?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

JohnDenver

Quote from: take_yer_points on February 17, 2010, 12:19:11 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 17, 2010, 12:12:18 PM
Steady on, Mowbray's Celtic have only played Rangers twice and manged to lose one and humiliate Rangers in the second one yet still only draw the game.

The only real humiliation Celtic suffered against Rangers in Strachan's time was the very first time he met them in 2005 and at the start of last season, through errors more than anything else.

There was also the two back to back victories over Rangers in the must win games in the Spring of 2008 and last year's New Year's win at Ibrox and the CIS Cup Final. Strachan more tha held his own against Rangers, during the reign of Mc Leish, Le Guen and Smith. Funny the amount of players willing to joi him at Middlesbro if there was such dissention in the dressing room

I don't think Mowbray could win the SPL with the current Man Utd squad at his disposal. He is tactically naive, unable to motivate and inspire and is thoroughly lightweight in terms of football management overall. As I've said before he is ideally suited to the likes of WBA, Hibs etc but way out of his depth wth a big club with huge expectations

I don't expect Celtic to beat Dundee Utd this Saturday or Rangers the following week and I fear we'll leave Ibrox with our tails between our legs amid the Huns title winning celebrations.

However all this would be worth enduring if its brings the curtain down on the reign of Celtic's worst manager since Barnes.

How does his record measure up to Barnes' record? Is he better or worse thus far?

Think i read in the paper that his average SPL points is worse than Barnes record at present.  Take out of that what you want but id still be in favour of giving him a fair crack at the whip next season, no excuses after that.

T Fearon

We can't afford to wait. This whole era should have been another nine in a row opportunity and Celtic's financial superiority over Rangers utilised to maximum effect as it was when the roles were reversed, from 1988 to 1997 at Ibrox.

Persisting with a guy who is plainly not up to the task is sheer stupidity. He already has had longer then Le Guen got at Ibrox, and Le Guen was certainly no worse than Mowbray

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on February 17, 2010, 12:12:18 PM
Steady on, Mowbray's Celtic have only played Rangers twice and manged to lose one and humiliate Rangers in the second one yet still only draw the game.
The only real humiliation Celtic suffered against Rangers in Strachan's time was the very first time he met them in 2005 and at the start of last season, through errors more than anything else.
There was also the two back to back victories over Rangers in the must win games in the Spring of 2008 and last year's New Year's win at Ibrox and the CIS Cup Final. Strachan more tha held his own against Rangers, during the reign of Mc Leish, Le Guen and Smith. Funny the amount of players willing to joi him at Middlesbro if there was such dissention in the dressing room
I don't think Mowbray could win the SPL with the current Man Utd squad at his disposal. He is tactically naive, unable to motivate and inspire and is thoroughly lightweight in terms of football management overall. As I've said before he is ideally suited to the likes of WBA, Hibs etc but way out of his depth wth a big club with huge expectations
I don't expect Celtic to beat Dundee Utd this Saturday or Rangers the following week and I fear we'll leave Ibrox with our tails between our legs amid the Huns title winning celebrations.
However all this would be worth enduring if its brings the curtain down on the reign of Celtic's worst manager since Barnes.
we obv have diff opinions on this.
the pets wanted to join strachan at boro - apart from robson, they are no loss.
strachan was tactically naive throughout his reign at Celtic. most games v rangers, artmedia bratislavia, shakthar, milan when the game was there for a draw or win etc.
strachan profited when rangers were in managerial turmoil, mcleish had been frazzled by MON, leguen never got going and smith in his first year had not settled (a bit like mowbray now).
Smith since then fecked strachan every other time.

maybe mowbray will be as bad as barnes, right now hes as bad as strachan. If he gets worse then he should be sacked. However strachan lasted the course so mogga should be given the same flexibility that strachan was very generously afforded (should have been sacked after the first week when beaten 5-2 by artmedia and drew 4-4 with a terrible mtherwell side)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on February 17, 2010, 12:17:33 PM
JoshThompson. He might well go on to be a good player but there is no way he is currently as good as McManus. Fact is when he signed it wasnt envisaged he would play in the first team for some time. Nor was his rapid promotion down to him excelling particularly in the under 19 games but rather to Mowbray being down to the bare bones.

Should be noted too that it wasnt really a case of Craig Brown inheriting Mark McGhee's players at Motherwell, McGhee left because a number of his men were moving on. Only 3 players in the Motherwell team from the weekend were signed by McGhee. A lot of that team were signed by Jim Gannon who did well initially but proved to be a terrible man manager with an unhappy dressing room. Brown put the ship back on course.
LDA - a lot of Celtic fans like mcmanus, but Josh Thompson (pressed into action bec of inj to others) is as good right now as the one sided and error prone mcmanus. Never a centre half and I have said that from the first time I saw him.

...motherwell team under Gannon were decent until his personality clash fecked them up - so it just took a better personality to put that right. the structures were there from McGhees tenure. OK Gannon signed a lot of players in but some of mcghees still remain.

strachan had a similar effect on all Celtics players (esp McGeady) which I blame mowbray for not acting sooner to rid the dressing room of some bad eggs (though seemingly gone now)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on February 17, 2010, 12:39:04 PM
We can't afford to wait. This whole era should have been another nine in a row opportunity and Celtic's financial superiority over Rangers utilised to maximum effect as it was when the roles were reversed, from 1988 to 1997 at Ibrox.

Persisting with a guy who is plainly not up to the task is sheer stupidity. He already has had longer then Le Guen got at Ibrox, and Le Guen was certainly no worse than Mowbray
the financial superiority had not positive effect for Celtic last season did it ??
at least compare like with like !!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Lads you are trying to compare apples with oranges: Mowbray-Barnes-WGS-MON. Each man had different circumstances and conditions which would have had major effects on his teams performances.

I mean WGS was only the 3rd ever Celtic manager to win 3 in  a row, does anyone on the face of this planet even think that he could tie Jock Steins boots, let alone be compared to him?!!
Tbc....

tintin25

Lads, heading over to watch the hoops this wkend for the first time.  Planning on heading out on the fri/sat night.  Anywhere you would recommend? Good drinking spots before the game? Cheers

lynchbhoy

Quote from: tintin25 on February 17, 2010, 01:52:36 PM

Lads, heading over to watch the hoops this wkend for the first time.  Planning on heading out on the fri/sat night.  Anywhere you would recommend? Good drinking spots before the game? Cheers
for aCeltic night nout- anywhere in the gallowgate/barrowlands area - Bairds bar being a must.

However if its a night out with decent bars and chasing girls, maybe the bars around the merchant city area (near glasgow cross) were always a bit better.
I'd say more upmarket which sounds 'posh' but the lower levels of some bars in glasgow starts from way down the food chain, so youd want a better area/better class of pub if you are to enjoy yourseves.
West end of glasgow is also posher and full of decent bars and students/yuppies/young professionals
or you could try the celtic members bar past Celtic park out London rd. A celtic spot, cheap drink and used tohave a pool table. No weemin ther though.
You just have to sign in and 'become' a member on the spot.

Hate to say it but so many of the Glasgow bars and Celtic bars are rough spots.
Also avoid the louden tavern !
:D

T Fearon

Bairds surely must be as rough as they come, although it is a great Celtic bar. Once read a review when a wag from the North of Ireland (presumably a Rangers fan) advised that it is better to take your drink and move outside to the back of the building as he reckoned "the smell is better as is the clientele" (The clientele presumably those inebriated answering a call of nature) :D

On a lighter note, I have amassed sufficient reward points on my Celtic Mastercard to allow me to attend a special lunch with the Manager and Celtic icons, and have booked this this morning (date will be in either March or April). Just hope Mowbray isn't in charge of the catering that day! ;D

tintin25

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 17, 2010, 02:25:04 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on February 17, 2010, 01:52:36 PM

for aCeltic night nout- anywhere in the gallowgate/barrowlands area - Bairds bar being a must.

However if its a night out with decent bars and chasing girls, maybe the bars around the merchant city area (near glasgow cross) were always a bit better.
I'd say more upmarket which sounds 'posh' but the lower levels of some bars in glasgow starts from way down the food chain, so youd want a better area/better class of pub if you are to enjoy yourseves.
West end of glasgow is also posher and full of decent bars and students/yuppies/young professionals
or you could try the celtic members bar past Celtic park out London rd. A celtic spot, cheap drink and used tohave a pool table. No weemin ther though.
You just have to sign in and 'become' a member on the spot.

Hate to say it but so many of the Glasgow bars and Celtic bars are rough spots.
Also avoid the louden tavern !

Cheers!

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 17, 2010, 09:33:24 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on February 16, 2010, 10:42:16 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 16, 2010, 09:58:30 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on February 16, 2010, 09:46:37 PM
'Celtic have stopped going downhill when strachan left them.'

What's the weather like on your planet?
think everyone knows you know nothing about sports let alone celtic

I see your team were losing 2-0 at ht tonight...
also saw their rivals cliftonville were drawing too
Your team won by a goal and 3 points at the weekend, didn't they? There's a huge difference between gaelic football and 'soccer'. One day you'll realise that.  ;)
:D realise more than you know - some people reckoned I was a better soccer player than at Gaelic football * ! Having captained two school teams as a kid in England I suppose I wasnt too bad at it !Just preferred gaelic football because I thought it was the best game to play out of all of soccer, rugby, football etc !!

hard luck wee lad !

* though maybe I was just rubbish at football !
John Hartson played the game at a slightly higher level than you. I'll side with him on this issue, if it's all the same with you kid.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on February 17, 2010, 07:04:47 PM
John Hartson played the game at a slightly higher level than you. I'll side with him on this issue, if it's all the same with you kid.
when John Hartson starts to criticise me then I'll address him and any comments -
my comments were in direct response to your purile remarks attempting to say that I knew nothing about soccer only GAA
so you've got it wrong again wee chap - is it half term break already or something ?
yer some laugh - cant believe a single person could know so little about so many things !!

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 17, 2010, 09:02:56 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on February 17, 2010, 07:04:47 PM
when John Hartson starts to criticise me then I'll address him and any comments -
my comments were in direct response to your purile remarks attempting to say that I knew nothing about soccer only GAA
so you've got it wrong again wee chap - is it half term break already or something ?
yer some laugh - cant believe a single person could know so little about so many things !!
Hartson's article contradicts everything you've said on this topic. Hardly surprising, given that your knowledge of 'soccer' seems to begin and end with a few matches at schoolboy level! Keep her lit, kid - you're cracking entertainment if nothing else!  :D

rossie mad

If you read hartsons article probably you might actually realise that most of what he said is actually what the mowbrary camp is saying on here you pleb.

Just because you think the two lines you might agree with sums up the whole article just about confirms your lack of intelligence.

Caldwell and mcmanus were in the squad up to january and most of the results he included were pre january so not only does he contradict himself the fact that caldwell and mcmanus were at the club for 85% of the season so far doesnt make much sense in what he says.

But i wouldnt expect a simpleton like you to understand that.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: rossie mad on February 17, 2010, 10:09:29 PM

If you read hartsons article probably you might actually realise that most of what he said is actually what the mowbrary camp is saying on here you pleb.

Just because you think the two lines you might agree with sums up the whole article just about confirms your lack of intelligence.

Caldwell and mcmanus were in the squad up to january and most of the results he included were pre january so not only does he contradict himself the fact that caldwell and mcmanus were at the club for 85% of the season so far doesnt make much sense in what he says.

But i wouldnt expect a simpleton like you to understand that.
no doubt our uninformed 'friend' will retort with a personal attack on you now since you have also pointed out the fatal flaws in his 'argument' !  :D

I think many on this thread indicated a long time ago that this little chappies opinions were 'interesting' at best and otherwise way off the mark ! - so any insults from him(her?) I wouldnt be too worried about ! ;)