?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on February 12, 2010, 10:05:37 AM
It was £4m for Scott Brown actually and he help deliver a league title. Also Roy Keane was a dud signed against Strachan's wishes for the purpose of signing merchandise.

Was Martin O'Neill found out in the last match of the 2004/05 season?

Managers tend to  want "their own teams" for egotistical reasons. In my opinion Mowbray has moved a lot of players on who have experience of winning Scottish League titles and there is no guarantee or evidence that his replacements are any better.

Also as I've said before, if Strachan had had the luxury of bringing in Robbie Keane this time last year, he would have won a fourth title in a row.
thats borderline disgraceful tony.
Do you not recall that MON was distracted the entire season and why ?
A hint - wife having been diagnosed with cancer ....

T Fearon

I'm just applying the logic that decrees that Strachan was found out late last season, thats all. His personal circumstances didn't enter my head.

No disrespect at all, but I know better than most the pressures of fulfilling work commitments, to an acceptable standard, while dealing with a close relative actually dying from cancer. If I remember correctly, it didn't seem to unduly affect O'Neill a week or two later in that season's Scottish Cup Final.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on February 12, 2010, 10:52:45 AM
I'm just applying the logic that decrees that Strachan was found out late last season, thats all. His personal circumstances didn't enter my head.
No disrespect at all, but I know better than most the pressures of fulfilling work commitments, to an acceptable standard, while dealing with a close relative actually dying from cancer. If I remember correctly, it didn't seem to unduly affect O'Neill a week or two later in that season's Scottish Cup Final.
tony, a one off game hardly constitutes the requirement for long term concentration- the opposite in fact.
You know the situation MON was in more than most, so your argument against him  as above is silly in prolonging it.
Imo strachan was found out on a regular basis throughout his tenue are Celtic manager. Various games v rangers, artmedia bratislavia, clyde in scottish cup and others where his ego/bad man management/purite inept tactics etc caused Celtic to lose.

As rangers this past number of years (since the middle of MON's reign) have been virtually penniless, the leagues have been Celtics to lose.
A succession of bad rangers managers, feck all cash and off field troubles meant they have been the worst team there in living memory. Fair play to walter smith who def gets his players like boyd,davis, and any defender he seems to pick/buy to play out of their skin while in reality they are average at best !
Strachan couldnt do that, mowbray has yet to do so.
but dont tell us that strachan was good when he wasnt. I supported him when he was there but am not  sorry to see him go - and its not that he wasnt a celtic man - thats a load of pants - wim jansen wasnt a celtic man or Dr Jo and I supported them too. MON's first two seasons was not silky skilled soccer, but I supported him. Strachans was all out attack and mindless defending like a amateur or underage team - but I supported it.
Mowbray isnt Hiddink or mourinho - whould I would like to see manage Celtic, but thats all Celtic can afford and he's doing ok for now. Thats all we can ask for.

T Fearon

agreed. But there seems to be a fair few who think M.ON (remember Scottish Cup defeats to Inverness?) was absolutely brilliant, Mowbray is absolutely brilliant (with no evidence whatsover), but Strachan was absolutely disastrous.

I have been operating with a little tongue in cheek this past few weeks, applying to Mowbray the same criteria that was applied by so many to Strachan (ie criticising the guy for merely existing!)

Regardless of the strength or otherwise of the opposition, Strachan was the first manager to win three titles in a row since Big Jock and gave plenty of memorable European Evenings against the likes of Man Ure and AC Milan etc.

At the end of the day a manager is judged on his trophy haul and on that socre, as Billy Mc Neill said at a dinner I attended last year, Strachan can not be faulted.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on February 12, 2010, 11:36:34 AM
agreed. But there seems to be a fair few who think M.ON (remember Scottish Cup defeats to Inverness?) was absolutely brilliant, Mowbray is absolutely brilliant (with no evidence whatsover), but Strachan was absolutely disastrous.

I have been operating with a little tongue in cheek this past few weeks, applying to Mowbray the same criteria that was applied by so many to Strachan (ie criticising the guy for merely existing!)

Regardless of the strength or otherwise of the opposition, Strachan was the first manager to win three titles in a row since Big Jock and gave plenty of memorable European Evenings against the likes of Man Ure and AC Milan etc.

At the end of the day a manager is judged on his trophy haul and on that socre, as Billy Mc Neill said at a dinner I attended last year, Strachan can not be faulted.
titles cannot be argued against, but I recall the nightmares against half decent cl opposition like shakthar, copenhagen with stealing victories against milan, moscow and man u when we did not deserve them (not that I complained).
With such a poor rangers team during all of strachans tenure, I would have expected he won the league ALL of those years not failure in two of them.
I was as disappointed when MON lost the league in the last season, but he had good reason for his lack of focus. Fair play to him for not quitting before Christmas when he got the news.

If mowbray replicates strachans failures, then I will deem him in a similar fashion.
Right now, he has got my trust more so because he has moved to get rid of the obvious poor players, when strachan insisted in signing them and continue to play them.
Mowbray has done so already (not popular regarding mcmanus , but i personally have always stated he was not a centre half or good enough to play there for Celtic - no matter how nice a guy he was).
As Strachan couldnt see these obvious things, I couldnt have faith in him.
That he still won titles shows how poor the spl can be.
his record as a manager elsewhere shows he isnt up to much.

T Fearon

Well taking Southampton to the Cup Final in England must count for something!

I will reserve judgement on both until the end of this season. However, I would say that Middlesbro have a better chance right now of being in the EPL next season, than Celtic have of winning the SPL.

There is no obvious indication as yet that the players Mowbray has brought in are any better than those discarded, his track record in England s as bad if not worse than Strachan's,and I have never seen Robbie Keane so uptight and miss so many chances as he did the other night. The next month will tell the tale.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on February 12, 2010, 12:49:44 PM
Well taking Southampton to the Cup Final in England must count for something!

I will reserve judgement on both until the end of this season. However, I would say that Middlesbro have a better chance right now of being in the EPL next season, than Celtic have of winning the SPL.

There is no obvious indication as yet that the players Mowbray has brought in are any better than those discarded, his track record in England s as bad if not worse than Strachan's,and I have never seen Robbie Keane so uptight and miss so many chances as he did the other night. The next month will tell the tale.
well Tony, you mustnt have been watching the same Robbie keane as the rest of us when he plays for spurs and Ireland then
I have always said that Keane will miss 5 to score 1.
usually misses the easy ones as well and scores the crackers !

bringing southampton to cup final - thats great success alright !
wasnt it he who got the never previously relegated coventry sent down ?

Celt_Man

O'Dea warns Keane of Glasgow danger

Friday, 12 February 2010 10:09

Darren O'Dea has warned new Celtic team-mate Robbie Keane of the dangers of going out in Glasgow after a man reportedly threatened to kneecap the defender.

O'Dea became involved in a row with a man who accused him of chatting up his girlfriend while the player was celebrating his 23rd birthday last week.

Keane joined Celtic on loan from Tottenham until the end of the season on transfer deadline day and O'Dea fears he could face similar problems if he is not careful.

'It's disappointing, but it's one of those things,' said O'Dea, who is hoping to return from a hamstring injury in time for Saturday's Clydesdale Bank Premier League game at Aberdeen.

'It's part and parcel of living in Glasgow. I'll be a lot more careful in future or I just won't go out.

'I'm a professional footballer and some people like to pick fights with us. I don't usually go out that much anyway, so I'll just have to stay in more.

'Other players get targeted by people and that's what it's like. That's the problem when you only have two big clubs like Celtic and Rangers in one city.'

O'Dea added in the Daily Mail: 'It's not the first time it has happened and it won't be the last.

'Robbie has joined us now and he'll have to get used to it, too.

'Glasgow is a tough place to live and there are certain parts of the city you just don't go.'
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

illdecide

'Glasgow is a tough place to live and there are certain parts of the city you just don't go.'

F**king sounds like Lurgan :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

charlieTully

Quote from: illdecide on February 12, 2010, 05:01:25 PM

F**king sounds like Lurgan :D

its not as bad as lurgan.

reddgnhand

Quote from: T Fearon on February 12, 2010, 10:05:37 AM
It was £4m for Scott Brown actually and he help deliver a league title. Also Roy Keane was a dud signed against Strachan's wishes for the purpose of signing merchandise.
Was Martin O'Neill found out in the last match of the 2004/05 season?

Managers tend to  want "their own teams" for egotistical reasons. In my opinion Mowbray has moved a lot of players on who have experience of winning Scottish League titles and there is no guarantee or evidence that his replacements are any better.

Also as I've said before, if Strachan had had the luxury of bringing in Robbie Keane this time last year, he would have won a fourth title in a row.

Such rubbish as usual yedo. Strachan met Keane at Desmond's house in London and they discussed Keanes role at Celtic. The decison was Strachans alone. 

T Fearon

Funny how Lawwell subsequently admitted later that he was signed with an eye on merchandise sales. That suggests he was not the choice of Stachan, numpty

reddgnhand

Quote from: T Fearon on February 12, 2010, 09:05:19 PM
Funny how Lawwell subsequently admitted later that he was signed with an eye on merchandise sales. That suggests he was not the choice of Stachan, numpty

What it suggests is that Lawell as CE admitted the club could make money from merchandise of the back of Keane signing. What is wrong with that? What it does not suggest in any shape or form is that Keane was signed against Strachan's wishes. The only person who can tell us if he was signed against his wishes is Strachan himself. Read his book yedo there is not even a hint of it.   

T Fearon

hes hardly going to admit it in a book wqritten while he was still Celic manager, is he you plank? Its common knowledge that Keane was signed above his head

reddgnhand

Quote from: T Fearon on February 12, 2010, 09:26:29 PM
hes hardly going to admit it in a book wqritten while he was still Celic manager, is he you plank? Its common knowledge that Keane was signed above his head

He's not Celtic's manager now. Has he said anything different since he left. Its not common knowledge to me that Keane was signed above his head. First you said it was for the sale of merchadise now its down to rumour and hearsay that Keane was signed above Strachans head. Yedo try to back up some of the rubbish you spout.