Voice calls

Started by Eamonnca1, August 10, 2022, 05:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: An Watcher on August 11, 2022, 11:27:34 AM
I think there is a real issue with teenagers holding a conversation these.  Things that you take for granted like chatting with strangers, answering the phone to someone, saying hello etc etc.  I think young ones now are so socially awkward and it's getting worse

Ever get a call from your Da? Short and sweet, which is most Da's I'd suggest.

No different.

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2022, 08:43:07 AM
Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on August 11, 2022, 04:06:42 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 10, 2022, 05:33:21 PM
Who here still makes voice calls on the phone? I've always hated it, and I'm delighted to see it disappearing. If I need to ring someone I've been known to put it off for days. There's just something weird and unnatural about taking to someone you can't see, it never sat right with me.

Probably explains why you're a hero member on a message board forum for middle aged men and above

You'd be a hero member if you can stay on the board long enough with the same name

First account, watched the board for years but wanted to contribute to the arsenal thread so created one.

Apologies I obviously hit a nerve though with the middle aged men comment. How dare I attack your precious echo chamber

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on August 11, 2022, 11:29:50 AM
Quote from: An Watcher on August 11, 2022, 11:27:34 AM
I think there is a real issue with teenagers holding a conversation these.  Things that you take for granted like chatting with strangers, answering the phone to someone, saying hello etc etc.  I think young ones now are so socially awkward and it's getting worse

Ever get a call from your Da? Short and sweet, which is most Da's I'd suggest.

No different.

They were strangers growing up lol... worked all week few pints on a Saturday made dinner Sunday, when he slowed down couldn't shut him up lol..

Again something I've noticed more through my other job, but you and trailer my be right probably happened but never noticed it as bad.

My own daughters I noticed that they had issues with talking to people who were not connected to friends or family, my eldest son had/has no such issues. Once they started working in part time jobs dealing with the public they are different completely
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tbrick18

There's definitely issues with the generation of the noughties around being able to communicate in person.
I was recently at a stag do for a younger family member. Didnt really know any of his friends but kind of had to go. Back when I was in my 20s and going to stag do's the craic was deadly. Everyone having the laugh, would have talked the leg off any woman stupid enough to let us and it was a ball.
Got added to the customary whatapp group pre-stag and the messages were a bit of craic so I was thinking this might be alright for a weekend away.
But my god, not a one of them can hold a conversation. All heads down on the phone. Sitting in the pub, lads texting other from the other side of a table.
I was honestly shocked at how poor the social skills were for this generation brought up with social media.
Went to a bar/club sort of place at night, everyone drinking away but nobody able to strike up a conversation with random strangers, apart from the few auld married men. lol.
So we took it upon ourselves to torture the life out of all the young boys.

Doesnt surprise me to hear that some people are nervous about making voice calls. It's that inability to directly converse with someone. Communication skills are probably worse than they ever were at a time when it's easier than ever to communicate.

Jeepers Creepers

My da doesn't even say goodbye, just hangs up lol. I never liked holding a conversation on the telephone other than 'right no problem see you then'. My ma used to shove the phone in your face...such & such is on from America.  Blind panic about what to say

Eamonnca1

I can hold a conversation the very best, especially in smaller groups. In bigger groups I find it a bit hard to get a word in. With my siblings and parents, when we're all together, it's almost impossible for me to get a word in, and when I do speak I just get interrupted and talked over half the time. Probably because I'm the youngest and they're not used to having me around since I only see them once a year.

Public speaking is something I can do easily because I do Toastmasters almost very week. When you "have the floor" and can't be interrupted there's nothing to it.

Face-to-face conversation is fine with me most of the time. Video calls where I can see people, no bother. Conference calls where you can't see everyone, again, no bother to me since it's like a public speaking situation. But 1 on 1 conversations on the phone? I can do them, but I just feel a bit uncomfortable with it.

(Damned if I know what the 'middle aged men' comment was about or where that came from)