State of Minds last night - Linfield fans visit Clones

Started by T Fearon, June 21, 2007, 11:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Not happy with comparing the GAA and the OO myself, why didn't they send the two "nationalists" to a Six Counties soccer match at Windsor instead, a much more fair and balanced comparison.
Tbc....

GweylTah

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 21, 2007, 01:53:03 PM
Not happy with comparing the GAA and the OO myself, why didn't they send the two "nationalists" to a Six Counties soccer match at Windsor instead, a much more fair and balanced comparison.

I'm surprised you are only the second person (after me) to notice this and comment.

It goes to show how the two exclusivist organisations are perceived by 'the other side' and by observers, such as programme makers.

Bands named after dodgey figures in loyalism, clubs and grounds named after dodgey republicans.

Sometimes, you need to see yourselves as others see you and agree its not pretty and, OO and GAA, do something about it.

(I dare-say some in the OO wouldn't want to be compared to the GAA either, but there you go.)

T Fearon

A North of Ireland soccer game and a GAA game would have been a much fairer comparison indeed, along with the provisio that the IFA is a member of UEFA and FIFA and thus has a responsibility to promote soccer for all, apolitically, in a divided community, whereas the GAA is a relatively (on a global scale) small sporting/cultural organisation with a responsibility to its relatively small (again in global terms) membership.

his holiness nb

Quote from: GweylTah on June 21, 2007, 01:56:44 PM
I'm surprised you are only the second person (after me) to notice this and comment.

It goes to show how the two exclusivist organisations are perceived by 'the other side' and by observers, such as programme makers.

Bands named after dodgey figures in loyalism, clubs and grounds named after dodgey republicans.

Sometimes, you need to see yourselves as others see you and agree its not pretty and, OO and GAA, do something about it.

(I dare-say some in the OO wouldn't want to be compared to the GAA either, but there you go.)

It doesnt go to show anything, I noticed it but didnt comment as I dont have time to comment on every point.
you may as well join the GAA Gweltyah, you spend enough time on gaaboard  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Ask me holy bollix

Mentalman

Quote from: his holiness nb on June 21, 2007, 02:08:29 PM
you may as well join the GAA Gweltyah, you spend enough time on gaaboard  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Let's not get back into this again :) Discussed already ad infinitum, she is excluded by virtue of the GAA "rules".
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Star Spangler

Quote(I dare-say some in the OO wouldn't want to be compared to the GAA either, but there you go.)

Aye right!  :D

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on June 21, 2007, 01:26:14 PM
I don't think I'm talking nonsense. Having attended many games at Windsor Park in the past,I would not have been in any way comfortable in disclosing my identity to a stranger who was sitting or standing beside me and at an Orange Parade I wouldn't even consider it.

Yet these two lads did, were happy to do so, even happy to disclose that they were Linfield fans, to a complete stranger,so it speaks volumes about perceptions and tolerance levels between the two communities.

Of course it shouldn't matter what religion you are or what soccer team you support at any public event

What, not happy disclosing your identity and you an NI fan and all?  :D

Anyhow, before one of last season's matches, I was chatting to a lad in an NI scarf, waiting at a cab rank. Turned out he'd flown in from England earlier in the day. He was a bit quiet, but I said I was going to be in the Globe before the game if he fancied a jar.

By the time I got there, he was already "in the chair" and having a great time - the pub was packed with supporters in the colours. As we chatted, he explained why he wasn't particularly expansive when we'd spoken earlier. Seems he is Catholic, first game in ages, and he was a bit unsure what it might be like. Of course, by now he knew that he needn't have worried the slightest.

P.S. I can't find the source, but there was a Survey knocking about a year or two ago which revealed that between 7 and 8 % of the crowd at NI matches are Catholic. In a 14,000 capacity, this amounts to over 1,000. I personally feel it could be significantly higher, were it not for the fact that the bulk of the tickets are tied up in the hands of Block Bookers", who've been registered for some years now. Consequently, casual, new or returning supporters find it extremely hard to get tickets for all but the odd match.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: GweylTah on June 21, 2007, 01:56:44 PM

Bands named after dodgey figures in loyalism

GwelTah its not the dodgey Loyalist HRH Queen Liz  ;)  :D  ;Dthat would stop me going to Windsor Park its the fact that I be afraid I be lynched if I opened my mouth & said a word in my Mayo (Southern) Accent.

You can call a N.I. Soccer (Acc. Football) stadium King Billy Rocks the House National Park for all I care as long as the team & supporters make all members of the Community feal welcome. I ain't no madcap Catholic fanatic or raving nationalist but you rename McHale Park & I won't be too pleased.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on June 21, 2007, 02:21:57 PM
GwelTah its not the dodgey Loyalist HRH Queen Liz  ;)  :D  ;Dthat would stop me going to Windsor Park its the fact that I be afraid I be lynched if I opened my mouth & said a word in my Mayo (Southern) Accent.

It has never bothered our (small) "Band of Brothers" from the Donegal NISC and whilst I would understand your not wanting to chance it, I've no doubt that other than being intrigued, no-one would be a bit bothered at someone who just wants to watch a football match and savour the atmosphere.

Mind you, you'd need a bloody good excuse for how you came by your match ticket!  :D
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

red hander

It must have been a bit of a change for the two Linfield lads to be in a stadium that had a crowd in it

T Fearon

;D Very good redhander. ;D

In all seriousness I think these lads deserve credit. They hadn't a bad word to say about their experience and could well have used any excuse to have a gratuitous swipe at the GAA

magpie seanie

Quotecould well have used any excuse to have a gratuitous swipe at the GAA

Ara now no-one would ever do that.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I'm a wee bit suspicious of what the BBC are trying to achieve with these love-in programmes....Oh, we must share each other's culture, respect their traditions and share experiences, overnight, because our overpaid politicians are now all laughing and ca-hooing up at Stormont.

Yet, they are trying to equate a game that is popular all over the island of Ireland with 17th century sectarian marches.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on June 21, 2007, 03:27:57 PM
I'm a wee bit suspicious of what the BBC are trying to achieve with these love-in programmes....Oh, we must share each other's culture, respect their traditions and share experiences, overnight, because our overpaid politicians are now all laughing and ca-hooing up at Stormont.

Yet, they are trying to equate a game that is popular all over the island of Ireland with 17th century sectarian marches.

Sure isn't the most popular man in the GAA from the Protestant tradition (mind a West Cork not East Belfast one) Mr. Samual Maguire, he is so loved in Mayo the place is obsessed with him visiting, there is hardly 5 minutes that his name is mentioned in Mayo.

stew

I used to have a lot of dealings with the loyalist bands when I was in my early twenties, I drove a bus for Ulsterbus at the time and worked every twelfth and thirteenth for four years on mandatory overtime, it was always interesting to watch peoples attitude toward you change as the day wore on because the would bate drink into them all day long and be out in the fresh air for hours at a time, watch the effigy get burnt and then some of them wanted to kill the only fenian with ten square mile, thank God for the one or two men on the bus that I knew who would not stand for any bullshit and kept us safe.

The last year I drove them they got off to have dinner in a wee orange hall somewhere outside of scarva and I was getting dogs abuse and i knew i would nd up getting assaulted if i hung around so when the last of them got off i took off back to Armagh and told the inspector he could get them home whatever the hell way he wanted but I was done with them, he cracked up and told me he would have my job and actually told me to get back and pick them up, I told him he could go frig himself as my health was more important than their getting home, I never got into any trouble but I still carry a hatred of the true blues and the OO to this day and in my opinion they are a shower of hate filled scumbags.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.