Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

Instead of playing the man in this instance, maybe youll tell me where im wrong.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 12:53:37 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 12:51:23 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on June 27, 2022, 10:58:05 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 10:08:46 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 09:41:51 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:34:57 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:31:57 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:25:52 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:23:26 AM

We'll agree to disagree, in the world of finance the GAA will listen to the likes of Joyce and the public opinion on using penalties, with pressure being applied from sponsors and media. We seen the reality of the plan yesterday and I expect some head scratching in Croke Park this morning. There would have to be compromise and the Dublin Meath saga could never happen again but after such a high profile game yesterday the GAA will use it to make a slight change again imo.

The world of finance? The GAA are turning down lucrative replays here. For once, we can't throw the finance thing at them

😂.. no we can't to be fair but is it sustainable? My opinion like many is more about fairness on the players but when we think about it, the GAA are potentially throwing away over €1million, imagine a semi final goes the same way as yesterday. Media and sponsors would of loved another Armagh v Galway game in a packed stadium. I think decide on the day in the first match is crazy and when common sense takes over the authorities will all agree.

But we can't have it both ways, especially in these times. Are we expecting players and supporters of one of teh teams go out to Croke Park 3 weekends in a row now? We've known about this all year. A big game would always have these discussions, but we'll get used to it and move on
Happily. Cut ticket prices for a replay though.

Well of course you'd say that this morning. But it's not just price (and they used to cut replay prices alright). Just next weekend was meant to be off for players, and now we have some saying 3 weeks in a row is no issue, with the final 2 weeks after. Potentially 4 games in 5 weeks? Nah way...

Ah ffs catch yourself on, players would play a game every night of the week to get to an AI semi-final.

Of course they would. That's literally my point, but it wouldn't be fair on them. But it's not up to the GAA to flog them like that, they have to think on that stuff now. There's a reason we don't leave these decisions to the players. The right call was made with penalties seeing as we have a split season.
Ah in fairness at that level those lads could play 2 days in a row. Molloy from Galway played twice in one day for NUIG and Corofin I'm nearly sure once as well. A week is plenty of time to recover to be honest. I know it's a different level but I've seen club teams in Armagh play Sunday Wednesday Friday Sunday.

And we see players like Clifford being bollixed as he was made play 2 games in one day when the Sigerson was on. He's only now coming back from injuries. No sports scientist on the planet would allow 2 high intensity games in 2 days. They're amateurs, they need recovery. What is to be gained from flogging them?

johnnycool

Quote from: full moon on June 27, 2022, 12:43:42 PM
The brawl really didn't help Armagh this time, the momentum was all with them, it felt like there was a long delay from normal time to extra time starting to deal with the brawl.

Credit to both teams though

Hugely understated fact that.

Armagh were on the crest of a wave, pulling back what looked like an unsurmountable Galway lead. Galway defence were at 6's and 7's.

If you were from Armagh you'd have wanted extra time to start right away, rather than the protracted delay which gave the Galway lads a chance to regain their focus.

Momentum is key, Armagh had it at the final whistle but went mad at a nothing coming together between Comer and the fullback, subs and extended panel need a boot up the hole.

As for McGeeney, I wouldn't expect anything less from him in defending his players in public but behind the scenes he needs to be more measured and decisive in their discipline.
Next year everyone and their dog will be onto them and they need to be squeaky clean.

marty34

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 12:48:22 PM
Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 12:29:38 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 11:51:32 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 27, 2022, 11:38:59 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 27, 2022, 11:34:37 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 11:22:37 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 27, 2022, 11:16:29 AM
So there you are now. Some thoughts.

It was fantastic entertainment.
Rian O'Neill is a serious player. What a huge performance. Great score at the end but he was everywhere. But he is all Armagh have. A lot of the rest of them are limited players.
The sending off was a funny one. Initally I thought it very harsh, felt a yellow was enough but looking at it again last night I can see why Coldrick gave it.
Galway are a good team. A lot of Armagh ppl felt that it was only a matter of turning up. Had heard a lot of stories of Armagh fans getting carried away. Galway didn't get caught in the hype and after they settled they went about their business with great efficiency. They did shite the togs. They need to learn how to lose games out.

The row was the row and yer man made a bollocks of himself. Everyone will get off no matter what suspensions the GAA throw at them. Coldrick made a balls of it. Contributing to a melee is the referees get out of jail card. But this is a problem of the GAAs making. They have let Armagh off all year and they will continue to behave this way. Dublin and Kerry also got let off similarly.

If the GAA are serious about dealing with the issue they need to address the mess that is the rulebook. A referees report must be sacrosanct. No reds overturned ever. No matter what. If the ref gets it wrong, he gets it wrong. Tough. Use only video to retrospectively ban for serious foul play missed by the referee. If he deals with it, then that's the matter closed. No appeals on technicalities because the report wasn't submitted in 4 different versions of Irish or this nonsense.
So Coldrick made a balls of it but the refs report must be sacrosanct. If you're winding at least don't make it so obvious. Sean Kelly doesn't deserve to miss an all ireland semi final. Thought the ref was woeful all day tbh.

I'm not winding. If Coldrick thought he had any power he'd have lined 15 from each side. The rulebook is a mess and then by extension so was his handling of the row.
I was kind of on your side but you know what you're proving everyone's point. Armagh can do no wrong. It's their responsibility. There is a clear Armagh directive, one in all in. Can't send us all off boys. They all pumped up out of their minds like McGeeney was when he played.

Armagh are playing with the big boys now and need to realise that every single incident will be poured over. Tyrone live with this daily.

Tyrone haven't lived with it much this year anyway, they were long gone before the championship had even begun in earnest.

Sean Kelly will get off on appeal because looking at the replay he done nothing to warrant a red card. The Galway player that swung a punch at Kelly should get banned and after that it was all argy bargy stuff with very little actual foul play. But the media will make a big deal of it as usual and big bad Armagh will probably get the blame.
Genuinely hope he does get off-very unfair on him. Will Nugent and Greg's suspension carry to next year? They both deserve to get off too. 

Don't think you'll find too many people complaining if that lad gets off too.

Why Mc Cabe?

His was a deserved red.
A yellow at best imo. Split second off being a perfect tackle- if you're getting red carded for that then may as well make it non contact

You must be the only person who thinks it's a yellow.

Dangerously high.

It doesn't matter if it's a second off or the intention was to go shoulder to shoulder.

Armagh18

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 12:58:19 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 12:53:37 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 12:51:23 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on June 27, 2022, 10:58:05 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 10:08:46 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 09:41:51 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:34:57 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:31:57 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:25:52 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:23:26 AM

We'll agree to disagree, in the world of finance the GAA will listen to the likes of Joyce and the public opinion on using penalties, with pressure being applied from sponsors and media. We seen the reality of the plan yesterday and I expect some head scratching in Croke Park this morning. There would have to be compromise and the Dublin Meath saga could never happen again but after such a high profile game yesterday the GAA will use it to make a slight change again imo.

The world of finance? The GAA are turning down lucrative replays here. For once, we can't throw the finance thing at them

😂.. no we can't to be fair but is it sustainable? My opinion like many is more about fairness on the players but when we think about it, the GAA are potentially throwing away over €1million, imagine a semi final goes the same way as yesterday. Media and sponsors would of loved another Armagh v Galway game in a packed stadium. I think decide on the day in the first match is crazy and when common sense takes over the authorities will all agree.

But we can't have it both ways, especially in these times. Are we expecting players and supporters of one of teh teams go out to Croke Park 3 weekends in a row now? We've known about this all year. A big game would always have these discussions, but we'll get used to it and move on
Happily. Cut ticket prices for a replay though.

Well of course you'd say that this morning. But it's not just price (and they used to cut replay prices alright). Just next weekend was meant to be off for players, and now we have some saying 3 weeks in a row is no issue, with the final 2 weeks after. Potentially 4 games in 5 weeks? Nah way...

Ah ffs catch yourself on, players would play a game every night of the week to get to an AI semi-final.

Of course they would. That's literally my point, but it wouldn't be fair on them. But it's not up to the GAA to flog them like that, they have to think on that stuff now. There's a reason we don't leave these decisions to the players. The right call was made with penalties seeing as we have a split season.
Ah in fairness at that level those lads could play 2 days in a row. Molloy from Galway played twice in one day for NUIG and Corofin I'm nearly sure once as well. A week is plenty of time to recover to be honest. I know it's a different level but I've seen club teams in Armagh play Sunday Wednesday Friday Sunday.

And we see players like Clifford being bollixed as he was made play 2 games in one day when the Sigerson was on. He's only now coming back from injuries. No sports scientist on the planet would allow 2 high intensity games in 2 days. They're amateurs, they need recovery. What is to be gained from flogging them?
a full week off would be fine I wasn't seriously suggesting that a replay happens today.

imtommygunn

Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 01:01:02 PM

Rian O'Neill is a serious player. What a huge performance. Great score at the end but he was everywhere. But he is all Armagh have. A lot of the rest of them are limited players.
The sending off was a funny one. Initally I thought it very harsh, felt a yellow was enough but looking at it again last night I can see why Coldrick gave it.
Galway are a good team. A lot of Armagh ppl felt that it was only a matter of turning up. Had heard a lot of stories of Armagh fans getting carried away. Galway didn't get caught in the hype and after they settled they went about their business with great efficiency. They did shite the togs. They need to learn how to lose games out.

The row was the row and yer man made a bollocks of himself. Everyone will get off no matter what suspensions the GAA throw at them. Coldrick made a balls of it. Contributing to a melee is the referees get out of jail card. But this is a problem of the GAAs making. They have let Armagh off all year and they will continue to behave this way. Dublin and Kerry also got let off similarly.

If the GAA are serious about dealing with the issue they need to address the mess that is the rulebook. A referees report must be sacrosanct. No reds overturned ever. No matter what. If the ref gets it wrong, he gets it wrong. Tough. Use only video to retrospectively ban for serious foul play missed by the referee. If he deals with it, then that's the matter closed. No appeals on technicalities because the report wasn't submitted in 4 different versions of Irish or this nonsense.
So Coldrick made a balls of it but the refs report must be sacrosanct. If you're winding at least don't make it so obvious. Sean Kelly doesn't deserve to miss an all ireland semi final. Thought the ref was woeful all day tbh.

I'm not winding. If Coldrick thought he had any power he'd have lined 15 from each side. The rulebook is a mess and then by extension so was his handling of the row.
I was kind of on your side but you know what you're proving everyone's point. Armagh can do no wrong. It's their responsibility. There is a clear Armagh directive, one in all in. Can't send us all off boys. They all pumped up out of their minds like McGeeney was when he played.

Armagh are playing with the big boys now and need to realise that every single incident will be poured over. Tyrone live with this daily.

Tyrone haven't lived with it much this year anyway, they were long gone before the championship had even begun in earnest.

Sean Kelly will get off on appeal because looking at the replay he done nothing to warrant a red card. The Galway player that swung a punch at Kelly should get banned and after that it was all argy bargy stuff with very little actual foul play. But the media will make a big deal of it as usual and big bad Armagh will probably get the blame.
Genuinely hope he does get off-very unfair on him. Will Nugent and Greg's suspension carry to next year? They both deserve to get off too. 

Why Mc Cabe?

His was a deserved red.
A yellow at best imo. Split second off being a perfect tackle- if you're getting red carded for that then may as well make it non contact

Dangerously high.

It doesn't matter if it's a second off or the intention was to go shoulder to shoulder.

Loads of people thought that was only yellow.

Armagh18

Why Mc Cabe?

His was a deserved red.

Dangerously high.

[/b] It should. Imo lads shouldn't be getting sent in the white heat of championship for mistimed challenges.

marty34

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 01:09:39 PM

Why Mc Cabe?

His was a deserved red.

Dangerously high.

[/b] It should. Imo lads shouldn't be getting sent in the white heat of championship for mistimed challenges.

Lol.

Is this a joke?

smort

Why Mc Cabe?

His was a deserved red.

Dangerously high.

They absolutely should

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 27, 2022, 01:05:41 PM

Why Mc Cabe?

His was a deserved red.

Dangerously high.

Loads of Armagh people thought that was only yellow.

imtommygunn

Applesisapples

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 27, 2022, 12:29:42 PM
Theyve been at it before Donaghy arrived on the ticket.
Im not referring to the gouging because thats a separate thing thats unexplainable.
Open your eyes man. James Morgan and Greg McCabe are card magnets and dont help themselves or the team with their nonsense.
There are a few others who are a shoe-in for cards every game. Armagh are a betting man's dream when it comes to cards.
You are a bullshitter. Morgan has in the past been rash and card prone. Over the last 10 or 12 years Armagh have not been involved a lot of this stuff as you suggest. This year they have been involved in 3 instances which is too much, but this happening the length and breadth of the country at club and county level your allegation that Armagh are some how world leaders at it does not stack.

tonto1888

Forgot to mention Comer. I was giving out about him and his antics to my brother during the game. Fair enough they probably weren't that bad but they annoyed me. However, once Galway scored the winner and their players were all celebrating - nothing wrong with that - Comer went and shook the hands of every Armagh player. Speaks volumes about him. Fair play.

J70

Why Mc Cabe?

His was a deserved red.

Dangerously high.

When it endangers their opponent they should.

A dangerous, reckless challenge should always be a red card, regardless of whether it was intended or not.

If you're going to shoulder charge, the responsibility is on you to get it right. If you can't do it safely within the rules, you can have no complaints about being punished. Two men running parallel for a loose ball is fair game. Coming in from the side to horse a man out of it shoulder to shoulder is fair game. Launching yourself at a lad who is twisting and turning is asking for trouble for both yourself and him.

seafoid

50 pages. It's a long time since Galway footballers got such attention.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU