Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

Avondhu star

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 04, 2018, 04:06:50 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on May 04, 2018, 01:16:54 PM
One side gets offended because once in the year a Loyalist band wants to march up "their" road which takes five minutes. The other side object to G.S.T.Q. being played at a sports final.
No compromise, no willingness to compromise.
Stupid fcukin statement, Ahh I can't be bothered...

The truth hurts
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

SHEEDY

One side gets offended because once in the year a Loyalist band wants to march up "their" road which takes five minutes. The other side object to G.S.T.Q. being played at a sports final.
??? who are the 2 sides you are talking about in this statement?  and what, if any compromises do you propose?
nil satis nisi optimum

AQMP

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 04, 2018, 04:55:39 PM
??? who are the 2 sides you are talking about in this statement?  and what, if any compromises do you propose?

Exactly, I think it would be the same side getting offended in both examples??

David McKeown

I have no difficulty with playing the anthem the association identifies as its national anthem. The same is played before the FA Cup final. It's not an anthem being played for either team in the match.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

red hander

That's the same side, according to your thesis Einstein. You really are a complete and utter balloon  ;D

Therealdonald

AQMP

Quote from: David McKeown on May 04, 2018, 05:50:42 PM
I have no difficulty with playing the anthem the association identifies as its national anthem. The same is played before the FA Cup final. It's not an anthem being played for either team in the match.

I suppose the vast majority of people attending the FA Cup Final have no problem with GSTQ and indeed would embrace it.  It's slightly different in a divided society like ours.  It would appear that Cliftonville Football Club recognise this.  The IFA have been making much of alleged FAI attempts to "poach" nationalists players from the North, indeed the manager recently claimed the FAI were specifically targeting Catholic players.  The insistence that GSTQ is played seems like a backward step to me in alleged attempts to make NI soccer more attractive to those sections of the community.

Targetman

It'll not be heard anyway when the red army voice their disapproval, and they wonder why young nationalists pick the republic over the bigoted north

BennyCake

I think the IFA have to make the decision to always play GSTQ or never play it.

It's obvious because those pesky taigs of Cliftonville are there that that's the reason for not playing it, but when it's a prod full house, it's belted out.

David McKeown

I think I agree with that. I don't think it should be changed simply because Cliftonville are involved. As I say though it's not an anthem for them though. It's the anthem of the association whose competition they have entered. I see little difference between this and the playing of the National Anthem at GAA games. Should it not be played if one team requests it not played?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Therealdonald

Quote from: David McKeown on May 04, 2018, 06:30:39 PM
I think I agree with that. I don't think it should be changed simply because Cliftonville are involved. As I say though it's not an anthem for them though. It's the anthem of the association whose competition they have entered. I see little difference between this and the playing of the National Anthem at GAA games. Should it not be played if one team requests it not played?

I agree with you David. However I think what Cliftonville should do is to respect the anthem for its entirety. Then when its finished, belt out Amhran na bhFiann or The Celtic Symphony. The IFA have just made a serious misjudgement but they'd nothing else to do, either offend the catholic minority in attendance or offend the larger minority of Prods in attendance? It was a no-brainer for them

Avondhu star

Quote from: Therealdonald on May 04, 2018, 07:08:39 PM

I agree with you David. However I think what Cliftonville should do is to respect the anthem for its entirety. Then when its finished, belt out Amhran na bhFiann or The Celtic Symphony. The IFA have just made a serious misjudgement but they'd nothing else to do, either offend the catholic minority in attendance or offend the larger minority of Prods in attendance? It was a no-brainer for them

Oh God forbid that anyone would-be offended!
Fûcking welcome to each other

Avondhu star

Quote from: hardstation on May 04, 2018, 08:34:50 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on May 04, 2018, 08:08:44 PM

You're busting your hole to be offended on this very topic, to be honest.

Not at all. We just laugh at your kindergarten antics

red hander

Quote from: Avondhu star on May 04, 2018, 08:46:19 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 04, 2018, 08:34:50 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on May 04, 2018, 08:08:44 PM

You're busting your hole to be offended on this very topic, to be honest.

Not at all. We just laugh at your kindergarten antics

The only one being laughed at is you, ya glipe