Is Joe Kernans legacy tarnished by his failure with Galway?

Started by Peter Solan the Great, July 10, 2010, 07:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Joe Kernans legacy tarnished by his failure with Galway?

Yes
22 (36.1%)
No
30 (49.2%)
Grimely had a lot to do with kernans legacy
9 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 61

The Konica

I've no agenda, just balancing the argument and defending the man.
I just can't understand this sudden turn for every man rushing sticking the boot in Kernan now he's down.

You think Big Joe was the reason Armagh lost All Irelands and Grimley was the reason behind Armaghs success?

DuffleKing

Haven't a clue.

Attempting to destroy Grimley's credability seems like a strange way to defend Joe mor

lawnseed

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: The Konica on July 11, 2010, 02:45:03 PM
I love all these clowns who say Grimley was the brains behind the Armagh success and Joe was just a face.

What a load of rubbish.
Big Joe was the man with his head on the block and Grimley was an outstanding 2nd in command.

To say he was the main man is nonsense. He had his chance at the No.1 spot with Cavan and look where they went! Surely if he was the man they say he'd have done something with them?

Someone said Grimley has had success everywhere he's gone! A strawberry season with Kildare and one Championship win with Monaghan??
McGeeney, a new voice, new training, taking on the Kildare team alone with some motivation would have had the same effect year one and Monaghan aren't some new bunch of youngsters either, they're a hardened team.
He's not been a huge success with DCU either has he?

Grimley is a very, very good coach, but to take credit from Joe is very biased and unfair.

It's been a shocking start for Joe in Galway and God know's he needs time, but it'll take a while longer to destroy his legacy ...

They were both made to look good because they inherited a team that was built by the 2 brians. Kernan and Grimley added the finishing touches to the team. Like I said, if you could have Grimley or Kernan as manager who would you have?

The Konica

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 11, 2010, 03:17:27 PM

Haven't a clue.

Attempting to destroy Grimley's credability seems like a strange way to defend Joe mor

Nothing of the sort - I think and I've said repeatedly he's a wonderful number 2 - and he will improve Monaghan too this year. In fact I think they can take Tyrone and largely because of his input - but that's different from walking into a team like Cross and taking them from 'bottom' to top.

The Konica

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on July 11, 2010, 03:26:17 PM
Quote from: The Konica on July 11, 2010, 02:45:03 PM
I love all these clowns who say Grimley was the brains behind the Armagh success and Joe was just a face.

What a load of rubbish.
Big Joe was the man with his head on the block and Grimley was an outstanding 2nd in command.

To say he was the main man is nonsense. He had his chance at the No.1 spot with Cavan and look where they went! Surely if he was the man they say he'd have done something with them?

Someone said Grimley has had success everywhere he's gone! A strawberry season with Kildare and one Championship win with Monaghan??
McGeeney, a new voice, new training, taking on the Kildare team alone with some motivation would have had the same effect year one and Monaghan aren't some new bunch of youngsters either, they're a hardened team.
He's not been a huge success with DCU either has he?

Grimley is a very, very good coach, but to take credit from Joe is very biased and unfair.

It's been a shocking start for Joe in Galway and God know's he needs time, but it'll take a while longer to destroy his legacy ...

They were both made to look good because they inherited a team that was built by the 2 brians. Kernan and Grimley added the finishing touches to the team. Like I said, if you could have Grimley or Kernan as manager who would you have?

That's a very fair and valid point, often forgotten.

Personally I'd have Joe as Manager.
I think as an organiser and head it would be Joe and trust he could (as he's done before) bring in the best men for the various selecting and training roles - which is part of the role of manager.

DuffleKing

Quote from: The Konica on July 11, 2010, 02:58:30 PM
(Just noticed he's picked his teams well too.... Cavan, DCU, Kildare, Clontibret, Bank of Banty, none of whom are struggling for a few bob)

Odd to infer that Grimley is a money grabber as a response to questions over Joe's capabilities.
Is Joe in Galway for the good of his health?

lawnseed

maybe he saw cavan were no good. the answer is no, big joe got the thumbs up from the galway county board. todays irish star

lawnseed

AFS

This thread makes interesting reading today. I thought Grimley was carrying McGeeney?

mrgaa1

Quote from: illdecide on July 10, 2010, 09:56:54 PM
What legacy? Everyone in Armagh knows Paul grimley was the brains behind the operation and Joe was the motivator and if the truth be told i reckon Joe cost Armagh at least one other all ireland if not two. Galway might not win anything under Joe but they'll sure as hell be out a few Euro before it's all over
+1 - WHAT LEGACY are we talking about?

AFS

Quote from: mrgaa1 on July 24, 2010, 08:01:49 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 10, 2010, 09:56:54 PM
What legacy? Everyone in Armagh knows Paul grimley was the brains behind the operation and Joe was the motivator and if the truth be told i reckon Joe cost Armagh at least one other all ireland if not two. Galway might not win anything under Joe but they'll sure as hell be out a few Euro before it's all over
+1 - WHAT LEGACY are we talking about?

Was Paul Grimley 'the brains behind' Monaghan the last couple of weeks? Perhaps he's only the brains behind winning teams?

TacadoirArdMhacha

The only people who worry about legacies are those who couldn't even dream of having the attributes to create them.

I've always been a wee bit saddened by the way people in Armagh over the past few years have been inclined to a have a bit of a go at Joe. Albeit that it never descended to the pillioring wee Pete took in Down but distasteful all the same.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

lawnseed

seems big joe is in the picture for the royals manager job. good luck to him

Apple Crumble

Quote from: lawnseed on October 25, 2010, 10:41:17 PM
seems big joe is in the picture for the royals manager job. good luck to him

Good luck to him surely.  taking over a up & coming team.

Will he be flying there too??