Home international plans on cards

Started by Mentalman, June 22, 2007, 02:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

QuoteHome international plans on cards   
Discussions have taken place for a revival of the Home Internationals Championship - without England but including the Republic of Ireland.
Initial plans are to hold what has been called a 'Celtic Cup' every two years with the first tournament scheduled to start in 2009.

A semi-final round in August 2009 would be followed with a final and a third-place play-off in February 2010.

All four football associations are understood to be keen on the idea.

"There have been discussions over the last two years," a spokesman for the Scottish Football Association told The Scotsman. "The SFA are convinced it would be a good idea to have such a tournament, and that includes the team manager (Walter Smith).

"But because of the current fixture scheduling we would need a lead-in time of at least two years."

The Home Internationals Championship dates back to the 19th century.

The annual mini-league tournament was a focal point of the British football season, enjoying its heyday in the 1960s and 1970s, before being abandoned in 1984.

David Collins, the secretary of the Football Association of Wales, told the Scotsman: "Things are provisional, but if we could pull this off, the interest would be enormous."

"For the fans, the TV companies and potential sponsors, a Celtic Cup tournament would be huge.

"And for the managers of the respective teams it would be an opportunity to look at players in competitive friendlies.

"We are quite positive about the whole thing, although we appreciate a huge amount of work is needed before it could get off the ground.

"But the Celtic countries have had a meeting about it and we each decided to go away and work out ways whereby the tournament could be possible."

England have not been excluded from discussions but, with the Football Association cool on the idea, the Football Association of Ireland were asked to consider participation.

Collins added: "Their reasons for ending the old Home Internationals are well known.

"On the other hand, if we can get the tournament up and running and convince England there are practical solutions to the various issues, then they might want to become involved, anyway."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/6230142.stm
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Sky Blue

There should be one Ireland team representing the island.

Star Spangler

What would the point of this be?  If Ireland weren't winning it every year it would be a sad reflection of the state of soccer in the country!  :o

Evil Genius

Quote from: Sky Blue on June 22, 2007, 02:25:49 PM

Agreed. In fact I'd love to see the FAI disbanding and coming back into the IFA, but if they're still happy with their original decision to break away, who are we to instruct them otherwise?  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Tankie

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 22, 2007, 05:32:16 PM
Quote from: Sky Blue on June 22, 2007, 02:25:49 PM

Agreed. In fact I'd love to see the FAI disbanding and coming back into the IFA, but if they're still happy with their original decision to break away, who are we to instruct them otherwise?  ;)

I'm totallly against one team for the island, I dont want that linfield or cliftonville shower in dublin. we have enough shite with the rovers and bohs casuals or whatever they call themselves!
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

Good idea but it be better if England were in it too
You'll Never Walk Alone.

deiseach

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 22, 2007, 05:32:16 PM

I thought Fifa don't allow teams cross national boundaries? That's what I always read when this pops up elsewhere

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 22, 2007, 05:40:26 PM
Good idea but it be better if England were in it too

I like the idea of just Ireland, Scotland, the north and Wales being a part of this competition.  I hope this goes ahead.

Rossfan

" Home Internationals" - how can that be ???
Surely one team must play away ????

For the Nordies -  ;D ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SammyG

Quote from: Rossfan on June 22, 2007, 07:15:49 PM

The Sky report was even better, they called it The Britsh Cup  ;)

deiseach

Quote from: SammyG on June 22, 2007, 08:37:28 PM

Good to see Holly, aged 8, from Kent has found gainful employment.

Rossfan

Maybe could all be played i bPáirc na Cise Fada  8)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tankie

The Bristish and Irish Cup would be a good compromise as a name, just like the loins tour.
Grand Slam Saturday!

magickingdom

in all fairness what kind of crowds are going to turn up to watch these games in a meaningless competition? a celtic club league might have some chance but not much...

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: magickingdom on June 22, 2007, 09:53:41 PM
in all fairness what kind of crowds are going to turn up to watch these games in a meaningless competition? a celtic club league might have some chance but not much...

You'd be surprised.  If there was some good football on offer and with playing your neigbours, even though I wouldnt call any of them our rivals I'm sure it would draw good crowds.  Im sure you could draw 30,000 to a match.  It would be a bit more exciting than watching us play teams such as Albania, Estonia etc.  Plus all the teams would have a good chance of winning it if the format was a playoff with S/F and a final.  I'm all for the idea.