23:26 AM

We'll agree to disagree, in the world of finance the GAA will listen to the likes of Joyce and the public opinion on using penalties, with pressure being applied from sponsors and media. We seen the reality of the plan yesterday and I expect some head scratching in Croke Park this morning. There would have to be compromise and the Dublin Meath saga could never happen again but after such a high profile game yesterday the GAA will use it to make a slight change again imo.

The world of finance? The GAA are turning down lucrative replays here. For once, we can't throw the finance thing at them

😂.. no we can't to be fair but is it sustainable? My opinion like many is more about fairness on the players but when we think about it, the GAA are potentially throwing away over €1million, imagine a semi final goes the same way as yesterday. Media and sponsors would of loved another Armagh v Galway game in a packed stadium. I think decide on the day in the first match is crazy and when common sense takes over the authorities will all agree.

But we can't have it both ways, especially in these times. Are we expecting players and supporters of one of teh teams go out to Croke Park 3 weekends in a row now? We've known about this all year. A big game would always have these discussions, but we'll get used to it and move on
Happily. Cut ticket prices for a replay though.

Well of course you'd say that this morning. But it's not just price (and they used to cut replay prices alright). Just next weekend was meant to be off for players, and now we have some saying 3 weeks in a row is no issue, with the final 2 weeks after. Potentially 4 games in 5 weeks? Nah way...

Ah ffs catch yourself on, players would play a game every night of the week to get to an AI semi-final.

Of course they would. That's literally my point, but it wouldn't be fair on them. But it's not up to the GAA to flog them like that, they have to think on that stuff now. There's a reason we don't leave these decisions to the players. The right call was made with penalties seeing as we have a split season.
Ah in fairness at that level those lads could play 2 days in a row. Molloy from Galway played twice in one day for NUIG and Corofin I'm nearly sure once as well. A week is plenty of time to recover to be honest. I know it's a different level but I've seen club teams in Armagh play Sunday Wednesday Friday Sunday.

And we see players like Clifford being bollixed as he was made play 2 games in one day when the Sigerson was on. He's only now coming back from injuries. No sports scientist on the planet would allow 2 high intensity games in 2 days. They're amateurs, they need recovery. What is to be gained from flogging them?

That's is an entirely different matter as it was for 2 different teams which is fair enough.

You however are arguing about players having to play 3 weekends in a row as if that is some big deal. 

As Armagh18 just said to another poster 'tell me you never kicked a ball without telling me you never kicked a ball'.

It's not really. O'Connor played him in a pre season tournament rather than not risking him after he played Sigerson. No real need to go 3 weeks in a row of games the intensity of All Ireland QFs and then a SF. No need for it these days, and the calendar doesn't allow it now. I have played ball btw. A while ago to be fair, although still play club hurling.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 27, 2022, 01:35:32 PM
Im not referring to the gouging because thats a separate thing thats unexplainable.
Open your eyes man. James Morgan and Greg McCabe are card magnets and dont help themselves or the team with their nonsense.
There are a few others who are a shoe-in for cards every game. Armagh are a betting man's dream when it comes to cards.
You are a bullshitter. Morgan has in the past been rash and card prone. Over the last 10 or 12 years Armagh have not been involved a lot of this stuff as you suggest. This year they have been involved in 3 instances which is too much, but this happening the length and breadth of the country at club and county level your allegation that Armagh are some how world leaders at it does not stack.

So we're into personal insults now because you disagree strongly with an opinion.
Its not personal, its not an insult, you are bullshitting and labelling a whole county and its players as perennial thugs based on zero evidence. I don't know you so can only comment on your posts and not you personally.

charlieTully

Just enjoy thier loss Brick. Still buzzing.

Westside

McGeeney let himself down badly in the interview after the game. Turning three question on the journalist and asking him what he'd do if he was pushed. McGeeney enjoys his hard man reputation too much to really stamp out this sort of thing among his panel. What's this, 9 years and not even a final appearance in Championship?

general_lee

Quote from: charlieTully on June 27, 2022, 01:40:45 PM

Just enjoy thier loss Brick. Still buzzing.
Lol be a while before you lot get a run out at Croke park. Maybe one of your refs will you can all go and support him ;D

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 27, 2022, 01:40:37 PM

Its not personal, you are bullshitting and labelling a whole county and its players as perennial thugs based on zero evidence.

You personally insulted me. Its black n white.
Where did i label a whole county and its players as perennial thugs. Those are your own words not mine. Be careful.
Theres plenty of evidence to suggest that Armagh have several players with issues when it comes to controlling aggression, breaking playing rules, getting themselves carded.

I actually think Armagh folk are a great bunch. Have had many a positive interaction with them on and off the pitch for last 30 years and count them as good friends.
Im actually a fan of the football they play. How could you not be.
Im not sure where all this hate and anger comes from today.

Keyser soze

I've played championship 3 times in a week at one stage in the past.  Unforgettable sequence of games and would have loved to have had the opportunity to do that every season. As would every other person involved when we chat about it.

Or maybe the adverse effect the traumatic experience of playing so many high intensity games has had on the oul mental health has distorted our reality

Any player would give their left nut to get playing 3 massive games in Croke Park 3 weeks in a row. Anybody that says different must be smoking ganga or otherwise off their f45860g rocker.

general_lee

Quote from: Taylor on June 27, 2022, 12:17:52 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 27, 2022, 12:09:36 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 27, 2022, 11:49:22 AM
Its all in the coaching and team culture built up over a number of years. If anyone thinks that McKLeever and McGeeneys 'style' isnt all over that team then they need their heads read.
Monkey see monkey do.
Its premeditated not to ever actually strike. Becasue thats a sending off offence. So lads, no striking whatever you do.
But make sure you grapple, wrestle, grab, twist and hold onto him like your life depends on it and dont ever back down or let go first. Thats a sign of weakness and we cant have that, because after all, we're all big men and we like to flex how big we are.

Whilst there is alot to admire about Armagh's journey and football theyve played, they still get involved too much, indulge in thuggish shite and foul too easily. Their obsession with chest beating macho bull shit and insistence in turning every game into a dick-measuring contest was always gonna bite them at some stage.
Theyve lost this particular dick-measuring contest and its gonna hurt for a while.
I've read some shite on here (mostly Tyrone and Derry people, ironically) chastising Armagh for yesterdays handbags. I'm not sure Armagh are coached to do anything specifically in terms of dark arts but the only criticism I'll accept is that the management clearly haven't learned anything this year in terms of other teams riling them up.

I've asked it before but what exactly do Armagh, or any team for that matter, have to gain by starting a melee? There is literally nothing to be achieved from a premeditated melee.  Fair criticism of McGeeney/McKeever would be that their players fall for this shite too much: happened with Donegal, it happened with Tyrone and it happened again yesterday. TK deserves a hefty ban and if the powers that be make an example of him, so be it; moronic behaviour from him and something he shouldn't have involved himself with.

What has this got to do with yesterday.

The Armagh #2 ran after Comer and barged into him on the way to the tunnel.

Thats how the melee started
No it's not, Comer went for James Morgan after something between him and Walsh, that's how it started. Forker then got involved and straight away both teams went into full handbag mode

Wildweasel74

End of the day managers attitude is alot to blame especially McGeeney Attitude. Dublin were the masters of goading to Pat Kilroy came onboard and cut it out over night. Armagh been involved in 3 pile on this year. Bad one few yrs ago against Cavan, and the worst one was a U-21 game with Tyrone a few yrs bck. It doesn't happen in soccer/Rugby cause they issues punishments for such. And the general attitude is there's nothing wrong with it. No wonder children now aday grow up  with attitude of its someone else fault. And on the row, the initial instigator was Morgan not Comer, who shouldn't been on the field after blindsiding Walsh earlier.