?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 20, 2009, 06:11:09 PM
Money hasn't just widened the gap between the SPL and EPL. It has dramatically increased the gap between Celtic, Rangers and the rest of the SPL. Difficult to imagine a team like Fergie's Aberdeen emerging to challenge the Old Firm these days. As soon as any talent emerges in the other sides, Celtic and Rangers step in and hoover it up. When you look at how the likes of Derek Riordan fared at Parkhead, you have to say that it's not always good for these individuals, never mind the Scottish game. Willo Flood seems to heading down the same road.
did you not see the spl last season?
the gap was closing if anything !

as for riordan, GS fell out with him and we know what happens there.
Flood was bought by strachan and maybe isnt Moggas cup of tea, thats sport !

As for Celtic being relegated in the epl. Nope cant see that. Even with the current squad, theyd still do better than some of the bottom 6-10 teams imo.
then with some of the minimum 20 million to spend, it would enhance their prospects. Two to three years would see them top six and thereafter would depend on who is their manager (eg MON in a season or two would have them vying for the title!)

Main Street

Quote from: Master Yoda on August 21, 2009, 08:49:36 AM
Quote from: Main Street on August 20, 2009, 01:47:37 PM

could now compete amongst the also rans for a 5th or 6th position in the EPl given the same financial resources that the bottom EPL club receives.

Celtic or Rangers wouldn't finish in the top half of the EPL, I think they would be doing well not to be relegated.
With the same financial income as the bottom epl team?
You can think what you like. Facts of recent enough football history, outlined in this thread, speak otherwise.

anportmorforjfc

There was no gap between Celtic and the top 6 EPL teams  just 6 or 7 years ago.
I'd have little doubt that Mons team could have held their own in the top 6 of the EPl, possibly even finish 3rd or 4th at their best

The gap has widened. The reason for the widening gap is down to finance pure and simple. Celtic have cut their financial cloth accordingly. Those leading EPL clubs have taken on massive debt., eg. 95% of Man U profit  goes to service its debt.
EPL brand customers throwing jibes about Celtics standards these days, can't see further than their noses.

I'd have little doubt that Celtic could now compete amongst the also rans for a 5th or 6th position in the EPl given the same financial resources that the bottom EPL club receives.

Celtic or Rangers wouldn't finish in the top half of the EPL, I think they would be doing well not to be relegated.

have to agree with that. i think celtic especially would struggle in epl

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on August 21, 2009, 11:23:05 AM
I'd have little doubt that Mons team could have held their own in the top 6 of the EPl, possibly even finish 3rd or 4th at their best

The gap has widened. The reason for the widening gap is down to finance pure and simple. Celtic have cut their financial cloth accordingly. Those leading EPL clubs have taken on massive debt., eg. 95% of Man U profit  goes to service its debt.
EPL brand customers throwing jibes about Celtics standards these days, can't see further than their noses.

I'd have little doubt that Celtic could now compete amongst the also rans for a 5th or 6th position in the EPl given the same financial resources that the bottom EPL club receives.

Absolute crap, where's your reasons, evidence etc for making such a stupid statement - oh hold on your just trying to be a WUM.  ::)
Tbc....

Eastern_Pride

I really doubt that saying that they have more european class players than Everton or Aston Villa. 5th or 6th would be a good result but cop on, Celtic-Stoke? Yeah Stoke are big favourites...Burnley-Rangers? Has to be Rangers  ::)
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 04:01:46 PM
Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 19, 2009, 03:45:06 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 03:41:46 PM
Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 19, 2009, 03:18:44 PM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 19, 2009, 03:10:02 PM
Chelsea had success before Roman money came to Stamford bridge though, a face quite a lot of football fans seem to miss to suit their own argument.
My whole argument precisely.
before amhramovitz's money ....but not before hardings money

certainly the resurgence of chelsea from the div 2 oblivion was kickstarted by massive financial investment.
roman A's additional investment raised them a level higher.

...but chelsea et al didnt buy their way to the top  ::)
Celtic would do likewise if they had the funds. All clubs do - so dont go fooling yoursleves lads !
chelsea did buy their way up ! and then up again !
Is that not what I've been saying if you read my original quote?
so you are in agreement that chelsea didnt buy their success?
my original point wasnt actually in reply to you !
Just picked your quote at random more or less as it seemed to indicate that chelsea didnt buy success - from either roman a, or any other wealthy benefactor.
It was continual success, Abramavich just kind of, "kick-started" it. Most teams buy success. Blackburn 94/95.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

full back

Quote from: T Fearon on August 21, 2009, 03:03:03 PM
According to Daily Record to-day West Ham are interested in Samaras?

If Celtic are so far behind the EPL how come there's so much interest in Brown, Mc Geady, Samaras etc

Look at the teams interested in them FFS
West Ham & the spuds - 8th & 9th in the PL last season, enough said ::)

And lets be honest, they wouldnt exactly be the best players on the team

cavan4ever

Quote from: T Fearon on August 21, 2009, 03:03:03 PM
According to Daily Record to-day West Ham are interested in Samaras?

If Celtic are so far behind the EPL how come there's so much interest in Brown, Mc Geady, Samaras etc

I hope spurs dont buy any of them anyway.

Master Yoda

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 21, 2009, 11:35:21 AM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on August 21, 2009, 11:23:05 AM

Absolute crap, where's your reasons, evidence etc for making such a stupid statement - oh hold on your just trying to be a WUM.  ::)

How do you know it's absolute crap? Its my opinion that Celtic are crap it might be wrong but its my opinion. What is a WUM.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

Clown

this sort of shite-talk arises everytime there is one of these so called 'battles of britain' in the champions league/uefa cup

the EPL has enormous amounts of money ploughed into it, the SPL gets a very small percentage of this in comparison. why are people surprised or even coming on here to make comments when the SPL teams are shown up to be weaker. its common sense that they would be

as a celtic fan, im happy enough supporting my team week in week out in the scottish league, and love the european nights. i beleive i get a lot more satisfaction out of supporting Celtic than fans of a lot of the run-of-the-mill mid-table mediocre english side - Spurs, Everton, Villa, City, Bolton, Sunderland etc (just my opinion of course)
Not many of EPL sides have the history, the fanbase, the success, the class or the family spirit of the Celts.

Hail Hail!!

clarshack

Quote from: Clown on August 21, 2009, 04:15:56 PM
this sort of shite-talk arises everytime there is one of these so called 'battles of britain' in the champions league/uefa cup

the EPL has enormous amounts of money ploughed into it, the SPL gets a very small percentage of this in comparison. why are people surprised or even coming on here to make comments when the SPL teams are shown up to be weaker. its common sense that they would be

as a celtic fan, im happy enough supporting my team week in week out in the scottish league, and love the european nights. i beleive i get a lot more satisfaction out of supporting Celtic than fans of a lot of the run-of-the-mill mid-table mediocre english side - Spurs, Everton, Villa, City, Bolton, Sunderland etc (just my opinion of course)
Not many of those mid-table EPL sides have the history, the fanbase, the success, the class or the family spirit of the Celts.

Hail Hail!!

well said.

Orior

Will it be the Celtic B team or C team that plays Cliftonville in Solitude water park?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Main Street

It will be the thought that counts.

Orior

Quote from: T Fearon on August 21, 2009, 05:00:58 PM
Well I'll be in Paradise tomorrow to see Tony Mowbray's first managerial win at home as manager of Celtic.

Orior seems like the real deal with the Cliftonville game

Just as long as you get back in time to watch the minors!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

the colonel

I was at the Dinamo game Tony, will be there tomorrow, hope it goes better!
the difference between success and failure is energy