Time to merge the LGFA and Camogie Association under the GAA umbrella

Started by Eamonnca1, October 03, 2017, 07:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Are the LGFA completely separate from the GAA?  Are they not under the GAA umbrella in some form?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Itchy

Has to happen. The ladies are good at complaining about not getting access to this pitch or that venue but at the end of the day their association has not built and paid for that infrastructure. They need to come in under the same umbrella so that all GAA people are getting the same deal.

sligoman2

Quote from: Itchy on October 04, 2017, 10:54:24 AM
Has to happen. The ladies are good at complaining about not getting access to this pitch or that venue but at the end of the day their association has not built and paid for that infrastructure. They need to come in under the same umbrella so that all GAA people are getting the same deal.
Probably every member of Lgfa is a member of a gaa club, pays dues, pays to go to men's games Etc...so indirectly or directly they have paid for the infrastructure Etc..
I get your point though.
I remember a ladies gaa ad saying that it is the fastest growing sport in the world for ladies which is brilliant but not altogether surprising when you see the freedom, number of scoring opportunities, etc.. players have compared to other codes
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: screenexile on October 04, 2017, 09:26:00 AM
The costs involved in Ladies Football far outweigh those in the Men's game and you would hope that if they came under one umbrella the costs would fall immediately.

The problem with amalgamating all would mean job losses for both Ladies Football and Camogie employees which is probably why there it hasn't happened yet!
It is the like of the assumption above that will probably keep them apart. In an amalgamation situation why would the employees of the LGFA be the ones to lose their jobs? It's the inherent sexism that people aren't even aware of that scares the LGFA away.

screenexile

Quote from: mrhardyannual on October 04, 2017, 01:36:12 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 04, 2017, 09:26:00 AM
The costs involved in Ladies Football far outweigh those in the Men's game and you would hope that if they came under one umbrella the costs would fall immediately.

The problem with amalgamating all would mean job losses for both Ladies Football and Camogie employees which is probably why there it hasn't happened yet!
It is the like of the assumption above that will probably keep them apart. In an amalgamation situation why would the employees of the LGFA be the ones to lose their jobs? It's the inherent sexism that people aren't even aware of that scares the LGFA away.

It's the law of the jungle. . . when a big operation incorporates a smaller one inevitably the workers in the smaller operation get the boot. Not inherently sexist but in this case it's just going to be the outcome!

rosnarun

before any merger takes place the ladies should campaign for new pitches and facilities as the increase in teams is putting clubs under huge pressure.
The ladies are entitled to government  money in their own right in terms of participation  they probably have numbers to match the IRFU esp if you exclude upper middle class dating they call tag rugby.
they should have their own county grounds and maybe a national one nay a croke park but maybe a 30k one like thomand park to show they are serious
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

Quote from: rosnarun on October 04, 2017, 04:04:30 PM
before any merger takes place the ladies should campaign for new pitches and facilities as the increase in teams is putting clubs under huge pressure.
The ladies are entitled to government  money in their own right in terms of participation  they probably have numbers to match the IRFU esp if you exclude upper middle class dating they call tag rugby.
they should have their own county grounds and maybe a national one nay a croke park but maybe a 30k one like thomand park to show they are serious

;D ;D

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 04, 2017, 04:05:42 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on October 04, 2017, 04:04:30 PM

;D ;D

I enjoyed that too!

Jinxy

Was listening to a rep from the ladies football players union recently and she said a merger would work well at club level, where everybody knows everyone else anyway, but she would be wary of how it would work at intercounty level.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 04, 2017, 09:53:24 AM
Are the LGFA completely separate from the GAA?  Are they not under the GAA umbrella in some form?

They are completely separate. They share facilities and are based at Croke Park, but as organizations they are separate.

manfromdelmonte

separate funding for LGFA and Camogie from sports Ireland

that might be a big reason

twohands!!!

Everything I've ever heard suggests that the GAA hierarchy have no problem with welcoming both the LGFA and the Camogie into the tent, but there is a lot of reluctance from the head honchos in the other two organisations, with some of the Camogie higher-ups in particular being very opposed.

One big reason it should go ahead is that the membership costs for joining the women's organisations are a lot more expensive than for the GAA and the difference at underage can be quite stark. Someone told me that in general you would get 3 boys underage memberships for one underage girl's membership of either the LGFA or the Camogie. Another thing is that because there are two organisations there are no dual clubs for girls.

I have heard for the difference in cost is that there is a very big difference in the insurance costs per player in the GAA compared to the LGFA and the Camogie Association.

munchkin

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 05, 2017, 08:17:25 PM<snip>
I have heard for the difference in cost is that there is a very big difference in the insurance costs per player in the GAA compared to the LGFA and the Camogie Association.
wouldn't you think that this would be a reason for them to join the greater GAA ?

As for potential movement, hard to know.
At the moment the ladies and camogie can tap fund from government and TV contracts on one side and have cheap to free facilities provided by the GAA on the other.

One of the earlier posts mentioned that it would work well at a club level, and to be honest if all they did was harmonise registration systems for club players it'd be half the battle, even if they remained separate for all other purposes !

Ty4Sam

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 05, 2017, 08:17:25 PM
Everything I've ever heard suggests that the GAA hierarchy have no problem with welcoming both the LGFA and the Camogie into the tent, but there is a lot of reluctance from the head honchos in the other two organisations, with some of the Camogie higher-ups in particular being very opposed.

One big reason it should go ahead is that the membership costs for joining the women's organisations are a lot more expensive than for the GAA and the difference at underage can be quite stark. Someone told me that in general you would get 3 boys underage memberships for one underage girl's membership of either the LGFA or the Camogie. Another thing is that because there are two organisations there are no dual clubs for girls.

Not even close. A boys GAA membership is free, an U16 girl LGFA membership is approx 30/40euro per player.