Gumshield / Mouth Guards

Started by Christmas Lights, January 21, 2014, 01:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Shin guards are unlikely to prevent a broken leg in football but gum shields can prevent dental injuries. Like MR2 I fail to see the issue, yes, current adult players will take time to get used to it but in a few months all players will have made that adjustment and the world will keep turning. Money may be the GAA's main motivation but if we can save money on dental injuries I don't see why we shouldn't. You'll still be able to play football and some day you might be glad you were wearing one.

smort

I agree, all players will just get on with it and wear one, but I just don't think they are a necessity whereas helmets in hurling are.

Canalman

Good rule alright to introduce them. Remember the same type of whinging when faceguards made mandatory in hurling. If it saves one player a serious dental injury it is well worth it.

The whinge for the sake of a whinge will blow over in a couple of weeks just like it did in the hurling when there was supposed to be an exodus of players from the game.

AZOffaly

I think I asked this before, but I'm not sure if I got the answer. Is there not an element of concussion minimisation/prevention with the gumshield. Acting as a sort of buffer to belts in the jaw, chin?

As regards people dying from getting a belt in the head, MR2, I'm sure there were a couple. I seem to remember a  former Dub dual player died I think from getting a belt of a hurl on the temple. I thought it was Mick Holden but I was raving there.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Canalman on January 22, 2014, 09:40:25 AM
Good rule alright to introduce them. Remember the same type of whinging when faceguards made mandatory in hurling. If it saves one player a serious dental injury it is well worth it.

The whinge for the sake of a whinge will blow over in a couple of weeks just like it did in the hurling when there was supposed to be an exodus of players from the game.
Its not like they are 'introducing them' gum shields have been about for years,anyone who wanted to wear one has always had the option, its the fact everyone is now being FORCED to wear one i have the issue with.
Obviously we will have to get on with it and wear one, there is now no choice, but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree with it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 22, 2014, 09:40:33 AM
I think I asked this before, but I'm not sure if I got the answer. Is there not an element of concussion minimisation/prevention with the gumshield. Acting as a sort of buffer to belts in the jaw, chin?

As regards people dying from getting a belt in the head, MR2, I'm sure there were a couple. Mick Holden I think, the former Dub dual player died I think from getting a belt of a hurl on the temple.

As do footballers, Leitrim inter county footballer Phillip McGuinness after a blow to the head. But if the GAA can limit injuries at least then we'll be grand.

It's very simple, don't wear one and don't play, soccer lads have to wear shin pads, if you turn up at a game without them you can't play
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

So a 10 year old turns up for a big blitz but has lost his gumshield (kids ...you know what theyre like). His mentors let him play...its all about enjoyment right? A mentor from the other team notices he isnt wearing one and draws it to the attention of he officials that he shouldn't be playing and gets the young lad pulled to the sideline.

Which mentor do you side with?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

blewuporstuffed

Serious question lads, how common are these dental injuries?
I have been playing senior club football for about 16 years and can only think of one incident were a player suffers a broken tooth in all that time.
I have coached underage for quite a few years and have never seen a child suffer any sort of injury like that.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Stall the Bailer

Have any of ye giving out about mouthguards ever wore one or ever had a mouth injury?

They will help to prevent injury (meaning you won't be missing games unneccessary).
If you ever get a tooth knocked out you are talking thousands€/£ to get an implant.

Zulu

Quote from: theskull1 on January 22, 2014, 10:46:23 AM
So a 10 year old turns up for a big blitz but has lost his gumshield (kids ...you know what theyre like). His mentors let him play...its all about enjoyment right? A mentor from the other team notices he isnt wearing one and draws it to the attention of he officials that he shouldn't be playing and gets the young lad pulled to the sideline.

If they turned up for a hurling blitz without a helmet would you let them play? For kids, a club could buy a few cheap ones to give to kids who have forgotten them. Anyway they've been compulsory for kids for a year now and I haven't heard of any issues.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on January 22, 2014, 10:46:23 AM

Same thing Skull, kids turns up with no helmet he can't play. Mentors/parents/players are all responsible for this, it's like going to a hurling match and forgeting stick/boots. It's crap on the kid but he'll not forget it again. I'd say most parents are for protecting their kids so they'll have no problem in ensuring their kids have the gumshield.

Was there a time years ago that juveniles had gumshields? I remember one or two times wearing one
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

smort

When considering gumshields for underage players, how many will they need during their playing careers if they play right up to adult level? I'm sure their mouths/teeth are continuing to grow and develop from 10 right up til 18/19. They would need a new gumshield every couple of years.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: smort on January 22, 2014, 11:14:10 AM
When considering gumshields for underage players, how many will they need during their playing careers if they play right up to adult level? I'm sure their mouths/teeth are continuing to grow and develop from 10 right up til 18/19. They would need a new gumshield every couple of years.

You should train as a dentist now, be a fair bit of money in it with the gumshields!!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

smort

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 22, 2014, 11:15:39 AM
Quote from: smort on January 22, 2014, 11:14:10 AM

You should train as a dentist now, be a fair bit of money in it with the gumshields!!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Unfortunately it is a bit late for that. And i think there was plenty of money in dentistry before this

Zulu

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 22, 2014, 11:03:23 AM
Serious question lads, how common are these dental injuries?
I have been playing senior club football for about 16 years and can only think of one incident were a player suffers a broken tooth in all that time.
I have coached underage for quite a few years and have never seen a child suffer any sort of injury like that.

I had a child lose a nice chunk of a front tooth after he clashed with the head of another kid and this was probably the fourth or fifth game he ever played. I think this is a fairly small change for people and will prevent dental injuries, some serious, over the years.