Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I don't think Kelly knew. You could tell by the look on his face he was surprised / shocked.

trailer

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 11:22:37 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 27, 2022, 11:16:29 AM
So there you are now. Some thoughts.

It was fantastic entertainment.
Rian O'Neill is a serious player. What a huge performance. Great score at the end but he was everywhere. But he is all Armagh have. A lot of the rest of them are limited players.
The sending off was a funny one. Initally I thought it very harsh, felt a yellow was enough but looking at it again last night I can see why Coldrick gave it.
Galway are a good team. A lot of Armagh ppl felt that it was only a matter of turning up. Had heard a lot of stories of Armagh fans getting carried away. Galway didn't get caught in the hype and after they settled they went about their business with great efficiency. They did shite the togs. They need to learn how to lose games out.

The row was the row and yer man made a bollocks of himself. Everyone will get off no matter what suspensions the GAA throw at them. Coldrick made a balls of it. Contributing to a melee is the referees get out of jail card. But this is a problem of the GAAs making. They have let Armagh off all year and they will continue to behave this way. Dublin and Kerry also got let off similarly.

If the GAA are serious about dealing with the issue they need to address the mess that is the rulebook. A referees report must be sacrosanct. No reds overturned ever. No matter what. If the ref gets it wrong, he gets it wrong. Tough. Use only video to retrospectively ban for serious foul play missed by the referee. If he deals with it, then that's the matter closed. No appeals on technicalities because the report wasn't submitted in 4 different versions of Irish or this nonsense.
So Coldrick made a balls of it but the refs report must be sacrosanct. If you're winding at least don't make it so obvious. Sean Kelly doesn't deserve to miss an all ireland semi final. Thought the ref was woeful all day tbh.

I'm not winding. If Coldrick thought he had any power he'd have lined 15 from each side. The rulebook is a mess and then by extension so was his handling of the row.
I was kind of on your side but you know what you're proving everyone's point. Armagh can do no wrong. It's their responsibility. There is a clear Armagh directive, one in all in. Can't send us all off boys. They all pumped up out of their minds like McGeeney was when he played.

Armagh are playing with the big boys now and need to realise that every single incident will be poured over. Tyrone live with this daily.

yellowcard

Quote from: trailer on June 27, 2022, 11:34:37 AM

Rian O'Neill is a serious player. What a huge performance. Great score at the end but he was everywhere. But he is all Armagh have. A lot of the rest of them are limited players.
The sending off was a funny one. Initally I thought it very harsh, felt a yellow was enough but looking at it again last night I can see why Coldrick gave it.
Galway are a good team. A lot of Armagh ppl felt that it was only a matter of turning up. Had heard a lot of stories of Armagh fans getting carried away. Galway didn't get caught in the hype and after they settled they went about their business with great efficiency. They did shite the togs. They need to learn how to lose games out.

The row was the row and yer man made a bollocks of himself. Everyone will get off no matter what suspensions the GAA throw at them. Coldrick made a balls of it. Contributing to a melee is the referees get out of jail card. But this is a problem of the GAAs making. They have let Armagh off all year and they will continue to behave this way. Dublin and Kerry also got let off similarly.

If the GAA are serious about dealing with the issue they need to address the mess that is the rulebook. A referees report must be sacrosanct. No reds overturned ever. No matter what. If the ref gets it wrong, he gets it wrong. Tough. Use only video to retrospectively ban for serious foul play missed by the referee. If he deals with it, then that's the matter closed. No appeals on technicalities because the report wasn't submitted in 4 different versions of Irish or this nonsense.
So Coldrick made a balls of it but the refs report must be sacrosanct. If you're winding at least don't make it so obvious. Sean Kelly doesn't deserve to miss an all ireland semi final. Thought the ref was woeful all day tbh.

I'm not winding. If Coldrick thought he had any power he'd have lined 15 from each side. The rulebook is a mess and then by extension so was his handling of the row.
I was kind of on your side but you know what you're proving everyone's point. Armagh can do no wrong. It's their responsibility. There is a clear Armagh directive, one in all in. Can't send us all off boys. They all pumped up out of their minds like McGeeney was when he played.

Armagh are playing with the big boys now and need to realise that every single incident will be poured over. Tyrone live with this daily.

Tyrone haven't lived with it much this year anyway, they were long gone before the championship had even begun in earnest.

Sean Kelly will get off on appeal because looking at the replay he done nothing to warrant a red card. The Galway player that swung a punch at Kelly should get banned and after that it was all argy bargy stuff with very little actual foul play. But the media will make a big deal of it as usual and big bad Armagh will probably get the blame. 

Armamike

McGeeney hit hard but when was he ever sent off or involved in a melee?
That's just, like your opinion man.

trailer

Quote from: yellowcard on June 27, 2022, 11:38:59 AM

Tyrone haven't lived with it much this year anyway, they were long gone before the championship had even begun in earnest.

Sean Kelly will get off on appeal because looking at the replay he done nothing to warrant a red card. The Galway player that swung a punch at Kelly should get banned and after that it was all argy bargy stuff with very little actual foul play. But the media will make a big deal of it as usual and big bad Armagh will probably get the blame.

Jesus Christ. A person could have lost his sight.
If Armagh owned up here ppl would have more sympathy.

yellowcard

Quote from: trailer on June 27, 2022, 11:43:59 AM

I don't think anybody is condoning the gouging but don't start over dramatising it either saying he could have lost his sight. Kelly will get rightly banned together with the Galway lad that swung the punch back at him but I was talking about everything else that went on. However its a bit rich for Tyrone fans to be jumping in looking for players to get lynched.   

Brick Tamlin

Its all in the coaching and team culture built up over a number of years. If anyone thinks that McKLeever and McGeeneys 'style' isnt all over that team then they need their heads read.
Monkey see monkey do.
Its premeditated not to ever actually strike. Becasue thats a sending off offence. So lads, no striking whatever you do.
But make sure you grapple, wrestle, grab, twist and hold onto him like your life depends on it and dont ever back down or let go first. Thats a sign of weakness and we cant have that, because after all, we're all big men and we like to flex how big we are.

Whilst there is alot to admire about Armagh's journey and football theyve played, they still get involved too much, indulge in thuggish shite and foul too easily. Their obsession with chest beating macho bull shit and insistence in turning every game into a dick-measuring contest was always gonna bite them at some stage.
Theyve lost this particular dick-measuring contest and its gonna hurt for a while.

Armagh18

Genuinely hope he does get off-very unfair on him. Will Nugent and Greg's suspension carry to next year? They both deserve to get off too. 

Don't think you'll find too many people complaining if that lad gets off too.

marty34

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 11:17:54 AM
Quote from: WT4E on June 27, 2022, 11:09:34 AM
Quote from: Taylor on June 27, 2022, 10:50:20 AM
Quote from: WT4E on June 27, 2022, 10:41:32 AM
Quote from: Armamike on June 27, 2022, 10:33:08 AM
Highly disappointing to see us involved in another fracas.  It has to stop.  I can't fathom that our management would send the players out to do that - but it's something that has to be forcibly drilled in from here on.  No more of it.  If the GAA don't have anything in place to stop 2 teams who are pumped up after a hard fought finish running down the tunnel together then we have to get our own house in order and instruct our players to wait on the pitch.

It wasn't the GAA fault
Its hard to believe that its not drilled into Armagh to start rows considering the amount of incidents Armagh are involved in
Its rumoured they coach MMA
Ironically one of the only things barred in MMA is eye gouging!

As much as I dislike them being an opposing county the above is a complete load of shite.

How do you drill it into a team to start rows?

Its a psychological thing - the way they are coached. For example do you see other counties get into this type scenario this often. Take the Dubs or Kerry they have players who are targeted continually but they must drum it into there team not to get involved because they rarely have scenarios even close to this.

Armagh had a good season but they have a reputation which has now defined them. We should be talking about how Rian O'Neill is an awesome footballer but all we are talking about is Armaghs usual dirty tricks!
Takes 2 to tango. Dublin and Kerry were at something very similar a few months ago so you must have a short memory.

Best player in Ireland imo. Clifford and Con maybe better forwards but Rian could play anywhere on the pitch and be top class at it.

Also there aren't too many players in the country who'd have had the balls to take that shot on and nail it like that after 70 minutes.

I think I heard on TSG last night that Dean Rock hasn't missed a free in this years championship?

Would that be right?

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on June 27, 2022, 11:43:59 AM

Don't be such a drama queen. Goes without saying no one is defending the gouging. Other than that? Just pushing and shoving even Sean Cavanagh said nothing wrong with it.

yellowcard

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 27, 2022, 11:49:22 AM
Its all in the coaching and team culture built up over a number of years. If anyone thinks that McKLeever and McGeeneys 'style' isnt all over that team then they need their heads read.
Monkey see monkey do.
Its premeditated not to ever actually strike. Becasue thats a sending off offence. So lads, no striking whatever you do.
But make sure you grapple, wrestle, grab, twist and hold onto him like your life depends on it and dont ever back down or let go first. Thats a sign of weakness and we cant have that, because after all, we're all big men and we like to flex how big we are.

Whilst there is alot to admire about Armagh's journey and football theyve played, they still get involved too much, indulge in thuggish shite and foul too easily. Their obsession with chest beating macho bull shit and insistence in turning every game into a dick-measuring contest was always gonna bite them at some stage.
Theyve lost this particular dick-measuring contest and its gonna hurt for a while.

Ridiculous to blame the manager and the defensive coach for an incident that happened on the pitch simply because they were tough players when they played themselves. The players on the pitch take responsibility for their own actions and one Armagh player stepped over the line. The rest of it is simply hand wringing and faux outrage from people with an anti Armagh agenda. 

armaghniac

Quote from: yellowcard on June 27, 2022, 11:55:08 AM
Monkey see monkey do.

Ridiculous to blame the manager and the defensive coach for an incident that happened on the pitch simply because they were tough players when they played themselves. The players on the pitch take responsibility for their own actions and one Armagh player stepped over the line. The rest of it is simply hand wringing and faux outrage from people with an anti Armagh agenda.

It is a bit disappointing that there is a still an "all in" approach after events earlier in the season. The problem with everyone piling in is that things get magnified and there is always a risk of a Tiernan Kelly type incident in the heat of the moment.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

Monkey see monkey do.

I've read some shite on here (mostly Tyrone and Derry people, ironically) chastising Armagh for yesterdays handbags. I'm not sure Armagh are coached to do anything specifically in terms of dark arts but the only criticism I'll accept is that the management clearly haven't learned anything this year in terms of other teams riling them up.

I've asked it before but what exactly do Armagh, or any team for that matter, have to gain by starting a melee? There is literally nothing to be achieved from a premeditated melee.  Fair criticism of McGeeney/McKeever would be that their players fall for this shite too much: happened with Donegal, it happened with Tyrone and it happened again yesterday. TK deserves a hefty ban and if the powers that be make an example of him, so be it; moronic behaviour from him and something he shouldn't have involved himself with.

johnnycool

Quote from: fearsiuil on June 27, 2022, 11:00:47 AM
The Galway sub/ panel member that swung after the gouging incident at Tiernan Kelly should see bit of a suspension also. Would be a handy way for all concerned to see these boys suspended, the Nugent & Seán Kelly reds rescinded and moving on allowing Galway a full hand v Derry. Penalising the extended panel and non playing individuals involved is fair in my opinion.

I hope it landed, but sadly not hard enough evidently.

Armagh sub was way out of order with the gouge, Comer couldn't protect himself from it, cheap shot.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Armamike on June 27, 2022, 11:29:26 AM

Your analysis doesn't really add up.  Rian is a special talent but if you've seen much of Armagh over the past few months you'll know we have a range of scorers in most matches.  Yesterday was the same.  He didn't exactly kick 1.20 for us.
If you use that analysis then Derry would have nothing without Mcguigan (1-08). Armagh have plenty of good players and unfortunately with injuries the panel was a little bare yesterday when it mattered.