marty34

Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 10:46:28 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 10:24:47 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 10:00:05 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 09:53:45 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 09:45:40 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 09:43:54 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on June 27, 2022, 09:19:23 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with penalties. Anyone who expects players and fans to go to croke park 3 weekends in a row in the middle of a cost of living crisis forgets all the whinging there used to be about how expensive it was for families beforehand.
I feel like some people just do not want anything that comes from soccer in the GAA. Its anglophobia and belongs in the past.

Penalties:
Losers hate them obviously.

Winners are happy but will say it's a terrible way to lose blah, blah, blah.

Neutrals think it's the best way to finish on the day.
Most neutrals seem to be saying it's no way to lose any match.

Yeah, but it's the way these games finish.

You'd think, from Armagh's point of view, that the referee just decided on penalties himself at the end of extra-time.

Sour grapes - Armagh lost. Raw now but that's life. It happened in the Munster game earlier this year and no one, outside Clare and Limerick, gave a fiddlers. It happens in club games.  Get over it ffs.

The main issue is this;
In the cold light of day, Galway were the better team. They almost threw it away.  Galway were 6 or 7 pts up in the 70+ mins. Armagh got lucky with the goals. Papered over that they were badly outplayed.

That's the reality.

The most vocal opponents to the pens post game was actually Pádraic Joyce and Sean Cavanagh. This goes beyond 'sour grapes' which I don't think the discussion is about. I think most football people accept it's a problem that needs looking at. I'd much rather listen to legends of the game to be honest who understand the effort required to compete at inter county level.

It is sour grapes.

As time passes, this will all move on. Of course Joyce would say that - every winning manager says that. It's the norm.

I don't like penalties either but it's the way it is.

I never hear a team in the run up to a match complaining about penalties being on the cards.

Galway probably practisied penalty kicks during the week. Did Armagh I wonder?

Armagh were well beat, got lucky with a few high balls but Galway were the better team.

Good luck to Galway, they're a serious team and set up who'll get very close to the All Ireland title which will show how good this Armagh team and set up are.

I've huge respect for Joyce for what he has achieved in the game and how he goes about setting his teams up, I'd tend to listen to what he says as he is a football man first and foremost and cares about the game.

As for a team being 'well beat' after drawing 90 minutes of football....are you ok?

I think Armagh's strength was the high ball, they might regret not using it enough but hard to criticise either team after such an epic that neither team lost in 90 minutes of normal play.

Take the orange glasses off.

Watch the game again. Armagh got lucky with the goals - it's a 1 in a 100 chance that, especially in gaelic football, that a team scores a couple of goals at the death. They were lucky. Bad defending by Galway or whatever but a finish like that it seldom happens.

Have a look on her near the end of the game. Armagh people saying Mc Geeney must go, same old Armagh etc. etc.

Galway were, by far the better team in the 2nd half. They controlled it and nearly threw it away.

Btw, I think Mc Geeney and his management has done an excellent job. A great Div. 1 campaign and a decent championship run. Lads will be willing to get at it again. Get a good S&C plan going again and they'll be ready for action next January.

yellowcard

Quote from: Taylor on June 27, 2022, 10:58:17 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 27, 2022, 10:52:14 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 10:48:02 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 10:28:28 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 27, 2022, 10:07:43 AM
If we had won that match it would have been a great steal but it is still hard to take given the nature of the defeat. That said I don't understand all the hand wringing over penalty kicks. The rules are the same for both sides and we had 100+ minutes to win the match and didn't do so. As well as Rafferty played, I thought that Armagh should have brought on an actual shot stopper for the penalty kicks. That was a huge mistake by management. 

Kelly will get suspended for the gouging incident but he is a young lad who got carried away with the emotion and will have regrets this morning but some of the reaction is way ott. 

As a fellow Ulster man I would like to see Derry get to an AI final but nor would I be too disappointed to see Galway there either as they have great supporters and have a long tradition of producing great footballers none more so than Padraig Joyce who was very gracious in victory afterwards.

Good post Yellowcard.

Funnily enough, lads on tv were talking about changing Rafferty for a 'normal keeper' in the last minute of extra-time.
Rafferty very close to a couple of the penalties plus he's a bigger presence in the net than Blaine. Probably one of those where you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

But he's not an actual goalkeeper. He is there for his size and kicking ability. He is too big to get down quickly for spot kicks. The safe decision was to stick with Rafferty but he has only been a goalkeeper for 6 months. I think Hughes who has trained as an actual goalkeeper for years would have been a much better choice. No guarantee he would have saved any but he would have given us a better chance.

As a player you would know that if you hit the target you have a great chance of scoring if the person in nets isnt a conventional goalkeeper.
This increases your chances of scoring rather than having to place it in a particular spot which the second Armagh player that missed had to do

Exactly right. If you're a Galway player you just have to focus purely on hitting the target and it puts less pressure on the kicker to force it into a corner. 

WT4E

Quote from: Taylor on June 27, 2022, 10:50:20 AM
Quote from: WT4E on June 27, 2022, 10:41:32 AM
Quote from: Armamike on June 27, 2022, 10:33:08 AM
Highly disappointing to see us involved in another fracas.  It has to stop.  I can't fathom that our management would send the players out to do that - but it's something that has to be forcibly drilled in from here on.  No more of it.  If the GAA don't have anything in place to stop 2 teams who are pumped up after a hard fought finish running down the tunnel together then we have to get our own house in order and instruct our players to wait on the pitch.

It wasn't the GAA fault
Its hard to believe that its not drilled into Armagh to start rows considering the amount of incidents Armagh are involved in
Its rumoured they coach MMA
Ironically one of the only things barred in MMA is eye gouging!

As much as I dislike them being an opposing county the above is a complete load of shite.

How do you drill it into a team to start rows?

Its a psychological thing - the way they are coached. For example do you see other counties get into this type scenario this often. Take the Dubs or Kerry they have players who are targeted continually but they must drum it into there team not to get involved because they rarely have scenarios even close to this.

Armagh had a good season but they have a reputation which has now defined them. We should be talking about how Rian O'Neill is an awesome footballer but all we are talking about is Armaghs usual dirty tricks!

6th sam

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 10:16:29 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 27, 2022, 10:14:06 AM
Morgan got nothing at the time for hitting Walsh on the blindside.
Didn't see that. Walsh could have had a black when he took Morgan out off the ball after Morgan was on a yellow.

The GAA seriously need to look At Melees. They are often "handbags" but seriously bad PR. The current sanctions aren't working and actually penalise normal human behaviour. If u see a friend in a headlock , you're going to want to protect him. It 10 of your opponents rush into melee you're not going to wait on the sidelines to see what happens.
Kelly and Nugent appeared to be peacemakers yet they're red carded. Previous sanctions have been rescinded as presumably legally unsound.
A few things to consider :
1.Subs outside the wire . Only minimal specific personnel inside the wire.
2.Those who pull people out are not treated the same as those who aggressively interject.
3.Heavy financial sanctions to teams

Finish on the day must stay. Replays mess up the calendar, are a further strain in amateur players, and financial strain on the punters . Perhaps 10 seconds to score from the edge of the D , might be a better option than penalties.

Mcgeeney is right about trial by media/social media. RTE's view has dictated rule changes in the past , and they have their own agenda. Eg They want replays as it's clearly good for RTE viewing figures and it's another payday for the pundits . Seán cavanagh's crocodile tears about his neighbours and Tyrone's biggest rivals losing out on penalties was laughable . The irony of the likes of Whelan and Cavanagh wringing their hands in disgust at foul play is even more hilarious .

Great game. Deal with melees going forward but keep the "win on the day".
Great championship so far and it will be finished in July so that 95% of players can enjoy club action for the rest of the year . Well done GAA

Rossfan

Will 5% not enjoy Club action?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

So there you are now. Some thoughts.

It was fantastic entertainment.
Rian O'Neill is a serious player. What a huge performance. Great score at the end but he was everywhere. But he is all Armagh have. A lot of the rest of them are limited players.
The sending off was a funny one. Initally I thought it very harsh, felt a yellow was enough but looking at it again last night I can see why Coldrick gave it.
Galway are a good team. A lot of Armagh ppl felt that it was only a matter of turning up. Had heard a lot of stories of Armagh fans getting carried away. Galway didn't get caught in the hype and after they settled they went about their business with great efficiency. They did shite the togs. They need to learn how to lose games out.

The row was the row and yer man made a bollocks of himself. Everyone will get off no matter what suspensions the GAA throw at them. Coldrick made a balls of it. Contributing to a melee is the referees get out of jail card. But this is a problem of the GAAs making. They have let Armagh off all year and they will continue to behave this way. Dublin and Kerry also got let off similarly.

If the GAA are serious about dealing with the issue they need to address the mess that is the rulebook. A referees report must be sacrosanct. No reds overturned ever. No matter what. If the ref gets it wrong, he gets it wrong. Tough. Use only video to retrospectively ban for serious foul play missed by the referee. If he deals with it, then that's the matter closed. No appeals on technicalities because the report wasn't submitted in 4 different versions of Irish or this nonsense.

Armamike

Highly disappointing to see us involved in another fracas.  It has to stop.  I can't fathom that our management would send the players out to do that - but it's something that has to be forcibly drilled in from here on.  No more of it.  If the GAA don't have anything in place to stop 2 teams who are pumped up after a hard fought finish running down the tunnel together then we have to get our own house in order and instruct our players to wait on the pitch.

It wasn't the GAA fault
Its hard to believe that its not drilled into Armagh to start rows considering the amount of incidents Armagh are involved in

I didn't say it was the fault of the GAA but (and here come the brickbats from the self righteous ones among us here)  it's fairly easy for the authorities to step in and cut any of this shite out in future by simply managing how the teams run off at half time.  They manage everything else down to the nth degree so why not this?  The guys on the Sunday game panels yesterday were saying the same.
That's just, like your opinion man.

yellowcard

Quote from: 6th sam on June 27, 2022, 11:13:00 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 10:16:29 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 27, 2022, 10:14:06 AM
Morgan got nothing at the time for hitting Walsh on the blindside.
Didn't see that. Walsh could have had a black when he took Morgan out off the ball after Morgan was on a yellow.

The GAA seriously need to look At Melees. They are often "handbags" but seriously bad PR. The current sanctions aren't working and actually penalise normal human behaviour. If u see a friend in a headlock , you're going to want to protect him. It 10 of your opponents rush into melee you're not going to wait on the sidelines to see what happens.
Kelly and Nugent appeared to be peacemakers yet they're red carded. Previous sanctions have been rescinded as presumably legally unsound.
A few things to consider :
1.Subs outside the wire . Only minimal specific personnel inside the wire.
2.Those who pull people out are not treated the same as those who aggressively interject.
3.Heavy financial sanctions to teams

Finish on the day must stay. Replays mess up the calendar, are a further strain in amateur players, and financial strain on the punters . Perhaps 10 seconds to score from the edge of the D , might be a better option than penalties.

Mcgeeney is right about trial by media/social media. RTE's view has dictated rule changes in the past , and they have their own agenda. Eg They want replays as it's clearly good for RTE viewing figures and it's another payday for the pundits . Seán cavanagh's crocodile tears about his neighbours and Tyrone's biggest rivals losing out on penalties was laughable . The irony of the likes of Whelan and Cavanagh wringing their hands in disgust at foul play is even more hilarious .

Great game. Deal with melees going forward but keep the "win on the day".
Great championship so far and it will be finished in July so that 95% of players can enjoy club action for the rest of the year . Well done GAA

I agree with a lot of what you say except that it hasn't been a great championship. Armagh have probably saved it, there were very few decent other matches that I can think of. 

Armagh18

Quote from: WT4E on June 27, 2022, 11:09:34 AM

It wasn't the GAA fault

As much as I dislike them being an opposing county the above is a complete load of shite.

Its a psychological thing - the way they are coached. For example do you see other counties get into this type scenario this often. Take the Dubs or Kerry they have players who are targeted continually but they must drum it into there team not to get involved because they rarely have scenarios even close to this.

Armagh had a good season but they have a reputation which has now defined them. We should be talking about how Rian O'Neill is an awesome footballer but all we are talking about is Armaghs usual dirty tricks!
Takes 2 to tango. Dublin and Kerry were at something very similar a few months ago so you must have a short memory.

Best player in Ireland imo. Clifford and Con maybe better forwards but Rian could play anywhere on the pitch and be top class at it.

Also there aren't too many players in the country who'd have had the balls to take that shot on and nail it like that after 70 minutes.

yellowcard

Quote from: trailer on June 27, 2022, 11:16:29 AM

Rian O'Neill is a serious player. What a huge performance. Great score at the end but he was everywhere. But he is all Armagh have. A lot of the rest of them are limited players.
The sending off was a funny one. Initally I thought it very harsh, felt a yellow was enough but looking at it again last night I can see why Coldrick gave it.
Galway are a good team. A lot of Armagh ppl felt that it was only a matter of turning up. Had heard a lot of stories of Armagh fans getting carried away. Galway didn't get caught in the hype and after they settled they went about their business with great efficiency. They did shite the togs. They need to learn how to lose games out.

The row was the row and yer man made a bollocks of himself. Everyone will get off no matter what suspensions the GAA throw at them. Coldrick made a balls of it. Contributing to a melee is the referees get out of jail card. But this is a problem of the GAAs making. They have let Armagh off all year and they will continue to behave this way. Dublin and Kerry also got let off similarly.

If the GAA are serious about dealing with the issue they need to address the mess that is the rulebook. A referees report must be sacrosanct. No reds overturned ever. No matter what. If the ref gets it wrong, he gets it wrong. Tough. Use only video to retrospectively ban for serious foul play missed by the referee. If he deals with it, then that's the matter closed. No appeals on technicalities because the report wasn't submitted in 4 different versions of Irish or this nonsense.

Did you actually watch the match? Rian O'Neill is a great player but probably didn't have his best match yesterday and Armagh have plenty of other good players so that is ridiculous to say that he is the only player we have. As for shiteing the togs, catch a grip one team has to lose and it's not like we threw away a big lead the game ebbed and flowed and Galway won on spot kicks. Its fine margins when it gets to that stage.

Gael80

Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 11:06:39 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 10:46:28 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 10:24:47 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 10:00:05 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 09:53:45 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 09:45:40 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 09:43:54 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on June 27, 2022, 09:19:23 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with penalties. Anyone who expects players and fans to go to croke park 3 weekends in a row in the middle of a cost of living crisis forgets all the whinging there used to be about how expensive it was for families beforehand.
I feel like some people just do not want anything that comes from soccer in the GAA. Its anglophobia and belongs in the past.

Penalties:
Losers hate them obviously.

Winners are happy but will say it's a terrible way to lose blah, blah, blah.

Neutrals think it's the best way to finish on the day.
Most neutrals seem to be saying it's no way to lose any match.

Yeah, but it's the way these games finish.

You'd think, from Armagh's point of view, that the referee just decided on penalties himself at the end of extra-time.

Sour grapes - Armagh lost. Raw now but that's life. It happened in the Munster game earlier this year and no one, outside Clare and Limerick, gave a fiddlers. It happens in club games.  Get over it ffs.

The main issue is this;
In the cold light of day, Galway were the better team. They almost threw it away.  Galway were 6 or 7 pts up in the 70+ mins. Armagh got lucky with the goals. Papered over that they were badly outplayed.

That's the reality.

The most vocal opponents to the pens post game was actually Pádraic Joyce and Sean Cavanagh. This goes beyond 'sour grapes' which I don't think the discussion is about. I think most football people accept it's a problem that needs looking at. I'd much rather listen to legends of the game to be honest who understand the effort required to compete at inter county level.

It is sour grapes.

As time passes, this will all move on. Of course Joyce would say that - every winning manager says that. It's the norm.

I don't like penalties either but it's the way it is.

I never hear a team in the run up to a match complaining about penalties being on the cards.

Galway probably practisied penalty kicks during the week. Did Armagh I wonder?

Armagh were well beat, got lucky with a few high balls but Galway were the better team.

Good luck to Galway, they're a serious team and set up who'll get very close to the All Ireland title which will show how good this Armagh team and set up are.

I've huge respect for Joyce for what he has achieved in the game and how he goes about setting his teams up, I'd tend to listen to what he says as he is a football man first and foremost and cares about the game.

As for a team being 'well beat' after drawing 90 minutes of football....are you ok?

I think Armagh's strength was the high ball, they might regret not using it enough but hard to criticise either team after such an epic that neither team lost in 90 minutes of normal play.

Take the orange glasses off.

Watch the game again. Armagh got lucky with the goals - it's a 1 in a 100 chance that, especially in gaelic football, that a team scores a couple of goals at the death. They were lucky. Bad defending by Galway or whatever but a finish like that it seldom happens.

Have a look on her near the end of the game. Armagh people saying Mc Geeney must go, same old Armagh etc. etc.

Galway were, by far the better team in the 2nd half. They controlled it and nearly threw it away.

Btw, I think Mc Geeney and his management has done an excellent job. A great Div. 1 campaign and a decent championship run. Lads will be willing to get at it again. Get a good S&C plan going again and they'll be ready for action next January.

Armagh started very well and went four up, I thought they controlled the game at that stage but a few handling errors cost them. At that stage of the game a dodgy free was given to Galway with what looked like he went down easily but small margins. Galway from then became defensively very solid and attacked with patience.

Armagh always looked dangerous though and even at 6 down when you have the kicking ability of Rafferty and a forward line as good as Armagh's always have a chance. The long balls in caused chaos and resulted in three goals, you can be lucky once but not three times, they were all great goals.

Armagh were excellent in extra time and I think if they scored the point straight after the third goal, that was three in it with Croke Park rocking, I don't think Galway recover from that. Also for their extra time goal there was a kick out that went straight to a Galway lad with Armagh then all over the place.

Galway probably shaded it overall but Armagh were well in it with the usual small margins - great game of football between two very good teams. There'll be more in both over the next few years.

JoG2

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 11:17:54 AM
Quote from: WT4E on June 27, 2022, 11:09:34 AM

It wasn't the GAA fault

Takes 2 to tango. Dublin and Kerry were at something very similar a few months ago so you must have a short memory. [/b]

Best player in Ireland imo. Clifford and Con maybe better forwards but Rian could play anywhere on the pitch and be top class at it.

Also there aren't too many players in the country who'd have had the balls to take that shot on and nail it like that after 70 minutes.

Similar? Yes, that it happened on a football pitch. This keeps getting totted out by Armagh folk. The Dublin Kerry incident was the very definition of footballing handbags. Involved only the onfield players, wasn't a punch thrown, an eye gouged and was over in seconds.

Armagh18

So Coldrick made a balls of it but the refs report must be sacrosanct. If you're winding at least don't make it so obvious. Sean Kelly doesn't deserve to miss an all ireland semi final. Thought the ref was woeful all day tbh.

Armamike

Your analysis doesn't really add up.  Rian is a special talent but if you've seen much of Armagh over the past few months you'll know we have a range of scorers in most matches.  Yesterday was the same.  He didn't exactly kick 1.20 for us.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Milltown Row2

Was listening to RTE radio on the way home from a game, so didn't see game till later, but they reported at the time the Coldrick went and spoke to both county sec's explained what he was going to do and they went to the changing rooms to speak to players..

So when they came out the players already knew they were getting sent off.. strange that it was the two captains as if it were an agreement of sorts .. very off considering the amount that was involved
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea