Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: Armagh2022 on June 23, 2022, 09:29:04 AM
Armagh have been probably one of the few teams who have had a huge spread of scorers through the league and championship and a lot from play. I get what you mean they flatter to deceive at the business end but so do Galway. I think Galway have only won 1 game in Croke Park since 2001 including league Armagh have won a right few games there in recent times. It will be an intresting Match up thats for sure. I think the game will be won on the day massively influenced by the keepers kickout Midfield battle and how the ref fairs out for both teams. I think its a toss up between the both in terms of Player Ability   
I don't think anyone could argue with that statement re Galway to be fair.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 23, 2022, 08:58:11 AM
Not sure what to make of this match. Armagh are being bigged up a bit more than they should be imo. Don't get me wrong, good wins against (albeit terrible defending champions) Tyrone, and then a Donegal team, that even looking out of sorts, were fit to get back into the game and lead despite the bad start. The black card and penalty turned the game and then were able to coast after that. I'm just not sold on Armagh yet. For years they were fit to do it in league, but looked poor come summer when it mattered. They'll have huge momentum with their run, but really think a Galway team with good confidence, forwards in form, will be a very different thing than what they've seen this summer. It's a very different beast they'll be facing. I just think they flatter to deceive a lot. And with Rian O'Neill, a great player, but can go from the hottest of hot to the coldest of cold from one day to the next. If he has an off day, I don't see where Armagh get enough scores from. Think Galway are solid, playing well, and have 3 to 4 forward that need to be wrapped up, and can't see this being done to all of them so scores might come a bit easier to them. It'll be a battle and we'll see how Armagh go then, but I'd take Galway by 3.

I really, really hope you are wrong on that, but I don't mind telling you as an Armagh supporter and a lifelong member of the 'glass half empty brigade', your post articulated a lot of my fears ahead of this match.

This is as a good draw for Armagh (as it was for Galway) but too many are conflating a good draw with an easy draw and this match is not that. I would guess that Galway are - by some distance - the best team we will have played in the Championship this year and will represent a formidable obstacle for us.   

Manning18

The Galway Croke Park thing is overplayed a bit. In the last 10 years they've played there 7 times. A 1-6 record looks crap on the face of it but only once were they favourites and they were rank outsiders for 5 of them. Played Cork and Donegal soon after those two were competing in finals and Galway were in the doldrums. Lost two and won 1 v Kerry which is a decent return for most counties. Lost to Mayo last year after running out of steam and multiple injuries after an excellent first half. A great second half display from mayo on that on etbf. The one real black mark was a loss to Tipperary. In hindsight that team wasn't near the level required

The Corofin lads have spent their club careers running amok in Croker. About 8 panel members won an u20 All Ireland v Dublin there two years back. Others have won underage AI's there also. I don't think the venue will be an excuse

Dreadnought

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on June 23, 2022, 10:39:07 AM
Not sure what to make of this match. Armagh are being bigged up a bit more than they should be imo. Don't get me wrong, good wins against (albeit terrible defending champions) Tyrone, and then a Donegal team, that even looking out of sorts, were fit to get back into the game and lead despite the bad start. The black card and penalty turned the game and then were able to coast after that. I'm just not sold on Armagh yet. For years they were fit to do it in league, but looked poor come summer when it mattered. They'll have huge momentum with their run, but really think a Galway team with good confidence, forwards in form, will be a very different thing than what they've seen this summer. It's a very different beast they'll be facing. I just think they flatter to deceive a lot. And with Rian O'Neill, a great player, but can go from the hottest of hot to the coldest of cold from one day to the next. If he has an off day, I don't see where Armagh get enough scores from. Think Galway are solid, playing well, and have 3 to 4 forward that need to be wrapped up, and can't see this being done to all of them so scores might come a bit easier to them. It'll be a battle and we'll see how Armagh go then, but I'd take Galway by 3.

I really, really hope you are wrong on that, but I don't mind telling you as an Armagh supporter and a lifelong member of the 'glass half empty brigade', your post articulated a lot of my fears ahead of this match.

This is as a good draw for Armagh (as it was for Galway) but too many are conflating a good draw with an easy draw and this match is not that. I would guess that Galway are - by some distance - the best team we will have played in the Championship this year and will represent a formidable obstacle for us.

The funny thing is, all that can be put to bed with the run you're on by continuing to win. I'll be fully sold that you're a different team if you do it against a team in good form, and not under a cloud for some reason. Lord knows you have the talent, just need to produce the goods now consistently. And no reason you can't, especially with the support you'll bring, with that behind you.

armaghniac

When did Armagh last put in a performance three times in a row against decent teams?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Dreadnought

Quote from: armaghniac on June 23, 2022, 11:11:16 AM

When did Armagh last put in a performance three times in a row against decent teams?

That's the concern I was raising. And the first 2 wins were against decent teams but on the back of a bad loss themselves. Thing is though, those streaks are made for breaking, so no reason it can't happen this weekend.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Manning18 on June 23, 2022, 10:47:20 AM
The Galway Croke Park thing is overplayed a bit. In the last 10 years they've played there 7 times. A 1-6 record looks crap on the face of it but only once were they favourites and they were rank outsiders for 5 of them. Played Cork and Donegal soon after those two were competing in finals and Galway were in the doldrums. Lost two and won 1 v Kerry which is a decent return for most counties. Lost to Mayo last year after running out of steam and multiple injuries after an excellent first half. A great second half display from mayo on that on etbf. The one real black mark was a loss to Tipperary. In hindsight that team wasn't near the level required

The Corofin lads have spent their club careers running amok in Croker. About 8 panel members won an u20 All Ireland v Dublin there two years back. Others have won underage AI's there also. I don't think the venue will be an excuse
There should be no excuses now full stop. The days of no shows and flat performances at this level aren't going to cut it. I still have worries about this Galway team particularly around the kick outs, it's hard to imagine that we can continue to come a distant second best on restarts at both ends and prevail now that the business end has arrived. Our score conversion rate has improved and has been generally excellent this year - obviously that has must continue. I don't know what way this game is going to go on Sunday, there's no recent familiarity between the teams at all, Galway can't be trusted at this stage of the championship yet, a complete disappointment, a really good display or anything at all in between wouldn't shock me. Armagh could be the real coming force that they are being talked up as, they may not be, we don't know really.
If these Galway lads want to do something major then this Sunday is the opportunity, they need to show up, play well, take every chance they get and make Armagh earn every score. If Galway play well but still lose because Armagh are the better team after that then there will be no complaints and nothing to say bar best of luck to them going forward.

imtommygunn

On a point or two you make yes it is hard to know with either of these teams whether it's hype or whether they are the real deal. The good thing with this game is you just don't know what you're going to get.

There are some fantastic forwards on view and I am really looking forward to it. I am not sure I'll even watch some of the rest of them.

Armagh18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 23, 2022, 11:21:14 AM

There should be no excuses now full stop. The days of no shows and flat performances at this level aren't going to cut it. I still have worries about this Galway team particularly around the kick outs, it's hard to imagine that we can continue to come a distant second best on restarts at both ends and prevail now that the business end has arrived. Our score conversion rate has improved and has been generally excellent this year - obviously that has must continue. I don't know what way this game is going to go on Sunday, there's no recent familiarity between the teams at all, Galway can't be trusted at this stage of the championship yet, a complete disappointment, a really good display or anything at all in between wouldn't shock me. Armagh could be the real coming force that they are being talked up as, they may not be, we don't know really.
If these Galway lads want to do something major then this Sunday is the opportunity, they need to show up, play well, take every chance they get and make Armagh earn every score. If Galway play well but still lose because Armagh are the better team after that then there will be no complaints and nothing to say bar best of luck to them going forward.
I'd say I could swap Armaghs name for Galways in that post and the same would be true in reverse. 2 sides that have underperformed for too long- both have plenty of super players, both big name managers who are absolute icons from their playing days. Bolded is very true, if we're beat by the better team then we'll say well done and best of luck for the rest of the year, but we need to put in a huge performance. 

Throw It Up Ref

As a Tyrone man dare I say I'm backing (and slightly hoping) our neighbours to do the business on Sunday.

To me both teams have have had the makings of a side that could challenge the top teams for a few years now but have been struggling to put the puzzle together. They seem to have both found the balance they were looking for. It could be a cracking game.

The momentum and support Armagh have will be enough to get them over the line. Their confidence will be sky high and they'll genuinely go into this All-Ireland series believing they can beat anyone and that alone can often be enough to transform players.

Taylor

The biggest issue for the orange men is winning the midfield battle.

I have not been impressed with them to date and think Galway are far superior in that department.

However I dont think think Galways defence will be able to hold the Armagh forwards if they are on form.

Narrow win for Armagh

Armagh2022

Even lost to Roscommon this year there and it was unexpected.

Armagh2022

Quote from: Throw It Up Ref on June 23, 2022, 12:42:03 PM
As a Tyrone man dare I say I'm backing (and slightly hoping) our neighbours to do the business on Sunday.

To me both teams have have had the makings of a side that could challenge the top teams for a few years now but have been struggling to put the puzzle together. They seem to have both found the balance they were looking for. It could be a cracking game.

The momentum and support Armagh have will be enough to get them over the line. Their confidence will be sky high and they'll genuinely go into this All-Ireland series believing they can beat anyone and that alone can often be enough to transform players.

Yous Tyrone sh*tbags are setting us up for a fall i reckon ;) Niall Morgan and now you lol

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on June 23, 2022, 11:11:16 AM

The past is passed. Armagh are about to start a run of three great performances :-)
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Applesisapples

You would think Armagh should be able to win this one, but you really don't know which team will turn up, Donegal 1.01 or 1.02.