China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: five points on June 16, 2020, 04:08:38 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 16, 2020, 04:03:29 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 16, 2020, 03:58:42 PM
Can't argue with that five
And that's why England were a shambles from the word go. They hadn't a clue what to do even though they had time to prepare compared to Italy.
A good reason deaths are falling dramatically is hospitals seem to now know how to treat it

The UK Gov had plenty of a clue but were prepared to ride it out in an attempt to keep the economy as strong as possible in the face of Brexit.

They've fĂșcked up both.

Damn all they could have done in a few weeks. Basically, the lesson of Lombary v Veneto is that anywhere that had a health system based on large general hospitals was a sitting duck for Covid 19 while places with old-fashioned networks of small hospitals got away lighly.

The UK and England in particular went down the former road many decades ago as more recently did Ireland. For example, 35 years ago Cavan, then as now a mickey-mouse town, had 3 separate hospitals that were all replaced by a single general hospital where Covid ran riot, leaving the county for a long time with the worst infection rate per capita on the island.

By the end of January they knew it was coming but their arrogant exceptionalism lulled them into a false sense of security and they did SFA to increase ventilators, PPE, testing capacity, contact tracing and the likes, all which was highlighted as issues when they dry run a pandemic impact in 2016.
They've been weeks/months late at every stage of the process.

Waiting until the end of March to dump as many elderly out of hospitals into the care sector without testing them to free up beds in hospitals was a catastrophe, but hey Covid wasn't/isn't that bad....

UK still posting quite high numbers of new cases daily, 900 plus yesterday but hopefully as you point out new treatments reduce the mortality rates.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: trailer on June 16, 2020, 12:41:07 PM
When we look back I think we'll all agree this has been the biggest overreaction to anything ever. It is the greatest load of shite. Completely overblown. This is the opinion of all right thinking people.

Did your survey include those families that lost loved ones?

trailer

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 16, 2020, 03:41:18 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 16, 2020, 03:35:03 PM
Where has this virus "spread like wildfire"? Lockdown or not?

Everyone to a man I have spoken with believes it has been hugely over hyped including medical professionals, business owners and employees.

England? USA? Italy? Spain? Brazil? Iran?

Thankfully there has been none at all in North Korea and very little in Russia.

If everyone you have spoken to believes it has been hugely over hyped, then I suggest you speak to a few more people.

Really? It spread like wildfire? Even in England it didn't spread like wildfire.

trailer

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on June 16, 2020, 04:29:26 PM
When we look back I think we'll all agree this has been the biggest overreaction to anything ever. It is the greatest load of shite. Completely overblown. This is the opinion of all right thinking people.

I don't know anyone who lost a loved one and I don't have any friends or employees who lost a love one or even knew anyone who died from it.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: trailer on June 16, 2020, 01:00:17 PM
Ach we were told of surges and peaks. Bodies everywhere. Unfathomable deaths. None of which came to pass. There hasn't been 2500 deaths on the whole island.

You sound disappointed that things weren't as bad in Ieland as predicted. While the Island of Ireland has made a decent effort at containing this virus I think I speak for everyone and wished the death toll was a lot lower but perhaps lessons learnt if that dreaded 2nd wave hits later this year.

JohnDenver

Quote from: trailer on June 16, 2020, 05:16:45 PM

I don't know anyone who lost a loved one and I don't have any friends or employees who lost a love one or even knew anyone who died from it.

We're going to need a bigger sample size  ;D

STREET FIGHTER

I would need to doublecheck but I think 65,000 people or so have died....

imtommygunn

He didn't know any of them though...

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: five points on June 16, 2020, 04:08:38 PM
Damn all they could have done in a few weeks.

Yeah, nothing they could have done....

Except of course:
- Advise against travel to Northern Italy
- Explicitly forbid school trips to Northern Italy
- Prepare interim care homes for patients displaced from hospital to care homes whose COVID status was undetermined
- Assemble a large contact tracing system to quickly identify and immediate contacts of all COVID carriers - if testing were unavailable then tell them to strictly isolate their household and supplies will be brought to their door.
- Instigate social distancing measures a few weeks earlier

aside from those, nothing they could have done.
i usse an speelchekor

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on June 16, 2020, 07:45:22 PM

And that is a shocking figure. But the fact remains this is a disease of the over 70s. 

Eamonnca1

Quote from: trailer on June 16, 2020, 10:12:43 PM

And that is a shocking figure. But the fact remains this is a disease of the over 70s.
Well that's okay then. Who cares about the over 70s?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: trailer on June 16, 2020, 03:35:03 PM
Where has this virus "spread like wildfire"? Lockdown or not?

Everyone to a man I have spoken with believes it has been hugely over hyped including medical professionals, business owners and employees.

Italy. Spain. New York. UK.

The places that locked down the earliest were the ones that got off the lightest. California locked down early, and some CA counties locked down even earlier than the state, saving thousands of lives.

Taylor

Quote from: trailer on June 16, 2020, 10:12:43 PM

Again trailer - we have been over this many many times - it is not a disease of the over 70's.