Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

illdecide

I know Neil Lennon personally, he played for our club team (clan na gael) and he also played for Armagh minors. He was a Gael back then before he choose soccer (correct decision) but when you know someone like that and have to sit back and read some of the dung people write about the man it's maddening and I'd love to write a whole lot more here only I'd be banned. Yes he's no angel and he's ruffled a few feathers but he's done no worse than managers down south have done as pointed out by another poster.

He's an Irish Catholic from Lurgan (town in it's self is full off bitter bastids) and thats why he's getting the abuse. I spoke with a Rangers fan this morning from Glasgow (season ticket holder at Ibrox) and he told me that we only think it's bad in n Ireland, that in Scotland it's actually worse and that there are many Rangers fans out there who actually want to see him murdered and that he wouldn't be surprised if he was found dead one day soon...that is scary shit.

So to all you lads out there who think he deserves the abuse i say...go f**k yourselves no i mean have a good look at yourselves in the mirror
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Banana Man

Quote from: illdecide on May 12, 2011, 02:29:38 PM
I know Neil Lennon personally, he played for our club team (clan na gael) and he also played for Armagh minors. He was a Gael back then before he choose soccer (correct decision) but when you know someone like that and have to sit back and read some of the dung people write about the man it's maddening and I'd love to write a whole lot more here only I'd be banned. Yes he's no angel and he's ruffled a few feathers but he's done no worse than managers down south have done as pointed out by another poster.

He's an Irish Catholic from Lurgan (town in it's self is full off bitter bastids) and thats why he's getting the abuse. I spoke with a Rangers fan this morning from Glasgow (season ticket holder at Ibrox) and he told me that we only think it's bad in n Ireland, that in Scotland it's actually worse and that there are many Rangers fans out there who actually want to see him murdered and that he wouldn't be surprised if he was found dead one day soon...that is scary shit.

So to all you lads out there who think he deserves the abuse i say...go f**k yourselves no i mean have a good look at yourselves in the mirror

+1

imtommygunn

who actually want to see him murdered

That is the scariest thing about this whole scenario - some madman could end up doing something like that. It could have happened last night with a knife or whatever. It is a very bad situation and to be honest for his own safety I think he is best off out of it.

dubai2000

lads

anyone got contact for CSC - i am looking transport for sundays game

cheers for the help in advance

clarshack

well said!

Milltown Row2

Martin O'Neill was from Derry (Kilrea?) full of bitter bastids (on both sides off course ;)) It's strange that he never got the same abuse. No one should be getting the abuse he has got since taking over as manager and from the time he stopped playing for Norn Iron. Will this happen to all mangers from Irish decent who take over the Celtic jobs in the future?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

SambaSaffron

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 12, 2011, 06:00:32 PM

Martin O'Neill was from Derry (Kilrea?) full of bitter bastids (on both sides off course ;)) It's strange that he never got the same abuse. No one should be getting the abuse he has got since taking over as manager and from the time he stopped playing for Norn Iron. Will this happen to all mangers from Irish decent who take over the Celtic jobs in the future?
MON got a fair bit of abuse. Not in the same league as Lennon, but still more than managers of 'normal' clubs ever had to put up with.

It's true that some Rangers fans genuinely want to see him killed. Scotland is now worse than the 6 for sectarianism.

saffron sam2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 12, 2011, 04:39:51 PM
who actually want to see him murdered

That is the scariest thing about this whole scenario - some madman could end up doing something like that. It could have happened last night with a knife or whatever. It is a very bad situation and to be honest for his own safety I think he is best off out of it.

All well and good tommy, but

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 09, 2011, 10:38:48 PM
There is just something about Lennon for me though...

He is always attracting trouble. It can't always be the other persons fault.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

saffron sam2

Talk us through Martin O'Neill's Celtic playing career.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: rossie mad on May 12, 2011, 01:14:39 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 12, 2011, 12:27:12 PM
I think there are two separate issues here and they shouldn't be morphed into one. Some here are saying that Lennon's behaviour is why he is getting the abuse he is. That's not right. That's almost absolving the guilt of the attackers. They need to be pursued swiftly and with the full rigour of the law. It is an awful blight on the game in Scotland.

But I think we can talk about Lennon's behaviour too. People are comparing him to O'Neill, Moyes, Ferguson et al. I don't remember any of them engaging bitterly with an opposition player, even if it was someone as hateful as Diouf. And I certainly don't recall any of them going nose to nose with someone from the opposition management like Lennon did with McCoist. He's the most volatile manager I've ever seen in Scotland or England, including Neil Warnock. It doesn't for one second give anyone the right to do what they are doing and these people should be chased from football grounds for good. But it is not contradictory to say that Lennon is aware of the 'type' of supporters in Scottish football and while to say that any of these threats to him are his fault would be wrong, better behaviour from his on the sideline would probably help things. Ridding these thugs from the stands is not going to happen overnight. Hopefully the Scottish FA and the police will start to act a lot more swiftly than they have been. In the mean time Neil Lennon does need to ease up a little himself as well.

So wengers refusal to shake daglishs hand a few weeks ago and the views exchanged arent any different?
What about pulis and Hughes earlier in the season?
Wengers oubursts at players who injure his players.
Gary Nevilles behaviour in manchester derbys as well as against liverpool.
There are many more examples where behaviour by mangers/players south of the border can be classed as intimadation/stupidity/bad behaviour or whatever people want to class it as.
However i dont hear the same resentment towards some of the above.

What about Martin O Neill?
Everyone remembers his running up and down a touchline jumping like a looney everytime celtic scored whether it be parkhead,easter road,ibrox or pittodrie.
Yet this was seen as accepatable.
If lennon did the same he would condemened for it and said to be spreading hatred.

The examples you give - only Pulis and Hughes are comparable. But that was only one incident and not between such bitter rivals where such behaviour is hardly well advised. Gary Neville's cheering in front of the Liverpool supporters was severely criticised, arguably more so than Lennon's interaction with Diouf. Lennon has been involved in several incidents, more than anyone else at at that level of football. And as for O'Neill celebrating, that hardly helped but wouldn't engender trouble in the same way as nearly coming to blows with opposition management and players.

Lennon's passion is seen as a quality by many people. It is frightening that others would see it as an opportunity to try to kill him. It is frightening. Of course these people are the chief problem and ought to caught and punished appropriately. But the sad reality of modern society is that these people exist and people in such influential and powerful positions as Neil Lennon need to be aware of that fact. I wish I could say I was shocked and surprised when I heard he had been sent a suspect device, threatened with murder and attacked by a supporter. But I wasn't. I was angered, saddened, yes. But not surprised.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Milltown Row2

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 12, 2011, 09:56:21 PM

Sam I'll PM my address if you want to stalk me properly, I'm struggling to find where I said MON played for Celtic, but you go on ahead ya knob ;D ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

saffron sam2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 12, 2011, 11:20:00 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 12, 2011, 09:56:21 PM

Sam I'll PM my address if you want to stalk me properly, I'm struggling to find where I said MON played for Celtic, but you go on ahead ya knob ;D ;D

Okay, I'll make my point nice and simple for you. You are comparing apples with oranges. Neil Lennon's problems started when he joined Celtic as a player. There was the infamous booing at Windsor Park by, I'm told, a faction, almost all standing in a group on the Kop, who were 90% Linfield/Rangers fans who turned up especially for this game (It was NL's first at home after joining Celtic). There was the death threat. Now, it is not unfair to assume that had O'Neill joined Celtic as a player that he would have suffered a similar fate, both at Windsor and in Scotland. Had he then gone on to manage Celtic almost directly after his playing career ended, he too would likely have got the Lennon treatment. You simply cannot compare O'Neill's and Lennon's treatment as Celtic managers.

Can I assume you are another who thinks Lennon is somehow responsible for the reprehensible actions of others?

As for the other nonsense, no need to PM your address - I already have it. No stalking either, just don't want anyone to read your nonsense and think that it represents the orthodoxy of the gaaboard.

Wally.

rossie mad

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 12, 2011, 10:20:26 PM
I think there are two separate issues here and they shouldn't be morphed into one. Some here are saying that Lennon's behaviour is why he is getting the abuse he is. That's not right. That's almost absolving the guilt of the attackers. They need to be pursued swiftly and with the full rigour of the law. It is an awful blight on the game in Scotland.

But I think we can talk about Lennon's behaviour too. People are comparing him to O'Neill, Moyes, Ferguson et al. I don't remember any of them engaging bitterly with an opposition player, even if it was someone as hateful as Diouf. And I certainly don't recall any of them going nose to nose with someone from the opposition management like Lennon did with McCoist. He's the most volatile manager I've ever seen in Scotland or England, including Neil Warnock. It doesn't for one second give anyone the right to do what they are doing and these people should be chased from football grounds for good. But it is not contradictory to say that Lennon is aware of the 'type' of supporters in Scottish football and while to say that any of these threats to him are his fault would be wrong, better behaviour from his on the sideline would probably help things. Ridding these thugs from the stands is not going to happen overnight. Hopefully the Scottish FA and the police will start to act a lot more swiftly than they have been. In the mean time Neil Lennon does need to ease up a little himself as well.

So wengers refusal to shake daglishs hand a few weeks ago and the views exchanged arent any different?
There are many more examples where behaviour by mangers/players south of the border can be classed as intimadation/stupidity/bad behaviour or whatever people want to class it as.

Everyone remembers his running up and down a touchline jumping like a looney everytime celtic scored whether it be parkhead,easter road,ibrox or pittodrie.
If lennon did the same he would condemened for it and said to be spreading hatred.

The examples you give - only Pulis and Hughes are comparable. But that was only one incident and not between such bitter rivals where such behaviour is hardly well advised. Gary Neville's cheering in front of the Liverpool supporters was severely criticised, arguably more so than Lennon's interaction with Diouf. Lennon has been involved in several incidents, more than anyone else at at that level of football. And as for O'Neill celebrating, that hardly helped but wouldn't engender trouble in the same way as nearly coming to blows with opposition management and players.

Lennon's passion is seen as a quality by many people. It is frightening that others would see it as an opportunity to try to kill him. It is frightening. Of course these people are the chief problem and ought to caught and punished appropriately. But the sad reality of modern society is that these people exist and people in such influential and powerful positions as Neil Lennon need to be aware of that fact. I wish I could say I was shocked and surprised when I heard he had been sent a suspect device, threatened with murder and attacked by a supporter. But I wasn't. I was angered, saddened, yes. But not surprised.

I think i can see where your coming from there.
However the attitude towards lennon by some people on here seems to suggest he deserves it.
In other words there are people on here who in a roundabout way seem to be justifying what is happeneing to him.
If people say that he puts in for alot of this or its his own fault then in my eyes these people who say this are justifying what is happening to him.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 12, 2011, 10:20:26 PM

i'd expect you are not surprised because you obv realise the kind of knuckle dragger anti Irish/catholic/celtic ethos that exists in scotland.

i'd say that if this happened in england, with Lennon/ferguson/wenger/pullis/holloway etc as the manager involved- you woul dbe astonished!

my point is, that is isnt Lennon that is the factor, its the location and the sectarian fans (I mean the anti Irish/catholic/celtic element - the other fans of Aberdeen, dundee etc as well as the Celtic support are nothing like the crowd that are causing the hassle).

gallsman

While clearly a problem in both Scotland in general and Glasgow in particular, just how strong is sectarianism on a day to day basis when you take footballing rivalry out of the equation?