Wine

Started by isourboydownyet, November 01, 2010, 03:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Not to be too forward, but if Lynchbhoy were to extend me a cordial invite to his abode, I am convinced that I would appreciate it.

mc_grens

Mitchelton Blackwood Park Reisling is my favourite white. It's about 10.99 a bottle in Dunnes.

My favourite Red is Chateau Musar from Lebanon. Fuckin hard to get these days though. I also like Gran Sasso Montepulciano D'Abruzzo.

Cue Lynchbhoy lecturing me about  Bordeaux... ;)

Maguire01

French, Spanish, Italian, Chilean and Argentinian reds for me. I have a couple of favourites for each and tend to bulk-buy whenever Tesco has a deal on - you can often get bottles down from £10 to £5 and if you buy 6 bottles, you get another 5% off. Tesco doing a deal at the minute apparently with 25% off when you buy 6 bottles or more (in the north anyway) - think it's only for this week. Time to stock up for Christmas.

STREET FIGHTER

This seems like an excellant thread.

Any of you guys got any recommendations for a man who knows nothing about wine.

Where do i start??

Rois

Puck, that Louis Jadot Beaujolais was my staple for a while, the kind I would just drink a bottle of on a Fri night by the fire.

I'd be a big Fleurie fan, with all the ski trips to the Alps there are lots of nice local varities over that part of France for me to try.

White-wise, I'm a Chablis fan.  Must also explain why I go for chardonnay as opposed to the sauvignon blancs etc.  Asda had a lovely chablis down to about £6 or £7 a few weeks ago.

Definitely completely biased towards French wine. 

Denn Forever

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 01, 2010, 03:40:43 PM
Wolf Blass.  Don't know if it is supposed to be good but it goes down easy.

There is a starter for red.

Also go for 13% wines.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: BenDover on November 01, 2010, 04:05:40 PM
Quote from: isourboydownyet on November 01, 2010, 03:34:12 PM
thought i would start a thread so people on here can recommend a wine they have had to others,i am not one of these who can tell year or grape but love my wines and i had a class sauvignon blanc called wither hills from new zealand at the weekend.
The NZ Sauv Blanc would be up there with the best of them, next time you could try either the Montana, The Ned, Oyster Bay, Villa Maria sauvignon blanc's, or for those who like their reds Porcupine Ridge Syrah and Heartland Shiraz

Try Hunters vineyard for the Sauvignon - bit pricey, but a great bottle nonetheless.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 01, 2010, 06:26:29 PM
I hate wine snobs who only drink certain wine with certain food and all that shite.

I like Pinot Grigio I don't care what brand and I get a fine one in Lidl for 4.99.
I couldn't give a shite about smelling it or swirling it in your gob before hand,its all a load of bollix,just drink the f**king thing.

I also like White Zinfadel
I usually get either Blossom Hill,Bend in the River,Barefoot or Sutter Home.
Fanny.

fitzroyalty

Rarely drink never mind drink wine but when I do can only be a NZ Sauv Blanc. That or Buckfast.

The Worker

Any wines out there that the hangover is not too bad to handle?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 01, 2010, 09:40:59 PM
I hate wine snobs who only drink certain wine with certain food and all that shite.

I like Pinot Grigio I don't care what brand and I get a fine one in Lidl for 4.99.
I couldn't give a shite about smelling it or swirling it in your gob before hand,its all a load of bollix,just drink the f**king thing.

Fanny.

I like a bit of that as well.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ross4life

Did anyone see britain's most disgusting drinks on BBC a couple of weeks ago? they showed making of cheap wine, it certainly put me off it.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

beer baron

Quote from: ross4life on November 01, 2010, 10:06:40 PM
Did anyone see britain's most disgusting drinks on BBC a couple of weeks ago? they showed making of cheap wine, it certainly put me off it.

No but you've got me interested now.Details please!

ross4life

Quote from: beer baron on November 01, 2010, 10:10:59 PM
Quote from: ross4life on November 01, 2010, 10:06:40 PM

No but you've got me interested now.Details please!

Found a clip which is better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Q1M1f2Rvk
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 01, 2010, 09:58:56 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 01, 2010, 09:40:59 PM

Fanny.

I like a bit of that as well.
I'm assuming not red.