Lough Neagh

Started by ONeill, August 21, 2023, 11:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upandover

It has been there, just not to this extent, i assume it has taken a buildup of nutrients entering the lough for years that has lead to this tipping point and a complete explosion of algae.

Zebra mussels were introduced also which helps with water clarity but has enabled the sun to penetrate further and add to this issue.

It will only get worse also.

ONeill

Interesting debate from a few years ago.

Unionists didn't want Lough Neagh in case it was part of a devious United Ireland ploy.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/ni/?id=2012-04-17.1.1
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

clarshack

Get her drained and give Tyrone another county to beat  ;D

https://reddit.com/r/northernireland/s/1z1wMqYEtB

armaghniac

More of the stuff on the Down and Antrim side?

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

clonian

Quote from: armaghniac on September 10, 2023, 11:56:30 PM

Down? Armagh surely

Applesisapples

Quote from: clonian on September 11, 2023, 02:19:20 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 10, 2023, 11:56:30 PM

Down? Armagh surely
Antrim, Wee bit of Down and Armagh

clonian

Never realised there was any of Lough Neagh in Down. Not much of it to be fair.

Is that effect due to wind direction (south easterly) or is most of the contamination on the Antrim side?

seafoid

Quote from: clonian on September 11, 2023, 03:40:28 PM

Is that effect due to wind direction (south easterly) or is most of the contamination on the Antrim side?
The only county in the occupied territories that doesn't have access to the lake is Fermanagh

Wildweasel74

It's about 10moke up the Bann too, basically were water not flowing the river.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: clonian on September 11, 2023, 03:40:28 PM

Its literally a field or two of god's county marching the lough, no more than that.
i usse an speelchekor

seafoid

trailer

Happy to pay him exactly what he paid for the Lough. Seems a fair price.

By Tara Mills
BBC News NI
The man who owns the bed and soil of Lough Neagh has said he is still willing to sell it to the public - but won't give it away for free.

The ownership has been in the Earl of Shaftesbury's estate since the 1800s.

Campaigners say pollution is killing the lake, with wildlife and birds suffering after blue-green algal blooms over the summer.

Lough Neagh supplies half of Belfast's drinking water and 40% of Northern Ireland's overall.

The rights to the lough were given a price tag of £6m 10 years ago, but civil servants at the time advised the government not to go ahead with the sale. It is not known why.

'I always get blamed'
Nicolas Ashley-Cooper, who is the 12th member of his family to hold the title of Earl of Shaftesbury, told BBC News NI that a sale was something he was willing to discuss again.

Blue-green algae at Lough Neagh
Image caption,
The blooms are the result of settled weather, invasive species and water pollution - mostly due to agriculture
"The situation with the sale is one that's borne out of an understanding that my ownership has always been very divisive and quite political and I always get blamed for things that are completely outside of my control," he said.

"I feel it's often used as an excuse for political inaction and I always want to do the right thing by the people living here and what's in the best interest of the lough.

"I remain open to what's the best outcome for the lough."

But the Earl of Shaftesbury said he would not consider gifting it.

"I'm well aware there are people who think that way but I'd like to be treated as any other business owner and the business has a value," he said.

"If we were going to get into a conversation about ownership, then that would be taken account of."

Lough Neagh
IMAGE SOURCE,MARK GEDDIS
Image caption,
Some angling groups say pollution in the lough is putting livelihoods at risk
The ownership has been mired in controversy for hundreds of years and, in the past, there have been legal battles over fishing and hunting rights with the Shaftesbury Estate.

The earl does not think the latest environmental crisis is his responsibility.

"The issues at the moment are to do with the water, and our ownership is the bed and soil so the current situation is not our responsibility," he said.

"We are a stakeholder, though, of Lough Neagh and we are keen to be proactive in these discussions about how we come to a solution."

Some angling groups have said pollution in the lough is putting livelihoods at risk.

Lough Neagh is also home to the largest commercial wild eel fishery in Europe.

Anglers have been advised to catch and release fish that have been within the lough because of the risk the algae poses.