Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Dunsilly King

Quote from: bannside on October 05, 2023, 11:12:34 AMAll about opinions DK. Ballinderry knew how to get the best out of Gilligan (and Colie Devlin too) in a way Derry didn't. All great players there tbf...

I'm sure you do realise club level is a few runs of the ladder below county explaining why club standard suited them? all these brilliant players derry had with  all those ulster championships they have, is it 9 in a 140 plus years ;D  ;D  ;D 

InnocentByStander

Quote from: bannside on October 05, 2023, 11:12:34 AMAll about opinions DK. Ballinderry knew how to get the best out of Gilligan (and Colie Devlin too) in a way Derry didn't. All great players there tbf...

this is the equivalent as saying a great minor player who is struggling at senior level ah jesus the minor managers just knew how to get the best out of him.

Great players in their right but definitely not top county players.

Dunsilly King

does that mean your club manager is shite as he can't get the best out of your club forwards? ;D  ;D

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on October 04, 2023, 11:02:15 PM
Quote from: smort on October 04, 2023, 10:00:37 PM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on October 04, 2023, 09:47:45 PMSo after The Loup's win tonight it's Loup v Coleraine and Ballinderry v Swatragh in the play offs

Is it the loser of each goes down?

Yep losers play intermediate championship next year

Unless they choose to play Senior which anyone can do, according to Mary K. Really hope we don't go down this road...

Real Talk

Its very hard to compare the different styles of football/footballers over a 20 year period. I remember Enda Gormley having a fantastic All Ireland both as an attacking forward and also showing a great appetite to tackle back .... Eamon Coleman always said that the teams' defence should start in the full forward line.  In the 2022 Ulster Final nobody epitomised this better than Shane McGuigan when he made a brilliant catch in the final minutes to secure victory.  In the Tyrone team that won their 3 All Irelands under Harte the played a complete team game (just as Derry did this so successfully this last few years) and the intensity of their tackling was unreal. 

Hope Derry under Harte can continue these parts of their game

jmcgdoire

Quote from: InnocentByStander on October 05, 2023, 12:14:45 PM

this is the equivalent as saying a great minor player who is struggling at senior level ah jesus the minor managers just knew how to get the best out of him.

Great players in their right but definitely not top county players.

You say they're not top county players because they didnt deliver as much at county. But the quality of footballer was still there.

Imagine you went to a Ballinderry Glenullin game circa 2008. Both Paddy Bradley and Gilligan would stand out as the stars for their teams (while probably being marked by the other team's star/county defender). Because they were both of immense quality.

Now clearly one of them played much better for their county and Im not sure what accounts for that. But we should acknowledge that players like Deets are that kind of TOP quality standard players that Derry never got the best out of.

imtommygunn

shawshank

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 05, 2023, 02:52:50 PMPace acccounts for it I think.

Thank God there is someone with a half a football brain who can see the difference in a top club forward verses a top county player, strength was another obvious difference. I would argue in Deets defence that he had a better footballing brain.

tbrick18

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 05, 2023, 09:28:46 AM
Quote from: bannside on October 04, 2023, 07:00:16 PMWhat would Derry do now for a few Paddy Bradley's or Conleith Gilligan, or Skinner for that matter. Forwards like that are as hard to find as golddust.

Gilligan was a super club player but I never would have classed him in a category anywhere near the Bradleys, Mark Lynch, Muldoon, O'Kane, McFlynn and a whole lot more in county terms.

I dont agree.
Deets wasnt at the level of Muldoon/Bradley, but he was a free taker too and complemented Bradley on that front.
Many teams have (used to anyway) players who are free takers primarily and dont offer as much from open play. Deets was a decent county player, but stood out on the free taking front. imo.

tbrick18

Quote from: rrhf on October 04, 2023, 07:24:09 PMFrom memory the Derry faithful were inclined to give Skinner and Paddy plenty of stick when playing for Derry. Maybe that perception is incorrect?
I think the Derry problem started after 94 and was never truly healed.  The respect MM gets throughout Ireland....  Do you feel he has yet to receive that in Derry or are there people too bitter still? More than putting items like these on Mickey Harte's plate or any other managers.  These are issue the Derry people can resolve and need to resolve themselves to become a serious power. Both you and I know what will likely happen if the new regime fails get off to a flyer. The man is seriously determined to win an all Ireland and no stone will be left unturned.  Go easy...

Some did.
Mostly this was club bias or a dislike of them from a personal pov, I believe.
However, most of us saw them for what they were. Top drawer forwards. Paddy in particular is one of the best forwards I have ever seen play. Skinner had his moments.
If both had been avalaible for that Ulster final against Donegal where Murphy blagged a penalty, that could well have been a different outcome.

Derry Man

Derry's coverage of the championship has been embarrassing compared to our neighbours. Only 2 of the Senior Quarter Finals streamed this weekend compared to Tyrone who have streamed all championship matches Senior, Intermediate & Junior. We haven't even streamed 1 Football game the entire group stage and streamed the hurling final in which the coverage was unwatchable.

ClubScene13

Quote from: Derry Man on October 05, 2023, 06:59:37 PMDerry's coverage of the championship has been embarrassing compared to our neighbours. Only 2 of the Senior Quarter Finals streamed this weekend compared to Tyrone who have streamed all championship matches Senior, Intermediate & Junior. We haven't even streamed 1 Football game the entire group stage and streamed the hurling final in which the coverage was unwatchable.

Not a dig but the Twitter account is poor as well. I look for scores around most of the games in ulster and often times if Mal McMullan isn't tweeting you're waiting to the score lines on the Derry website

Brendan

Quote from: ClubScene13 on October 05, 2023, 08:39:20 PM
Quote from: Derry Man on October 05, 2023, 06:59:37 PMDerry's coverage of the championship has been embarrassing compared to our neighbours. Only 2 of the Senior Quarter Finals streamed this weekend compared to Tyrone who have streamed all championship matches Senior, Intermediate & Junior. We haven't even streamed 1 Football game the entire group stage and streamed the hurling final in which the coverage was unwatchable.

Not a dig but the Twitter account is poor as well. I look for scores around most of the games in ulster and often times if Mal McMullan isn't tweeting you're waiting to the score lines on the Derry website

There's a few usual heads tweet scores throughout if you just type in one of the clubs into the search bar from the match you're looking to follow

Wildweasel74

Do they deliberately not put on updates to try either make people go to the game or watch online.

Wildweasel74

Hear Ole Brolly ranting again about Harte and making a complaint to Croke Park to investigate under the counter payments from Derry, he's really going to endear himself to Derry fans.