Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manning18

Comers Galway's only physical presence really despite being 6ft tops. Sean Kelly is the best bet on a light defence for Rian if he goes inside but you'd still worry. There's essentially zero midfielders in the 26. The best of them is out in America in Peter Cooke, while the 2/3 others who floated around in recent seasons have either fallen foul of Joyce or visa versa and dropped away. So we rely on Conroy who's really a forward and is a bit undersized as a traditional ball winning midfielder, and a wing back in McDaid. Patrick Kelly as someone mentioned is huge alright, about 6 5' but at 21 is a bag of bones still and will be a forward, if he starts.

That's essentially the big issue for Galway, we have a keeper who can't get quick kickouts away and lack the size and ball winning ability for when he goes deep, which is the majority of the time. In the Mayo game they had 50% more possessions than Galway. That'll need to change Sunday but it's hard to envisage a scenario where Galway won't lose that statistic again. Happened versus Roscommon also

So you're essentially hoping to get past that and place hope in the team's good points, a lot of pace on the break from all over, and forwards who can score from limited possession. It'll likely cost them in the end however

Blowitupref

In the Connacht final it appeared Matthew Tierney, Paul Conroy was the Galway midfield pairing. McDaid played wing back and was heavily involved in the counter attacking with his pace. Molloy, Sean Kelly were doing man marking roles both probably to do the same on Armagh best two forwards on Sunday?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 22, 2022, 04:19:32 PM
In the Connacht final it appeared Matthew Tierney, Paul Conroy was the Galway midfield pairing. McDaid played wing back and was heavily involved in the counter attacking with his pace. Molloy, Sean Kelly were doing man marking roles both probably to do the same on Armagh best two forwards on Sunday?
Molloy is the Corofin fella with the long hair? Who would he be likely to pick up do you think?  Consensus seems to be Kelly will pick up Rian. Nugent, Grugan and Soupy all need man marked as well- all capable of ripping any team a new one. As are Comer/Walsh/Conroy for Galway.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 22, 2022, 04:24:09 PM
Molloy is the Corofin fella with the long hair? Who would he be likely to pick up do you think?  Consensus seems to be Kelly will pick up Rian. Nugent, Grugan and Soupy all need man marked as well- all capable of ripping any team a new one. As are Comer/Walsh/Conroy for Galway.

That's him, when given the man marking role Galway management normally earmark the most creative and likely goal scorer. Sean Kelly will likely be tasked with Rian O'Neill.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

galwayman

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 22, 2022, 04:34:27 PM

That's him, when given the man marking role Galway management normally earmark the most creative and likely goal scorer. Sean Kelly will likely be tasked with Rian O'Neill.
Has to be Kelly. Liam Silke is the only other possibility.

Armamike

Quote from: seafoid on June 22, 2022, 09:34:11 AM
If the match was decided on the basis of GAAboard posts, Armagh would be unbackable.

I don't know much about Galway but it's dangerous to talk with authority about how a game is likely to go or how particular teams will play on the day.  I wouldn't have a clue how to call most games never mind this one. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

Wildweasel74

You Galway lads not even know the height of u lads. Paul Conroy, all 6ft 4 of him is not a ball fetching midfielder, right, Tierney a inch bigger again, christ.

yellowcard

Quote from: Manning18 on June 22, 2022, 03:56:27 PM
Comers Galway's only physical presence really despite being 6ft tops. Sean Kelly is the best bet on a light defence for Rian if he goes inside but you'd still worry. There's essentially zero midfielders in the 26. The best of them is out in America in Peter Cooke, while the 2/3 others who floated around in recent seasons have either fallen foul of Joyce or visa versa and dropped away. So we rely on Conroy who's really a forward and is a bit undersized as a traditional ball winning midfielder, and a wing back in McDaid. Patrick Kelly as someone mentioned is huge alright, about 6 5' but at 21 is a bag of bones still and will be a forward, if he starts.

That's essentially the big issue for Galway, we have a keeper who can't get quick kickouts away and lack the size and ball winning ability for when he goes deep, which is the majority of the time. In the Mayo game they had 50% more possessions than Galway. That'll need to change Sunday but it's hard to envisage a scenario where Galway won't lose that statistic again. Happened versus Roscommon also

So you're essentially hoping to get past that and place hope in the team's good points, a lot of pace on the break from all over, and forwards who can score from limited possession. It'll likely cost them in the end however

That's good to know because I would have doubts about Armaghs midfield as well so it sounds like we both have the same strengths and weaknesses in terms of defence, midfield and attack. I would gladly take 50% possession around the middle and trust in our forwards to win us the match. There is also a doubt as to how strong Rafferty is under pressure when a squeeze is put on his kick outs. However if in doubt I noticed that he tends to put a lot towards the sideline which is the best place to lose the ball. Armaghs defence has improved considerably this season but it will be interesting to see how it holds up under pressure on Sunday as I believe this Galway forward line could be the best we've faced yet. This season we have reduced the amount of scoreable free kicks we are giving away under pressure.

I see that Coldrick is down to referee the match which should suit Armagh as he allows a bit more physical contact than most referees and he had a great game refereeing us against Tyrone.   

Manning18

Nugent worries me. He'll be picked up by one of Glynn (pacy but young and lacks strength) or Silke (experienced but lacks mobility for a corner). I think he could cause either issues. John Daly is Galways best defender but will likely play the sweeper role and try hold the middle as much as possible. Molloy may tag Rian if he roams far from goal but otherwise I'd say he'll be on Campbell. Glynn on Nugent and Silke on Grugan if I had to guess but depends who far Grugan plays from goal also

Manning18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 22, 2022, 05:06:00 PM
You Galway lads not even know the height of u lads. Paul Conroy, all 6ft 4 of him is not a ball fetching midfielder, right, Tierney a inch bigger again, christ.

Literally a simple google will tell you Conroy's not 6 4'. We've been watching him for 15 years, often as the midfield partner of actual 6 4' players such as Tom Flynn or Fintain o'Currain.

This is one of the oddest things I've ever seen someone get butthurt over. Galway fans explaining an area that their team is lacking in and an opposition fan trying to argue against it. Weird

LCohen

Quote from: Manning18 on June 22, 2022, 05:33:49 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 22, 2022, 05:06:00 PM

Literally a simple google will tell you Conroy's not 6 4'. We've been watching him for 15 years, often as the midfield partner of actual 6 4' players such as Tom Flynn or Fintain o'Currain.

This is one of the oddest things I've ever seen someone get butthurt over. Galway fans explaining an area that their team is lacking in and an opposition fan trying to argue against it. Weird

He is 6'3" or thereabouts.

This could come down to inches

Wildweasel74

He's 6ft 4 cause he played against James kielt more than a few time since minor and he always been bigger than him, Kielt was over 6ft 3in.

Dreadnought

Not sure what to make of this match. Armagh are being bigged up a bit more than they should be imo. Don't get me wrong, good wins against (albeit terrible defending champions) Tyrone, and then a Donegal team, that even looking out of sorts, were fit to get back into the game and lead despite the bad start. The black card and penalty turned the game and then were able to coast after that. I'm just not sold on Armagh yet. For years they were fit to do it in league, but looked poor come summer when it mattered. They'll have huge momentum with their run, but really think a Galway team with good confidence, forwards in form, will be a very different thing than what they've seen this summer. It's a very different beast they'll be facing. I just think they flatter to deceive a lot. And with Rian O'Neill, a great player, but can go from the hottest of hot to the coldest of cold from one day to the next. If he has an off day, I don't see where Armagh get enough scores from. Think Galway are solid, playing well, and have 3 to 4 forward that need to be wrapped up, and can't see this being done to all of them so scores might come a bit easier to them. It'll be a battle and we'll see how Armagh go then, but I'd take Galway by 3.

seafoid

It's hard to know what level Ulster football is at. This weekend should tell a tale.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh2022

Armagh have been probably one of the few teams who have had a huge spread of scorers through the league and championship and a lot from play. I get what you mean they flatter to deceive at the business end but so do Galway. I think Galway have only won 1 game in Croke Park since 2001 including league Armagh have won a right few games there in recent times. It will be an intresting Match up thats for sure. I think the game will be won on the day massively influenced by the keepers kickout Midfield battle and how the ref fairs out for both teams. I think its a toss up between the both in terms of Player Ability