Derry V Donegal Ulster final 2022

Started by shawshank, May 16, 2022, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: full moon on May 29, 2022, 08:59:56 PM
Quote from: straightred on May 29, 2022, 07:50:30 PM
Quote from: full moon on May 29, 2022, 06:44:07 PM
RTE coverage is an embarrassment so it's not surprise they were lambasting the game. They seem to only give a shit about Dublin hammering teams and Munster Hurling.

Needs a total overhaul in there of RTE pundits, commentary etc.

thought it was way over the top. It was a tight and at times ugly game but at least it was competitive. Give me that any day over a turkey shoot

Agree I thought yesterday was an embarrassment, and Galway Roscommon was hardly a classic either. I didn't even bother with the second half  of that one.

They always are determined to dig at Ulster football. Anything that isn't Dublin/Kerry walloping teams or Munster Hurling RTE they have issues with. Lucky we have BBCNI but it's gone now too after that game

Wasn't sean Cavanagh on RTÉ today? Anyhow it's great we have the BBC lol. Harte hardly could disguise his dislike of Derry , McConville called the game basketball (which is true to be fair ) and they needed Canavan to talk bit of sense

Oh and where was the gender balance

seafoid

Well done Derry hi. Best in Ulster. Surely better than D1.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ONeill

The Derry crowd created some scenes out there today. It was great to watch.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

People talking about murphy's age... he could never have tracked a boy like Rodgers. He's too big to cover that ground tbh. Tactically very astute by Gallagher to do that kind of match up. The counter was to plant murphy in ff and see what Rodgers was made of marking a targetman especially when he struggled so much with comer in the league.

Fear I thought that on Harte too but I am not sure how much canavan likes them either lol. It's well enough offset by niblock though.

seafoid

Quote from: general_lee on May 29, 2022, 07:42:08 PM
Brilliant from Derry and well deserved winners. Had an inkling they'd be fit for Donegal and probably should have saw the game out in normal time had the rules been applied correctly (black card x2). While the whole team put a massive shift a few men really stepped up to the plate, Glass, Loughlin and Rogers who was immense. Think Derry can give the AI a good rattle now and no one will fancy meeting them.
It's been a long time since a team came out of nowhere to win Sam.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bennydorano

Great to see Derry win. Thought it had more than a breakthrough whiff of Armagh in 1999. Probably one more star forward, a MFer (or middle 8 player) and a goalie short of being genuine AI contenders. I'm sure McFaul is regretting his decision atm.

The year's not over for Donegal but surely its the end of an era regardless, hard to see Bonner returning,  Donegal have always seemed a bit timid and one dimensional under his direction. Will Murphy go or maybe even become Manager or Player manager?

David McKeown

Fair play to Derry. A very deserved Ulster Championship coming through the harder part of the draw. Rode their luck a bit particularly with what I thought was a stone wall penalty at the end but no more so than most teams who win tournaments. Ironically that win may harm their long term prospects this season. Having achieved something like a first Ulster in 24 years it might be harder to pick themselves up again depending on how much they celebrate than it might have been for a potentially easier back door game.

I imagine Donegal will now meet the winner of Tyrone v Armagh in the second round 'draw'
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

marty34

Quote from: bennydorano on May 29, 2022, 09:58:18 PM
Great to see Derry win. Thought it had more than a breakthrough whiff of Armagh in 1999. Probably one more star forward, a MFer (or middle 8 player) and a goalie short of being genuine AI contenders. I'm sure McFaul is regretting his decision atm.

The year's not over for Donegal but surely its the end of an era regardless, hard to see Bonner returning,  Donegal have always seemed a bit timid and one dimensional under his direction. Will Murphy go or maybe even become Manager or Player manager?

Murphy needs to go to 14 and play the ball into him and get Mc Brearty winning any breaks. Would keep 2 defenders occupied back in their also.

imtommygunn

No harm to bonner as I have nothing against him but with the Donegal squad he has had he has really underachieved.

clarshack

Quote from: marty34 on May 29, 2022, 10:04:06 PM

Murphy needs to go to 14 and play the ball into him and get Mc Brearty winning any breaks. Would keep 2 defenders occupied back in their also.

Exactly this.

nrico2006

Quote from: charlieTully on May 29, 2022, 09:26:13 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 29, 2022, 07:48:33 PM
Quote from: knockitdown on May 29, 2022, 07:31:47 PM
Fair play to Derry. Wouldn't have seen that coming even on the back of their league performance. Is it only 3 years from they were in Div 4? There's hope yet for Down  :'(
Even when their senior team has been in the doldrums, Derry have been ticking along well and been competitive at minor & U20/21 levels - remember they were 2020 All-Ireland minor champions.
There's been no such undercurrent in Down OTOH.

Won ulster under 20s last year. Jesus its hard to like the nouveau riche. We will be back.

There was a lot of fortune in that win last year to be honest, having to only get by Cavan and Fermanagh and a severely handicapped Monaghan.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

clarshack

Quote from: ONeill on May 29, 2022, 09:42:13 PM
The Derry crowd created some scenes out there today. It was great to watch.

Tyrone had as many supporters on the pitch after the 2016 and 2017 finals in Clones. Wasn't bad for winning it regularly.

nrico2006

I think Derrys downfall will be the lack of any star forwards.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

andoireabu

Probably not great to watch on TV but it was brilliant to watch live. Where the TV focuses on the man holding the ball it doesn't show the off the ball effort that goes in. Thought derry played very well but need to tighten up on kickouts. Our own are a bit slow and obvious and they weren't switched on for Donegal's who got out too easy at times. Rogers is some athlete and Glass very composed. Would agree it was a penalty at the end but we will take our luck. Had forgotten what days in Clones were like but I'll be a long time forgetting this one. Looking forward to a good run now and to keep building.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Christmas Lights

Quote from: clarshack on May 29, 2022, 10:06:53 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 29, 2022, 10:04:06 PM

Exactly this.

Yeah,  agree,  just leave Murphy at 14, no point in asking him to be a box to box player anymore,  doesn't have the legs anymore but would still be a huge threat in the FF line