Schools Hurling

Started by redsetanta, February 24, 2015, 06:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Agreed Keyser, all it takes is one man (or woman) to drive it on,Bro.Dennis in Birr being a prime example of what a visionary can do for a school and county.

When you look at the pick the CBS have,they are punching way below their level in both codes.

A coulple of strong schools are vital to the underage scene.

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 22, 2016, 07:46:35 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on November 22, 2016, 05:27:57 PM
Brendan Bugler went for a job in the CBS when he was commuting from Feakle to Callan CBS,None of those interviewing him realized what his achievements outside of teaching were he was passed over for the position and he's now in Flannans.

While he'd have been great to have, are there not a couple of fairly high profile former intercounty hurlers in there already?
It doesn't take a huge number of people of get a sport going in a school. Look at what Christy Coughlan did in Mountrath.
You'd have to wonder how much time an intercounty hurler from Clare would have had to give to coaching young lads from Portlaoise CBS as well. I'd almost commend them for not hiring or recognizing him simply because he was an intercounty hurler.

clonadmad

Yeah god forbid they might  recognize an All Ireland winning hurler all right there Don.

Why would chaps need any bit of insight from a winner as to what standards they have to achieve when we are doing so well on our own.

The Birr lads didn't have the same insular approach when Bro.Dennis came up from Cork.

Don Draper

It's not about an insular approach, it's about appointing a teacher based on his ability to teach not because he's a hurler who won an auld all Ireland. As pointed out there's plenty in there who can do that as it is, typical Laois, always dazzled by the shiny trinkets.

Pat Aherne didn't have too many baubles and did a great job for a long number of years because he had a passion for it. Same with Mick Scully.

clonadmad

That approach must be working with the CBS now at the minute Don.I see even in the Leinster schools football,the CBS is in Juvenile division D.

Current Division D Cup holders that well known schools football powerhouse .....St.Kierans  Kilkenny

Calling an all ireland medal a shiny trinket says it all

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on November 22, 2016, 10:25:35 PM
That approach must be working with the CBS now at the minute Don.I see even in the Leinster schools football,the CBS is in Juvenile division D.

Current Division D Cup holders that well known schools football powerhouse .....St.Kierans  Kilkenny

You think Bugler was going to boost football in the CBS?!

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on November 22, 2016, 10:39:59 PM

Ah now it's clear enough what Clonadmad meant there Don, in fairness!

Quote from: Don Draper on November 22, 2016, 09:16:52 PM
It's not about an insular approach, it's about appointing a teacher based on his ability to teach not because he's a hurler who won an auld all Ireland. As pointed out there's plenty in there who can do that as it is, typical Laois, always dazzled by the shiny trinkets.

Pat Aherne didn't have too many baubles and did a great job for a long number of years because he had a passion for it. Same with Mick Scully.

But why isn't it happening. When you look at Portlaoise underage from U12 to U21. Where are all these lads in school?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 22, 2016, 11:12:21 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on November 22, 2016, 10:39:59 PM

Ah now it's clear enough what Clonadmad meant there Don, in fairness!

Quote from: Don Draper on November 22, 2016, 09:16:52 PM

But why isn't it happening. When you look at Portlaoise underage from U12 to U21. Where are all these lads in school?

Thats a good question to ask Keyser, but its not even remotely related to what clonadmad was referring to when he mentioned Bugler. The Bugler thing is incidental, its not the reason Portlaoise are where they are. Your guess is as good as mine on that.

But I don't believe a board should hire a teacher because he won an All Ireland medal. Its an insult to the real reason our children go to a school.

Keyser Söze

Schools are for education. Sport can play a massive part in that.
If the chap was a good teacher and had references to prove it, I'd be inclined to give him a job. Anyone who has had to make a decision on their child's place of secondary education recently will testify that schools are putting on big shows for us parents and someone like him would fit the bill perfectly.
But i accept that his All Ireland medal alone shouldn't secure a job.

It is amazing how poor the CBS are in hurling. Mountrath and Heywood totally outperform them (from what I see- could be wrong).
Progressive counties (like Kilkenny) bend over backwards offering practical support to the promotion of hurling in schools. It is vital for the success of intercounty underage teams.
Laois needs strong teams at every grade in Mountrath, Heywood and CBS.
Having one of the three going well at given time will never be enough to feed an u16/minor team.

I'd also question the type of support we offer schools. I'd really question the return on sending GDAs into schools to do TY coaching courses and referees courses and that type of thing.
Will this help improve the quality of hurler emerging from our secondary schools? In my opinion, no.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Don the story relating to Bugler was only a very small example of the lack of interest in GAA in that particular school,but you turned it in the main event,well done on missing the wood from the trees.

Bottom line there's seems to a massive underperformance in the 2nd level schools in Portlaoise Parish given the numbers available to them and this needs to be addressed.

As regards the comment about Bugler and Football,I'm surprised Don that you weren't aware that he has 2 County Senior Football medals.

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on November 23, 2016, 09:03:40 AM
Don the story relating to Bugler was only a very small example of the lack of interest in GAA in that particular school,but you turned it in the main event,well done on missing the wood from the trees.

Bottom line there's seems to a massive underperformance in the 2nd level schools in Portlaoise Parish given the numbers available to them and this needs to be addressed.

As regards the comment about Bugler and Football,I'm surprised Don that you weren't aware that he has 2 County Senior Football medals.
So now we're looking for teachers who have won county senior medals in Clare?

You got upset because the board interviewing a teacher didn't know he had a hobby. Thats not what they should be looking for. Sure there's problems on the hurling and football fields, but what about the other sports, should they go interviewing for basketball winners as well? I took you up on this point, and only this point.

I would agree fully there is a massive issue in Portlaoise CBS, and you did mention SCR in that, well the obvious reason SCR are doing what they're doing is simple, they have a passionate Portlaoise and Laois man with great drive and interest running the show in there. He energises the players, and his fellow staff. They're very very lucky to have him. I'd be very doubtful Bugler could or would give the same or anything close to the same, to the CBS.

If the CBS has an issue at games level, then should we ask is there anyone in there running the show? And if not, should there be?

clonadmad

Yes and there's the obvious solution,Don

Hire in someone similar to PC who's passionate,knowledgeable and has the skills to back it up,maybe Bugler wasn't the man but he had at least 2/3 of the 3.

It wouldnt do the powers that be any harm to tip down to Kilkenny and chat to the likes of Adrian Finan (u21 All Ireland Winning manager) and principal of St.Kierans to see what best practice looks like.

redsetanta

Good debate lads but Don what does SCR refer to?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on November 23, 2016, 09:52:51 AM
Good debate lads but Don what does SCR refer to?
Scoil Chriost Rí, Pat Critchley's domain. Competing at high levels in gaelic, basketball and even soccer.

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on November 23, 2016, 09:40:20 AM

It wouldnt do the powers that be any harm to tip down to Kilkenny and chat to the likes of Adrian Finan (u21 All Ireland Winning manager) and principal of St.Kierans to see what best practice looks like.
Now you're talking. But given the slippage in there, do the powers give a flying f**k?