Elections North and South

Started by Farrandeelin, April 18, 2019, 04:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on May 13, 2019, 05:08:24 PM
Just heard today that someone who couldn't even get re-elected in the recent Council elections has now been co-opted & promoted to replace an MLA,  who had stepped down to become a councillor. You couldn't make it up! Shows a certain contempt for the whole election process.

I understand why co-option exists but it is also abused- quite cynically by some parties

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: trailer on May 13, 2019, 05:39:20 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on May 13, 2019, 05:08:24 PM
Just heard today that someone who couldn't even get re-elected in the recent Council elections has now been co-opted & promoted to replace an MLA,  who had stepped down to become a councillor. You couldn't make it up! Shows a certain contempt for the whole election process.

Who?

Maoilisa McHugh from Castlederg.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

smelmoth

Quote from: armaghniac on May 13, 2019, 03:22:43 PM
Six county Euro poll.

SF 27.2%
DUP 20.2%
SDLP 13.1%
UUP 11.8%
Alliance 11.3%
TUV 8.5%
Green 4.6%
Unionist for Brexit 1.7%
Ind Morrice 1.4%
Con & Ind McCann 0.1% each

Completely frightening the degree of a lead of SF and DUP. The 2 candidates are difficult to find the words to describe. Let's hope there is a candidates debate.

Hard to know who would get the third seat but you would have to think Long would get the most transfers

smelmoth

Quote from: screenexile on May 13, 2019, 05:00:40 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 13, 2019, 04:47:39 PM
SF 27.2% Jesus wept. Martina Anderson isn't even credible as a person never mind a politician.

Did you not get the memo about all the good work she's doing in Brussels opposing Brexit ??

It's their stock answer for anything to do with it... "Oh well Martina Anderson is doing blah blah f**k all"
Too true
The Party political broadcast will be good

general_lee

The bar is set pretty low when it comes to politicians here so I don't see what the obsession is with Martina Anderson other than a bit of old fashioned Sinn Fein bashing? They're all pretty shite as individuals and politicians, she definitely doesn't have the monopoly in the department

Insane Bolt

What I find sad is that 20+ years after the GFA the majority of voters are still voting for the two extremes....green or orange. I can't see it changing any time soon.
Local council elections here in England were being hailed as if the people had risen up so to speak and given the two main parties a reality check......the sad reality is come a general election.....you have blue or red.
I'm certainly done with voting.

charlieTully

SF 27.2% Jesus wept. Martina Anderson isn't even credible as a person never mind a politician.

She was fighting a war while you were hiding under your bed.

smelmoth

Quote from: general_lee on May 14, 2019, 12:59:15 AM
The bar is set pretty low when it comes to politicians here so I don't see what the obsession is with Martina Anderson other than a bit of old fashioned Sinn Fein bashing? They're all pretty shite as individuals and politicians, she definitely doesn't have the monopoly in the department

There is no obsession. There is an interest in her because she is a candidate in an election and therefore as a democrat and one of the incumbents she is inviting assessment of her track record.

Martina Anderson may not have a monopoly on ineffectiveness but she commands at least her fair share. What I'm trying to establish is what capabilities, attributes and achievements does she possess that would lead an individual to vote for her over say Morrice or Long? Or do people deliberately vote for a less capable candidate? What would the motivation for that be. Unionists who vote dogmatically are frequently labelled blinkered and bigoted on this forum.

The other reason for assessing Anderson is because of Marty34's convincing Hurlers on the Ditch thesis which means only Anderson and Dodds can be assessed

smelmoth

Quote from: Insane Bolt on May 14, 2019, 08:06:16 AM
What I find sad is that 20+ years after the GFA the majority of voters are still voting for the two extremes....green or orange. I can't see it changing any time soon.
Local council elections here in England were being hailed as if the people had risen up so to speak and given the two main parties a reality check......the sad reality is come a general election.....you have blue or red.
I'm certainly done with voting.

That makes no sense. There must be one candidate worth voting for. Get out and vote for them. Your are going to have a future, that future will be influenced by politicians. To opt out and leave the selection of and accountability of politicians to others is a cop out

smelmoth

Quote from: charlieTully on May 14, 2019, 08:28:46 AM

Is this what passes as credentials for public office? If there is a candidate's debate are these the credentials she will bring to the fore? What does her promotional literature say?

Tony Baloney

You can criticise her without nailing SF. I think she is absolutely useless and has zero respect amongst her peers. She got voted in because of who she is rather than what she can do. I would equally say the same about Dodds.

If I wanted someone to diligently and competently fight my corner in Europe I'd go for Long. I'd even have Danny Kennedy ahead of either Anderson or Dodds.

trailer

Quote from: charlieTully on May 14, 2019, 08:28:46 AM

Ahhy dead on big lad.

RedHand88

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 14, 2019, 01:10:41 PM
You can criticise her without nailing SF. I think she is absolutely useless and has zero respect amongst her peers. She got voted in because of who she is rather than what she can do. I would equally say the same about Dodds.

If I wanted someone to diligently and competently fight my corner in Europe I'd go for Long. I'd even have Danny Kennedy ahead of either Anderson or Dodds.

Have you ever seen Anderson and Dodds in the same debate? If you did you wouldn't put them anywhere near the same level!

playwiththewind1st

Think I would rather watch paint drying.

smelmoth

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on May 14, 2019, 01:17:03 PM
Think I would rather watch paint drying.

Any word of a candidate's debate? These candidates need to be properly exposed. Could play to Morrice's strength