Rugby World Cup 2011

Started by Dinny Breen, August 04, 2011, 11:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

If referees applied the letter if the law in any contact sport, the game would be ruined. Every collision in rugby would result in a penalty one way or the other.

In soccer, every tackle would be a free kick.

In football, every 5th step would be a free kick, and every off the ball nudge would be a booking.

Don't preach the exactness of rules unless you're going to be consistent in that stance on every occasion going forward.

Referees need more sense than Rolland showed today. Nobody was hurt and nobody was in danger of getting hurt.

sammymaguire

I've changed my mind. I reckon the turning of the French player in mid air meant it was weeckleesly dangerous by the Welsh captain and the referee made the right decision
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

deiseach

It also needs to be noted that the instant reaction of the crowd was a universal 'oooohhh'. They knew in real time that something bad had happened.

Edit: it also needs noting that Hook thought it was the right decision, therefore it must have been the wrong one. D'oh!

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: thewobbler on October 15, 2011, 01:31:10 PM
If referees applied the letter if the law in any contact sport, the game would be ruined. Every collision in rugby would result in a penalty one way or the other.

In football, every 5th step would be a free kick, and every off the ball nudge would be a booking.

Don't preach the exactness of rules unless you're going to be consistent in that stance on every occasion going forward.

Referees need more sense than Rolland showed today. Nobody was hurt and nobody was in danger of getting hurt.

Of course the rules should be applied consistently, and maybe every fifth step in football should be a free - we wouldn't be at the point now where players get away with far too many far too regularly.

Nobody was hurt, but that was only through luck. As for nobody being in danger of being hurt - nonsense. When Warburton lifted, turned and then dropped Clerc he was clearly creating a situation in which Clerc was in real danger of being hurt - and being hurt very badly.

muppet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cps2a0i1Klw

Didn't see the game but saw the tackle on the link above.

Whatever about the ref the Welsh should be very disappointed with their Captain. The letter of the law says red and while I would agree that the ref could have shown leniency, Warbarton was an absolute idiot for making him decide.
MWWSI 2017

5 Sams

Quote from: muppet on October 15, 2011, 02:41:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cps2a0i1Klw

Didn't see the game but saw the tackle on the link above.

Whatever about the ref the Welsh should be very disappointed with their Captain. The letter of the law says red and while I would agree that the ref could have shown leniency, Warbarton was an absolute idiot for making him decide.

I've seen Mick Lyons do worse!! ;)
The Aristocrat Years

pullhard

He appeared to just let him go mid way during the tackle. Could have broken the fellas neck, dangerous play, red card. Amazed there is any debate

INDIANA

Quote from: thewobbler on October 15, 2011, 01:31:10 PM

Nonsense of the highest order. An extra step at GAA is now the equivalent of a potential broken neck from a spear tackle.

Dinny Breen

I can understand why people wanted to see a yellow card and I don't think much would have been said in the media if it was a yellow but Warburton would have been cited and banned post game . In that case he comes back on after 10 mins and leads Wales to victory yet it would be Wales opponents in the final who would have got the advantage not France who were sinned against. It was the right decision from Rolland.

QuoteIn this context I must have regard to IRB Memorandum, subject Dangerous Tackles which was issued to Referees, Citing Commissioners, Judicial Officers and Non-Legal Judicial Committee Members on 8 June 2009 and circulated to Member Unions on 10 June 2009 (the "June 2009 Memorandum'). It supplements IRB Law Ruling No5 of 2005 and was issued by Paddy O'Brien, IRB Referee Manager and Tim Gresson, IRB Judicial Panel Chairman. It summaries three "possible

scenarios when a tackler horizontally lifts a player off the ground". The three scenarios, in descending order of gravity are:
a. "The player is lifted and then forced or 'speared" into the ground. A red card should be issued for this type of tackle"
b. The lifted player is dropped to the ground from a height with no regard to the player's safety. A red card should be issued for this type of tackle.
c. For all other types of dangerous lifting tackle it may be considered a penalty or yellow card is sufficient."
#newbridgeornowhere

Celt_Man

Jaysus that was some tight finish to the game but Stephen Jones reminded me of Brock James for Clemont against Leinster in the HE Quarter final in the RDS from a couple of years ago...  Completely bottled it and didn't want to take the kick on at all...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

From the Bunker

Would lose no tears for Wales today! They beat use fair and square last weekend. But their Cheating try in the six nations cost us a triple crown!

The tackle was a spear tackle, would it have been fair on France if he had not been sent off, just for the sake of not 'ruining' the game?

13aside

just watched sky news and their  correspondent thought it 'bizarre 'that Irish world cup rugby referee Alain Rolland had a French father-what??

johnneycool

The reaction of the crowd and the French players tells a tale. As someone said the whole crowd went "oh" in unison and the french team went mad.

All the same Rolland had some set of balls to show the red. He could have taken the easier option and give him 10 in the bin.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on October 15, 2011, 11:42:08 AM
http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazone/pressrelease/newsid=2040903.html

QuoteCouncil Amends Spear Tackle Law

The IRB Council has reinforced its zero-tolerance stance towards all dangerous tackles by approving an amendment to the Law relating to the spear tackle.

An amendment to Law 10.4(j) has been approved to recognise the defensive actions of the tackled player when the arms are outstretched to break a fall and to further ensure the consistency of application of the appropriate sanction for offending players.

The amended Law 10.4(j) will now read: Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.

The amended Law will operate globally from December 1, 2010.

Warburton's tackle is exactly what has been highlighted to constitute a 'spear tackle' the spear tackle warrants an automatic red. There is no gray area in this case.

The incident is unfortunate and was the reason Wales got beat. I actually believe they would have won comfortably had Warburton been on the pitch. However the ref cannot be blamed for making the correct call and the blame in this case lies solely at Warburtons door!

Hard luck Wales it was a valiant effort but it wasn't meant to be.
+1.

The tail end of the memorandum also states that the ref should take into account the intention of the offending players and must follow the letter of the law. The ref did his job despite claims to the contrary.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 15, 2011, 10:04:03 AM
QuoteThe IRB Council has reinforced its zero-tolerance stance towards all dangerous tackles by approving an amendment to the Law relating to the spear tackle.

An amendment to Law 10.4 (j) has been approved to recognise the defensive actions of the tackled player when the arms are outstretched to break a fall and to further ensure the consistency of application of the appropriate sanction for offending players.

The amended Law 10.4 (j) will now read:
Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.

There is no arguement, it's not about opinion or entertainment. The ref had no choice, he can't think about the fans only the letter of the law, a brave decision but the right one.
how often do you see fellas in international rugby (or even club rugby) sent off for this. This is the first time I have seen it (only times were obviously malicious ones).
Sure there have been several of these in this world cup alone that have resulted on some yellow cards, some just penalties and some ignored completely.
If it is a rule (which is it) then lets have it enforced all the time- I dont know if rolland always enforces it either.

think this was a huge mistake. ITV pundits going mad at half time and rightly so.
Wales threw it away. Losing their places and lack of game time has knocked Hook and Jones confidence and match fitness.
both used to be supremely accurate.