Home international plans on cards

Started by Mentalman, June 22, 2007, 02:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

I certainly would be surprised if it happened. The reason it was canned all those years ago was because no one gave a crap, and that was in the days when internationals were a relative novelty, with World Cup qualifying campaigns sometimes consisting of a mere six games over a two year cycle. And let's be blunt about this - England would hang like Banquo's ghost over the whole affair. Without the universally reviled Sassenachs, why bother?

GweylTah

A good idea, and further evidence - this time in sport - of the totality of relationships in these islands.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on June 22, 2007, 10:03:07 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on June 22, 2007, 09:53:41 PM
in all fairness what kind of crowds are going to turn up to watch these games in a meaningless competition? a celtic club league might have some chance but not much...

You'd be surprised.  If there was some good football on offer and with playing your neigbours, even though I wouldnt call any of them our rivals I'm sure it would draw good crowds.  Im sure you could draw 30,000 to a match.  It would be a bit more exciting than watching us play teams such as Albania, Estonia etc.  Plus all the teams would have a good chance of winning it if the format was a playoff with S/F and a final.  I'm all for the idea.

Thats a very good point regarding playing teams like Albania etc..I go to every Ireland home game and by jaysis watching friendlys agianst China and others can be quite tiring at the best of times..A few matches every year agianst Wales/Scotland/N.Ireland would actually be a good thing.
Still think it be better if England were in it though
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Chrisowc

Quote from: deiseach on June 22, 2007, 10:47:34 PM
I certainly would be surprised if it happened. The reason it was canned all those years ago was because no one gave a crap, and that was in the days when internationals were a relative novelty, with World Cup qualifying campaigns sometimes consisting of a mere six games over a two year cycle. And let's be blunt about this - England would hang like Banquo's ghost over the whole affair. Without the universally reviled Sassenachs, why bother?

The reason why it was canned all those years ago was because England and Scotland thought they were too big for it.  I would reckon most England fans would prefer to be involved in this kind of competition rather than the usual 6 sub friendlies they are subjected to.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Tankie

Quote from: Chrisowc on June 22, 2007, 11:08:55 PM

The reason why it was canned all those years ago was because England and Scotland thought they were too big for it.  I would reckon most England fans would prefer to be involved in this kind of competition rather than the usual 6 sub friendlies they are subjected to.

Na i dont think so, i'd say the would be happier playing proper teams that give a challenge!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Solomon Kane

Quote from: Tankie on June 23, 2007, 04:31:59 AM
Quote from: Chrisowc on June 22, 2007, 11:08:55 PM

Na i dont think so, i'd say the would be happier playing proper teams that give a challenge!

The last time England played Northern Ireland and Scotland (I think) competitively they lost. The last time they played the ROI in a freindly they went behind before the game was abandoned. Also, the element of a local Derby in all the games would put a wee bit of extra spark in all the teams.

magickingdom

QuoteThats a very good point regarding playing teams like Albania etc..I go to every Ireland home game and by jaysis watching friendlys agianst China and others can be quite tiring at the best of times..A few matches every year agianst Wales/Scotland/N.Ireland would actually be a good thing.
Still think it be better if England were in it though

its absolutely worthless without england. as for frendlies you can pick and chose them depending on current requirements. i really dont believe you'll get much of a crowd playing scotland in dublin in a meaningless competition ditto in edinburgh..

stiffler

Wouldn't mind seeing this competition to mark the opening of the maze stadium, but it would get boring after a year or two. Ireland v Norn Iron would be a great game to open the Stadium, with tickets shared 50/50 to the two sets of fans.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Tankie

Quote from: stiffler on June 23, 2007, 01:34:43 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing this competition to mark the opening of the maze stadium, but it would get boring after a year or two. Ireland v Norn Iron would be a great game to open the Stadium, with tickets shared 50/50 to the two sets of fans.

Not too sure many from the south would head up for that.
Grand Slam Saturday!

stiffler

There would be enough Ireland fans from the 6 counties to fill the stadium on their own, nevermind the norn iron contingent.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009