Premier League 2021-22

Started by Boycey, July 12, 2021, 09:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sensethetone

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 01, 2022, 07:39:49 AM
Trevor Giles has already applied for an exemption

Though sleeveless it will need designed with the 3 short stripes or Trevor will have to do with out.

JoG2

Re the 2022/2023 season ahead, throwing a daft WC into the mix, player burn out, injuries forcing huge squad rotation, I can't see anything other than a cake walk for Man City, 15+ points win (and I don't do cute hoorism). No-one can remotely compete with their money, squad etc

Gael80

Quote from: JoG2 on June 01, 2022, 10:18:57 AM
Re the 2022/2023 season ahead, throwing a daft WC into the mix, player burn out, injuries forcing huge squad rotation, I can't see anything other than a cake walk for Man City, 15+ points win (and I don't do cute hoorism). No-one can remotely compete with their money, squad etc

5 sub rule changes the game as well, Liverpool have worked miracles to compete but City being able to use 5 substitutes every league game means they could easily achieve 100 points next season.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gael80 on June 01, 2022, 10:29:21 AM

5 sub rule changes the game as well, Liverpool have worked miracles to compete but City being able to use 5 substitutes every league game means they could easily achieve 100 points next season.

All clubs will have that ability to use 5 subs.. But you can only play with 11 so that hasn't changed, they used 5 subs against Real and still got chinned in their most important game to that point!

5 subs will be great if you looking to change tactics or when behind a needing something else, but lets say we take Liverpool for example, is there any games last year that using 5 subs would have changed the game? In the league they never lost.  so for City and Liverpool I can't see much of a difference.

I actually think it will help teams play players that are looking some game time who are getting back from injury and there is less pressure to keep them on for too long and cause longer issues with injuries, being able to bring more subs on will increase the internal competitiveness when team selection is being made with fringe players getting more opportunities to get time on the pitch
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 01, 2022, 01:47:14 PM

All clubs will have that ability to use 5 subs.. But you can only play with 11 so that hasn't changed, they used 5 subs against Real and still got chinned in their most important game to that point!

5 subs will be great if you looking to change tactics or when behind a needing something else, but lets say we take Liverpool for example, is there any games last year that using 5 subs would have changed the game? In the league they never lost.  so for City and Liverpool I can't see much of a difference.

I actually think it will help teams play players that are looking some game time who are getting back from injury and there is less pressure to keep them on for too long and cause longer issues with injuries, being able to bring more subs on will increase the internal competitiveness when team selection is being made with fringe players getting more opportunities to get time on the pitch

You've completely missed the point MR2

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JoG2 on June 01, 2022, 02:25:40 PM

I don't see it as a problem, and can't see how City will get 100 points just because they can,  is my point.

I've listed that City could use 5 subs in the CL and it made no difference, in fact using the 5 subs and taking off the better players could be argued that it caused them to lose..

I know the rule is coming into the PL I think for a lot of clubs it is a good thing, again, you don't have to use them.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kidder81

I think it's very obvious, or should be,  the 5 subs rule benefits the bigger teams with deeper squads. Not sure why it's even up for debate  :-\

Armamike

It's hard to know. How many premier leagues in a row do they win before a little bit of mental fatigue, complacency or whatever creeps in.  Liverpool will do everything in their power to go one better next season.  If Liverpool weren't competing it would be a stroll every year for City!
That's just, like your opinion man.

thewobbler

There'll be an increased benefit of keeping an Andy Carroll type around the squad on match days, an a James Collins type to fend him off. The like of these could have an almost NFL style place kicker value.

It should also see more youngsters making their bow and gaining valuable minutes.

It will allow managers a real option for subbing a sub who doesn't perform, which is welcome.

But it will play mostly into the hands of wealthier clubs. This is the way, in association football.

Gael80

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 01, 2022, 02:54:17 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on June 01, 2022, 02:25:40 PM

I don't see it as a problem, and can't see how City will get 100 points just because they can,  is my point.

I've listed that City could use 5 subs in the CL and it made no difference, in fact using the 5 subs and taking off the better players could be argued that it caused them to lose..

I know the rule is coming into the PL I think for a lot of clubs it is a good thing, again, you don't have to use them.

You've missed the point I was making. Real Madrid have a world class squad, more than capable of replacing like for like after 65 to 70 minutes. Southamption, Crystal Palace and to a lesser extent West Ham played out of their skins to get a point against City, in the same way Brentford and Brighton did the same getting a point from Liverpool.

Those teams wouldn't have more than a few players that could compete for a top 4 squad place. Imagine all the hard work to then see five genuinely world class players coming off the bench throughout the second half. All those results I mentioned above would have been City and Liverpool wins with the 5 sub rule.

City will spend big to have 18 world class players available every game and over the course of 90 plus minutes will beat the vast majority of teams from 5th down twice as teams get tired and then have to hold on against fresh world class players. They'll achieve 100 points or very close to it with the new substitute rule.

Capt Pat

5 subs also helps the lower quality teams who put in big efforts against the top teams running around a lot, tackling, pressing putting in a big effort for 60 or 70 minutes can then bring in 5 pairs of fresh legs to close out the game. You don't have to be a high quality player to put in a big physical effort.

maldini

City had a smaller squad this season than Liverpool and Chelsea. A list  of first team senior players was doing the rounds a few months ago and City had 18 compared to 22 and 23 at the other clubs
They lost Mendy and Torres from that squad and still won the league.

I'd expect them to add a left back and midfielder to replace Fernandinho as well as Haaland so really hard to see them not winning it again next year when they've won the last two without an actual striker

Also Guardiola actually doesn't make that many subs. In a few games he didn't win this year he was criticised for not bringing anyone on to change things. The 5 sub thing won't change much

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: maldini on June 02, 2022, 11:46:14 PM
City had a smaller squad this season than Liverpool and Chelsea. A list  of first team senior players was doing the rounds a few months ago and City had 18 compared to 22 and 23 at the other clubs
They lost Mendy and Torres from that squad and still won the league.

I'd expect them to add a left back and midfielder to replace Fernandinho as well as Haaland so really hard to see them not winning it again next year when they've won the last two without an actual striker

Also Guardiola actually doesn't make that many subs. In a few games he didn't win this year he was criticised for not bringing anyone on to change things. The 5 sub thing won't change much

I may be picking you up wrong, but surely that can't be true. Are you saying they only had 16 players? 3 of them would be goalkeepers
Hasta la victoria siempre

maldini

City had 17 outfield players with Liverpool and Chelsea 22
All teams had 3 goalkeepers

screenexile

Quote from: maldini on June 03, 2022, 07:32:30 AM
City had 17 outfield players with Liverpool and Chelsea 22
All teams had 3 goalkeepers

Can't be right sure Liverpool are minnows agains the might of the Saudi regime...