Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 26, 2022, 10:12:11 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 26, 2022, 10:08:26 PM
If the eye gouge wasn't intentional then what was he trying to do? I don't understand how it couldn't have been intentional tbh.
Intentional or not he had absolutely no need to get involved at all let alone blindside a player and put his hand across his face. It's a peculiar approach if not trying to gouge. Anyway he'll be hung, drawn and quartered by the morning which always feels a bit off for an amateur sportsman.

When he could destroy the eye of a fellow amateur sportsman... then he deserves what he gets.
i usse an speelchekor

tonto1888

Quote from: Itchy on June 26, 2022, 10:07:49 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 26, 2022, 09:55:13 PM
Just home. Some thoughts.
1. Wel done Galway. Better team. Deserved winners. It was a smash and grab raid at the end from us. We never really got going otherwise.
2. The ref. No complaints. He gave some soft frees but against both teams. I thought McCabe made a fair but hard shoulder challenge but apparently he raised his arm so had to go.
3. The melee. Sadly we are the common denominator and while it looked like Comer was the instigator we have only ourselves to blame for getting involved. Again.
4. The gouge. I do not believe for one second, and won't be convinced otherwise, that he meant to do that. However he did it. The pictures don't look good and he will have to face the consequences of his own actions and take whatever ban comes his way.
5. Penalties. What more can I say. Gutted to lose that way

Lastly, and it is with a heavy heart that I wrote this. I am ashamed to be an Armagh fan today. My nephew is 5. He was in the toilet with his dad. 5 grown men. Armagh supporters, got into a fight. One of them knocked my nephew over. The lad is traumatised. He will get over it but will he want to go back to a game again? Woukd you blame him if he didn't. The guys were wearing Armagh tops. My nephew thought they were players ffs. At this stage I am not sure I want to go back to a game.

Anyway. Best of luck to Galway against Derry in the semifinal

I'm sorry to hear that about your nephew. Unfortunately big games bring the dickheads out of the woodwork. Get him going to league games where them boys are not at. I think you assessment is fair but the eye gouge looks so deliberate,  I just can't see any mitigation against it.

Cheers mate. He has been to loads of games all over the country already. We indoctrinate them early in our family haha. The poor lad was crying for an hour afterwards tho. He's pretty resilient tho so hopefully he will shake it off and be raring to go for the McKenna cup. Me on the other hand....

Rudi

My experience of Armagh & Crossmageln supporters is they have some of the very best & worst supporters in the Gaa. Big days bring out the thuggish bandwagoners.
Can remember being at an Ulster final many moons ago between Armagh & Donegal. Bus pulls up with Armagh supporters close to Stadium, thousands of people young & old around, Armagh woman in her 20s first off the bus, pulls down her Jean's & drawers, squats about 6 feet from the bus, takes a pee like shes at home. Classy.

Armagh18

Well done Galway- probably were the better team on the day, some very good players-hope Kelly gets his red overturned and no one else gets suspended. They deserve a full compliment for the semi and best of luck to them. . Absolutely gutting way to lose a game- a replay next weekend would have been fairer.

We really have the best fans in the country- place was absolutely rocking and the second game felt like it was being played in a library in comparison.

What a game- what a score from Rian to level it too. Would be a crime if that lad never wins sam.

We'll be back though.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 26, 2022, 10:13:58 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 26, 2022, 10:12:11 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 26, 2022, 10:08:26 PM
If the eye gouge wasn't intentional then what was he trying to do? I don't understand how it couldn't have been intentional tbh.
Intentional or not he had absolutely no need to get involved at all let alone blindside a player and put his hand across his face. It's a peculiar approach if not trying to gouge. Anyway he'll be hung, drawn and quartered by the morning which always feels a bit off for an amateur sportsman.

When he could destroy the eye of a fellow amateur sportsman... then he deserves what he gets.
Oh I know. I just watched the video back and just before he releases his hand he closes his fingers it what only can be interpreted as a deliberate gouge. Questions need to be asked why he was near the field if out injured - anyone beyond the 30 on the pitch getting involved should be an immediate ban. The GAA should throw the book at him to the maximum extent possible, but the social media abuse is a bit much imo.

Saffrongael

There is some crazy stuff on social media, trying to find out who his employer is etc to really sink him. Totally over the top.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Gael80

Football needs depth and competitive games with teams bringing style to the game. Armagh and Galway certainly saved All Ireland QF weekend and as a result increased interest in the championship. It was game of the season for sure but maybe one of the best games for pure drama in a number of years. It's possible we'll see more Galway v Armagh games over the coming years, two teams going places. Galway v Derry has potential to be another epic which can only be good for the game.

One criticism, due to the epic nature of today's game it really shines a light on the crazy get a result on the day rule. We are not soccer so a shoot out has no place in deciding an All Ireland QF, especially with players out on their feet. Joyce was spot on and it's something I'd hope the GPA and county boards bring up in the off season. Congrats Galway though, they'll take some beating this season and it would be great for the game if them or Derry can win Sam which I think is possible.

tintin25

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 26, 2022, 10:23:46 PM
There is some crazy stuff on social media, trying to find out who his employer is etc to really sink him. Totally over the top.

For real?  That's just pathetic FFS.

Milltown Row2

You make your bed you lie in it, sane in life, and generally if you're a **** you'll act a **** daily, whoever goes out and tries to gouge someone's eye out is a **** and deserves all that comes his way
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 26, 2022, 10:31:44 PM
You make your bed you lie in it, sane in life, and generally if you're a **** you'll act a **** daily, whoever goes out and tries to gouge someone's eye out is a **** and deserves all that comes his way

..............ah now, let him without sin cast the first stone.  He has a family, friends etc. Treating him like a dog solves nothing!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 26, 2022, 10:47:16 PM

..............ah now, let him without sin cast the first stone.
I'd say MR has had a day in the club.

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on June 26, 2022, 04:50:14 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on June 26, 2022, 04:36:30 PM
GAA HQ should hang  their heads In shame  by allowing that penalty nonsense to decide a game.

We all should have had a  replay to forward to  next weekend.

I'm currently on a crusade to help people understand penalty shootouts.

When you can shift your mindset from one in which the "loser" doesn't deserve to exit, to the (right) mindset in which a team that doesn't win a game has no right to proceed, it's a lot easier to take a penalty shoot out loss.

If you want to proceed, win a game. But if you don't win, don't expect a second chance.
Fair summary. Rules are clear from the start .

blanketattack

After seeing Armagh's red card and behaviour today, I think we've been wrong about Tyrone - compared to other teams in Ulster, Tyrone are a sporting, clean, non-cynical team of good honest men.

With the Galway goalkeeper having such a horror show today, you'd have thought the Armagh penalty takers would have been told to at least keep their penalties on target.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: blanketattack on June 26, 2022, 11:24:38 PM
After seeing Armagh's red card and behaviour today, I think we've been wrong about Tyrone - compared to other teams in Ulster, Tyrone are a sporting, clean, non-cynical team of good honest men.

With the Galway goalkeeper having such a horror show today, you'd have thought the Armagh penalty takers would have been told to at least keep their penalties on target.
They'd have had more success if they hoofed the ball 50 foot into the air from the penalty spot and asked the keeper to gather the high ball. Would take a bit of skill but worth trying!

marty34

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 26, 2022, 10:47:16 PM

..............ah now, let him without sin cast the first stone.  He has a family, friends etc. Treating him like a dog solves nothing!

I agree. The lad knows himself what he done was wrong.

This witch hunt of checking who he works for is on another level.  Social media gone overboard.

The lad will probably get a ban.

Move on.