Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 27, 2022, 09:19:23 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with penalties. Anyone who expects players and fans to go to croke park 3 weekends in a row in the middle of a cost of living crisis forgets all the whinging there used to be about how expensive it was for families beforehand.
I feel like some people just do not want anything that comes from soccer in the GAA. Its anglophobia and belongs in the past.

Penalties:
Losers hate them obviously.

Winners are happy but will say it's a terrible way to lose blah, blah, blah.

Neutrals think it's the best way to finish on the day.

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 09:43:54 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with penalties. Anyone who expects players and fans to go to croke park 3 weekends in a row in the middle of a cost of living crisis forgets all the whinging there used to be about how expensive it was for families beforehand.
I feel like some people just do not want anything that comes from soccer in the GAA. Its anglophobia and belongs in the past.

Penalties:

Most neutrals seem to be saying it's no way to lose any match.

tiempo

Quote from: smort on June 27, 2022, 09:41:10 AM
Think i'd prefer penalties taken from the hands if we have to have penalty shootouts. People saying that other sports have penalties, but those penalties represent skills and actions that are practiced and performed in all moments of training/games, gaelic football does not have this. Only a few players on each team practice hitting stationary ballls from the ground into the net or over the bar, and these skills are often practiced outside of actually training time. What we need is something that all players partake in, at all times, a skill innate to the game

What fresh hell is this 😭

marty34

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 09:45:40 AM

Penalties:

Yeah, but it's the way these games finish.

You'd think, from Armagh's point of view, that the referee just decided on penalties himself at the end of extra-time.

Sour grapes - Armagh lost. Raw now but that's life. It happened in the Munster game earlier this year and no one, outside Clare and Limerick, gave a fiddlers. It happens in club games.  Get over it ffs.

The main issue is this;
In the cold light of day, Galway were the better team. They almost threw it away.  Galway were 6 or 7 pts up in the 70+ mins. Armagh got lucky with the goals. Papered over that they were badly outplayed.

That's the reality.

Applesisapples

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on June 26, 2022, 07:02:39 PM
The mask slipped again. Same old Armagh. They could start a fight over the drop of a hat. I wonder if it's that same old bitterness "ye forgot about us" begrudgery that a lot of republican nordies seem to harbour? Whatever the reason, I'm glad they have been well and truly exposed to the neutral.
Nice wee bit of trolling there. Galway man on TSG said it was started by Galway, but lets see the full video before jumping to conclusions.

Rudi

If a game finishes in a draw, extra time. If extra time finishes in a draw, replay. If the second game finishes in a draw after extra time, then penos to decide victor. Golden score or up to 3 points is not an option due to wind factor.

Gael80

Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 09:53:45 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 09:45:40 AM

Penalties:

Yeah, but it's the way these games finish.

You'd think, from Armagh's point of view, that the referee just decided on penalties himself at the end of extra-time.

Sour grapes - Armagh lost. Raw now but that's life. It happened in the Munster game earlier this year and no one, outside Clare and Limerick, gave a fiddlers. It happens in club games.  Get over it ffs.

The main issue is this;
In the cold light of day, Galway were the better team. They almost threw it away.  Galway were 6 or 7 pts up in the 70+ mins. Armagh got lucky with the goals. Papered over that they were badly outplayed.

That's the reality.

The most vocal opponents to the pens post game was actually Pádraic Joyce and Sean Cavanagh. This goes beyond 'sour grapes' which I don't think the discussion is about. I think most football people accept it's a problem that needs looking at. I'd much rather listen to legends of the game to be honest who understand the effort required to compete at inter county level.

Applesisapples

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 26, 2022, 10:08:26 PM
If the eye gouge wasn't intentional then what was he trying to do? I don't understand how it couldn't have been intentional tbh.
It looked pretty bad on TV, I can't see any mitigation, but heat of the moment and will surely be severely dealt with and rightly so but some of the stuff on twitter is way beyond the pale.

imtommygunn

It was always going to happen.

Wildweasel74

Everybody knew this rule for a while, was there any mass objection at the annual convention, more a attitude it never happen to us. Reality is Galway were better in most positions yesterday. Armagh had got well on top first 20/25mins but struggled badly in the 2nd Half, extra time was a even affair. Best game in years as some say, was littered with mistakes and 3 goalkeeper/defensive errors from Galway kept Armagh in the game. Only Campbell stood out for Armagh, as expected if you reduce O'Neill impact from play, Armagh do not have the threats elsewhere to heavily score.

seafoid

PJ

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2022/0626/1306973-joyce-choice-of-penalties-by-the-gaa-is-disgraceful/

"Overall I was impressed with the boys; they showed great character, and finally Galway have won a big match in Croke Park."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armamike

Quote from: Taylor on June 27, 2022, 08:44:21 AM
A lot of talking points.

The red card was harsh enough

ONeill could have saw red for a slap to the face - got a yellow instead so not sure how it was a yellow

Armagh #2 barged into Comer on the way off the field - that started the row - but bar the eye gouging nothing else really happened and the two boys who got the reds can feel rightly aggrieved

A lengthy ban for the eye gouging - the pitchforks are out in force online for that fella.

Galway keeper will not enjoy the game v Derry if he plays - will be put under immense pressure after yesterday

If people had such an issue with penalties then they should have been brought up long before now

While entertaining and exciting neither of these teams would be able to live with Derry

Not so sure about that. I'd expect Galway to give Derry plenty of craic.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Taylor

Not much chat of the time wasting in the second half from Galway when they went in front.

The amount of stoppages was scandalous and much of it play acting from their players.

yellowcard

If we had won that match it would have been a great steal but it is still hard to take given the nature of the defeat. That said I don't understand all the hand wringing over penalty kicks. The rules are the same for both sides and we had 100+ minutes to win the match and didn't do so. As well as Rafferty played, I thought that Armagh should have brought on an actual shot stopper for the penalty kicks. That was a huge mistake by management. 

Kelly will get suspended for the gouging incident but he is a young lad who got carried away with the emotion and will have regrets this morning but some of the reaction is way ott. 

As a fellow Ulster man I would like to see Derry get to an AI final but nor would I be too disappointed to see Galway there either as they have great supporters and have a long tradition of producing great footballers none more so than Padraig Joyce who was very gracious in victory afterwards.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 09:41:51 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:34:57 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:31:57 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:25:52 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:23:26 AM

We'll agree to disagree, in the world of finance the GAA will listen to the likes of Joyce and the public opinion on using penalties, with pressure being applied from sponsors and media. We seen the reality of the plan yesterday and I expect some head scratching in Croke Park this morning. There would have to be compromise and the Dublin Meath saga could never happen again but after such a high profile game yesterday the GAA will use it to make a slight change again imo.

The world of finance? The GAA are turning down lucrative replays here. For once, we can't throw the finance thing at them

😂.. no we can't to be fair but is it sustainable? My opinion like many is more about fairness on the players but when we think about it, the GAA are potentially throwing away over €1million, imagine a semi final goes the same way as yesterday. Media and sponsors would of loved another Armagh v Galway game in a packed stadium. I think decide on the day in the first match is crazy and when common sense takes over the authorities will all agree.

But we can't have it both ways, especially in these times. Are we expecting players and supporters of one of teh teams go out to Croke Park 3 weekends in a row now? We've known about this all year. A big game would always have these discussions, but we'll get used to it and move on
Happily. Cut ticket prices for a replay though.

Well of course you'd say that this morning. But it's not just price (and they used to cut replay prices alright). Just next weekend was meant to be off for players, and now we have some saying 3 weeks in a row is no issue, with the final 2 weeks after. Potentially 4 games in 5 weeks? Nah way...