Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Did Barcelona not have 7 or 8 players playing in a Champions league game last year that came through their youth system? That is streets ahead.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ross4life

Quote from: Minder on October 28, 2010, 07:31:17 PM
Did Barcelona not have 7 or 8 players playing in a Champions league game last year that came through their youth system? That is streets ahead.

In 2009 Final yes i believe Barca had around 7 home grown players (including Piqué bought off united) in the 1999 final United had 5 home grown players on the team & some others on the bench
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

screenexile

Quote from: ross4life on October 28, 2010, 07:43:22 PM

In 2009 Final yes i believe Barca had around 7 home grown players (including Piqué bought off united) in the 1999 final United had 5 home grown players on the team & some others on the bench

Great stuff!! And tell me now where Pique played for the 7 years before United??

United DID have a decent youth policy which culminated in the 1999 Champions League there is no denying that but it has since disappeared down the crapper where now Man U are having to poach young players off other clubs!!

paco

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/futbol/temporada_10-11/plantilla/plantilla.html

Barca's first team squad for this season. I count 8 players who weren't brought up through the youth team (Dani Alves, Villa, Mascherano, Keita, Milito, Maxwell, Adriano and Abidal). There are also a number of players from the 'B' team who regularly play.

ross4life

Quote from: screenexile on October 28, 2010, 08:25:34 PM

Great stuff!! And tell me now where Pique played for the 7 years before United??

United DID have a decent youth policy which culminated in the 1999 Champions League there is no denying that but it has since disappeared down the crapper where now Man U are having to poach young players off other clubs!!

For your piece in bold..No shit Sherlock!

Down crapper & poaching young players>> insert major face-palms   
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: paco on October 28, 2010, 08:28:20 PM
http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/futbol/temporada_10-11/plantilla/plantilla.html

Barca's first team squad for this season. I count 8 players who weren't brought up through the youth team (Dani Alves, Villa, Mascherano, Keita, Milito, Maxwell, Adriano and Abidal). There are also a number of players from the 'B' team who regularly play.

I did say they were better! & Paco i know you have a better knowledge of the game than the above Anti-united fan, I'm still amazed he even managed to call the 90s youth crop "decent"

Boycey

Both freak occurances in my opinion..

Mainland Europes current supremacy at youth level is an indictment on English FA youth and schools systems rather than the clubs in general, there are no clubs who are regularly turning out English talent.

United DO have an excellent youth policy, there are umpteen players playing round the top two leagues in England that came through United and who United have received fees well in excess of 100million for.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Boycey on October 28, 2010, 08:43:09 PM

Mainland Europes current supremacy at youth level is an indictment on English FA youth and schools systems rather than the clubs in general, there are no clubs who are regularly turning out English talent.

United DO have an excellent youth policy, there are umpteen players playing round the top two leagues in England that came through United and who United have received fees well in excess of 100million for.

Agree with most of your statement Boycey except UTD used to have an excellant youth policy. Think its pretty poor this season, at an all time low, but who knows......

Boycey

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on October 28, 2010, 08:48:35 PM

Agree with most of your statement Boycey except UTD used to have an excellant youth policy. Think its pretty poor this season, at an all time low, but who knows......

We'll agree to disagree then... A youth policy isn't built on one seasons crop

There are a couple around 16-17 that there is plenty of talk about including one who came on on Tuesday night who is thought to be the real deal if he stops trying to be a gangsta!!!

ross4life

Here are some of the current United youth coming through Magnus Eikrem,Robert Brady Ravel Morrison,Will Keane, Cameron Stewart,Reece Brown,Nicky Ajose,Joshua King,Matthew James of course not all will make it for every Beckam/Giggs there's a Terry Cooke or Simon Davies

Why would someone question United's talent coming through without seeing any of the above players play?

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Boycey on October 28, 2010, 09:08:43 PM

There are a couple around 16-17 that there is plenty of talk about including one who came on on Tuesday night who is thought to be the real deal if he stops trying to be a gangsta!!!

No sweat

Who's the Gangsta?

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: ross4life on October 28, 2010, 09:11:01 PM

Here are some of the current United youth coming through Magnus Eikrem,Robert Brady Ravel Morrison,Will Keane, Cameron Stewart,Reece Brown,Nicky Ajose,Joshua King,Matthew James of course not all will make it for every Beckam/Giggs there's a Terry Cooke or Simon Davies

Why would someone question United's talent coming through without seeing any of the above players play?

Lad thats my point exactly.

a handful of those above will be lucky to make a full career as a pro at the top level.

Anyone showing any sign of the golden generation boys would be getting a bit a 1st team action, carling cup etc and i dont recognise any names to be honest.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: norabeag on October 27, 2010, 07:35:06 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 27, 2010, 06:24:10 PM
Quote from: stew on October 27, 2010, 01:39:59 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on October 26, 2010, 10:02:28 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 26, 2010, 09:53:42 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on October 26, 2010, 09:49:21 PM
excellent finish by the yong fella... 3 goals in 2 games - showing great form

Best player in the World right now without a shadow of a doubt
More than just a drop of a WUM in ya isn't there?

FFS he is not even a regular in his club side, he is talented but he is not world class at the moment.
:D
not in the same class as say,,,, Carragher or whats thon one who had such a fab world cup.... La Nina ;)

What a strange comment to make.. ???.
Comparing Carra a 32 year old veteran defender with years of excellent service to his club to a young up and coming striker.
You are a strange bucko alright.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Boycey

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on October 28, 2010, 09:15:14 PM
Quote from: Boycey on October 28, 2010, 09:08:43 PM

No sweat

Who's the Gangsta?

Ravel Morrison google or youtube him, seems to be a nutter but all agree the talent is there

ross4life

Most are 17/18 some are out on loan like John O'Shea,Jonny Evans,Darron Gibson had to do before becoming United Squad players, take it from me whom watches reserves/youth games...most of players i named will make a full career as pros at the top level hopefully at United.