Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APM

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 28, 2022, 11:59:36 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on June 28, 2022, 10:51:02 AM
Good article by a previous eye-gouge perpetrator:
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/arid-30482075.html

"It wasn't a conscious decision, I just grabbed anything I could"

And because he just grabbed anything he could he suffered for it, instead of not getting involved and letting the two lads get on with whatever shit they wanted to do he's now (rightly) going to have to take the flack that goes with his actions.

It makes no sense if two people want to go at each other let them... The manager says that at the start of the year and any fool who wants to 'separate' them is kicked off the panel. There is no defending it from any angle or quarter.

Bearing in mind Quinlan was 34 when this happened. 
Is he about 21/22?
I hope he has good people around him. 
The GAA need to remember that they have a responsibility to him also.   

yellowcard

Quote from: general_lee on June 28, 2022, 12:39:19 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 28, 2022, 12:34:50 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 28, 2022, 12:31:12 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 28, 2022, 12:23:09 PM
https://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/324032

If he is devastated (and I am genuinely sure he is utterly ashamed and embarrassed), let's hope he takes his punishment like a man.

Unlike most of the rest of the intercounty world.

I would hope he will.
Just out of interest, what is the likely punishment? What does the rulebook state?
Heard talk of 6 months? Genuinely don't know though. He's injured so it might not impact that much depending on how long he's out for.

Philly McMahon got a one match ban after gouging Gooch Cooper in 2015 AI final. I expect he will get around 3 matches though because he's an easier target. I don't think he will be appealing whatever suspension is forthcoming.

APM

There are GAA people talking about a lengthy ban (Sean Kelly) - others talked about the maximum -  which is 96 weeks I think?  Would it be fair to expect him not to appeal such a ban given the precedent with other players who received 2/3 match bans.  Albeit there was aggravating factors (shouldn't have entered the pitch - wasn't on match day 26).

tonto1888

Quote from: APM on June 28, 2022, 01:01:18 PM
There are GAA people talking about a lengthy ban (Sean Kelly) - others talked about the maximum -  which is 96 weeks I think?  Would it be fair to expect him not to appeal such a ban given the precedent with other players who received 2/3 match bans.  Albeit there was aggravating factors (shouldn't have entered the pitch - wasn't on match day 26).

I thnk this will go against him. 96 weeks would be outrageous. WHere does it state that being the max ban?

APM

Someone mentioned 96 weeks on the radio, but I think it only refers to a player interfering with a match official for a second time, having already served a ban for doing so.

yellowcard

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1109/740744-video-donaghy-tells-referee-hes-been-eye-gouged/

There's your precedent for gouging so anybody calling for 96 weeks are pitch fork merchants who are either agenda driven or hypocritical. One match ban received by Philly McMahon and it was actuallly Donaghy that was on the receiving end of the gouge on that occasion not Gooch. He didn't cry like a baby and I think Comer is the sort of lad who will not be crying over it either. As someone else said earlier, he was one player who deliberately went over to all of the Armagh players after the penalty shoot out and shook all their hands. He certainly didn't look like a man that had a major axe to grind. Leave it on the field, take whatever punishment comes and move on.

Armamike

Quote from: trailer on June 28, 2022, 12:44:40 PM
Quote from: Armamike on June 28, 2022, 11:38:50 AM
Just out of interest, who is overrating him?

People in Armagh. His championship record is woeful.

His championship record is very poor.  Up until the past few weeks there were plenty in Armagh who thought he's had enough time.   In his defence, he hasn't had the benefit of any underage success coming through the system.  He has also managed a happy squad who seem back him strongly.

I'm just curious as to where the overrated thing comes from.  It's been used quite a bit on here.  I don't see many in the media or pundits eulogising him.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armamike

Quote from: APM on June 28, 2022, 01:13:51 PM
Someone mentioned 96 weeks on the radio, but I think it only refers to a player interfering with a match official for a second time, having already served a ban for doing so.

Would expect that for headbutting the ref.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Taylor

Quote from: yellowcard on June 28, 2022, 01:14:30 PM

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1109/740744-video-donaghy-tells-referee-hes-been-eye-gouged/

There's your precedent for gouging so anybody calling for 96 weeks are pitch fork merchants who are either agenda driven or hypocritical. One match ban received by Philly McMahon and it was actuallly Donaghy that was on the receiving end of the gouge on that occasion not Gooch. He didn't cry like a baby and I think Comer is the sort of lad who will not be crying over it either. As someone else said earlier, he was one player who deliberately went over to all of the Armagh players after the penalty shoot out and shook all their hands. He certainly didn't look like a man that had a major axe to grind. Leave it on the field, take whatever punishment comes and move on.

The reaction of the injured party will/should have zero impact on the punishment.

Where does this fall under the rules and punishment?

The GAA's hands are tied as far as punishment goes in many instances

Itchy

tonto1888

from what I can see it is a cat iv offence though could be more as he wasnt named as a player?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Taylor on June 28, 2022, 12:21:21 PM

And because he just grabbed anything he could he suffered for it, instead of not getting involved and letting the two lads get on with whatever shit they wanted to do he's now (rightly) going to have to take the flack that goes with his actions.

It makes no sense if two people want to go at each other let them... The manager says that at the start of the year and any fool who wants to 'separate' them is kicked off the panel. There is no defending it from any angle or quarter.

Its a team sport - and you should know that players will always back each other up.

Do you really think if Con OC or P Clifford came in to pull a player off a team mate who was getting it tight they would be kicked off the panel?

So your teammate has just been shouldered in the back (happens a lot in games, you'd know this as you'll have watched many a game) and the players should just way in to 'back' him up for being shouldered, even though he maybe instigated the shoulder in the first place?

Players should cop on and move on

Pulling a player off is not what you are meant to be doing.. let them push and shove and get off the pitch and get ready for the next part of the game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Armamike on June 28, 2022, 01:16:40 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 28, 2022, 12:44:40 PM
Quote from: Armamike on June 28, 2022, 11:38:50 AM
Just out of interest, who is overrating him?

People in Armagh. His championship record is woeful.

His championship record is very poor.  Up until the past few weeks there were plenty in Armagh who thought he's had enough time.   In his defence, he hasn't had the benefit of any underage success coming through the system.  He has also managed a happy squad who seem back him strongly.

I'm just curious as to where the overrated thing comes from.  It's been used quite a bit on here.  I don't see many in the media or pundits eulogising him.
The longevity is hard to understand. As a Galway fan I have seen a lot of mediocre hurling and football managers over the years. I think Geezer is mediocre.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trueblue1234

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 28, 2022, 01:26:38 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 28, 2022, 12:21:21 PM

Its a team sport - and you should know that players will always back each other up.

Do you really think if Con OC or P Clifford came in to pull a player off a team mate who was getting it tight they would be kicked off the panel?

So your teammate has just been shouldered in the back (happens a lot in games, you'd know this as you'll have watched many a game) and the players should just way in to 'back' him up for being shouldered, even though he maybe instigated the shoulder in the first place?

Players should cop on and move on

Pulling a player off is not what you are meant to be doing.. let them push and shove and get off the pitch and get ready for the next part of the game

Can I just second this. Really don't need to see that....
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

brokencrossbar1

It's hard to know where to start with all of this. The game, the atmosphere, the experience has been talked to death. The better team won and that's without doubt but we could have won also. Penalties an absolute lottery but until there is anything else they are what we have.

The melee and gouging....the parties involved in how the melee started should be punished. I believe CP will have to make a point and punish both sides here but will they?  I suspect given the narrative being driven that Armagh will get heavier punishment, rightly or wrongly. TiarnĂ¡n Kelly will get a heavy ban though anything beyond 6 months is excessive in my opinion. Look at what happened in previous gouging cases and then add some on as an aggravating factor given that he was not part of the match day squad. He should have been in the stands and that's something that the GAA as a whole need to look at. The issue of the teams going into the same tunnel is a red herring. Responsibility for actions needs to be driven. Players, managers, officials all have a responsibility to act accordingly. Respect is not there and that's probably increased by the tribal nature of the sport. This isn't Armagh alone and is not recent either but something needs to change.

Where to now for Armagh?  People will point to the wins against Donegal and Tyrone and say it was a good year. If you look though at the year it's played 11 between league and championship won 5, drew 1, lost 5. Beat Dublin who were on their holidays, Tyrone twice who were very poor, Kildare in the league who were relegated and are pretty poor and Donegal in a very good performance (albeit they looked like they were out on their feet). For all the seeming improvements we are as far away from a trophy as we have ever been in my opinion. People will point to injuries etc and they did play a factor but I genuinely don't see a team that has an identity, a structured plan. It's very much off the hoof and hope for the best. Maybe that's all that we can do but I suspect it's not. I think the best players more or less from the county are on the squad but I don't believe that the best is being brought out of them for a variety of reasons. Geezer will get another year and probably deserves it but that doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. I personally feel he has brought this team as far as he is capable of doing, kinda like the 2 Brian's in 2001, but now is time for change before the opportunity you a lost. There are too many good players there to miss another year.