Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Rav67

The Martin Lipton article is a load of bollocks because if Celtic were allowed in the EPL they'd buy half a new team straight away like most promoted sides do. Most people appreciate that due to merchandise money ticket sales etc on top off the tv revenue would have Celtic knocking on the door of the top4 quickly.  Personally I think any such move is a long long way off anyhow.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: T Fearon on August 19, 2009, 02:02:53 PM
Its all relative.

By and large Celtic did as well as the vast majority of EPL teams last night, but sure at the other end of the scale, the Italian clubs and particularly the Spanish clubs (if they're not fueding amongst each other) regularly piss over the EPL clubs (discount Liverpool's steal in 2005) in the latter stages

Arsenal will not be involved when it matters in this tournament as they will be pissed on with a club that has more money then them

Tony just run through the record of English sides against Italian teams in the champions league in recent years for me would ya? As for Spanish sides, Liverpool trounced Madrid last year, United knocked out Barcelona the year before.

Arsenal have been involved in the final, semi-final and quarter final in recent years.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

bingobus

Quote from: Rav67 on August 19, 2009, 02:03:54 PM
The Martin Lipton article is a load of bollocks because if Celtic were allowed in the EPL they'd buy half a new team straight away like most promoted sides do. Most people appreciate that due to merchandise money ticket sales etc on top off the tv revenue would have Celtic knocking on the door of the top4 quickly.  Personally I think any such move is a long long way off anyhow.

Behave yourself, City have spent millions and will be hoping to break the top 4 and thats been an estblished EPL team for a number of years. Celtic wouldn't have anywhere near the money City would have and at most would be lucky to have 40m to spend. This will buy 3/4 half decent to very good players, not close to top 4. Promoted clubs never spend more than 20m to spend, anymore is suicide. Remember with big transfers come big wages and big commitments to spend income you may not have in years to come.

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: T Fearon on August 19, 2009, 02:02:53 PM
Its all relative.

By and large Celtic did as well as the vast majority of EPL teams last night, but sure at the other end of the scale, the Italian clubs and particularly the Spanish clubs (if they're not fueding amongst each other) regularly piss over the EPL clubs (discount Liverpool's steal in 2005) in the latter stages

Arsenal will not be involved when it matters in this tournament as they will be pissed on with a club that has more money then them
Champions League 2009- 3 Teams in Semi-Finals from England
Champions League 2008- 3 Teams in Semi-Finals from England
Champions League 2007- 3 Teams In Semi-Finals from England
There's also been an English club in every final since 2005. But, I suppose, they never really make it that far.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

lfdown2

why do the english fans on here feel the need to tell all celtic fans how bad their team is, I dont think anyone on here would not acknowledge the gulf in class (money) however last night boruc wasnt tested, two freak goals and for my mind an absolute definate penalty waved away for celtic at 1-0, celtic did little else than hold arsenal for the majority of the game but they did that and had more of the ball in the second half. Well done arsenal though I would still be wary of the second leg, and think celtic could get a draw out of it.

Europa cup football isnt the end of the world, just disappointing when celtic shouldn't have been in the position needing to qualify!

GalwayBayBoy

I thought Celtic weren't doing too badly at all until Arsenal's jammy first goal on the stroke of half-time. Yes Arsenal had most of the ball but had created very little really. Granted Celtic had created even less but in no way were Celtic being outclassed. They actually looked relatively comfortable. The Gallas goal seemed to shake them though as Celtic started the second half in a daze and Arsenal could have added another goal or two at that stage but after that Celtic settled down again until Caldwell put into his own net. I don't think Arsenal even played particularly well on the night but they controlled most of the possession and had two big slices of jam which led to their goals.

McGeady actually played very well and looked about the only player who would look comfortable in the Arsenal team. He had very little support around him though. Samaras and McDonald were anonymous and Fortune god love him was completely rubbish. Brown as well is terribly overrated. If 'Arry Redknapp offers Celtic 10M for him they should bite his arm off. He can barely control and pass the ball to a teammate.

AZOffaly

I don't think Arsenal were that good last night, their passing seemed a bit rusty to me, in contrast to what you'll see from them as the season progresses, but i thought they were extremely comfortable. It looked like Arsenal were content to let McGeady and Maloney run around with the ball 40 yards out, but were rarely stretched apart from a good interception from Vermulen and a great piece of defending by Gallas.

It looked like Arsenal would be happy with a draw, given their own performance, and Celtic's record up there, but they benefitted from a lucky first goal. For the second, I felt sorry for Caldwell, but if he hadn't tried to cut out, Bendtner or someone was coming in at the back stick and would have had a tap in.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 19, 2009, 02:33:45 PM
I thought Celtic weren't doing too badly at all until Arsenal's jammy first goal on the stroke of half-time. Yes Arsenal had most of the ball but had created very little really. Granted Celtic had created even less but in no way were Celtic being outclassed. They actually looked relatively comfortable. The Gallas goal seemed to shake them though as Celtic started the second half in a daze and Arsenal could have added another goal or two at that stage but after that Celtic settled down again until Caldwell put into his own net. I don't think Arsenal even played particularly well on the night but they controlled most of the possession and had two big slices of jam which led to their goals.

McGeady actually played very well and looked about the only player who would look comfortable in the Arsenal team. He had very little support around him though. Samaras and McDonald were anonymous and Fortune god love him was completely rubbish. Brown as well is terribly overrated. If 'Arry Redknapp offers Celtic 10M for him they should bite his arm off. He can barely control and pass the ball to a teammate.
I'd agree with that though I dont think McGeady did as well as some of you are saying. Maybe I just expect more.
Def Celtic had to change things after the first goal so left it even more open in the second half for arsenal.

not sure what game oneill was watching (or thought he was watching) at both teams played identical formations - though arsenal called theirs 433 and Celtic 451 - they were both 451 !

If the game had not been graced with the two lucky goals, a 0-0 result would not have been incorrect.
Almunia certainly had more to do in the first half (with crosses) than Boruc .

Someone cited man city as proof that buying players doesnt guarantee success.
OK explain chelsea then ! !!
:D
can hardly say man u's team are all home grown either !

T Fearon

Arsenal hadn't one englishman last night whereas Celtic had four scots (including Mc Geady who was born there) Says it all.

The irony is that when the financial playing fields were level Celtic and Rangers regularly pissed on English teams (and they were Champions of England) in the European Cup. Both of them knocked Leeds out. In 1967 Scottish Football was arguably the strongest in Europe with Celtic winning the European Cup and Rangers only losing 1-0 to Bayern Munich in that years ECWC Final after extra time.

The money bubble will burst soon enough in England and a lot of so called big clubs will go the way of Leeds.

Celtic and Rangers will always be strong and relatively stable

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 19, 2009, 02:53:55 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 19, 2009, 02:33:45 PM

I'd agree with that though I dont think McGeady did as well as some of you are saying. Maybe I just expect more.
Def Celtic had to change things after the first goal so left it even more open in the second half for arsenal.

not sure what game oneill was watching (or thought he was watching) at both teams played identical formations - though arsenal called theirs 433 and Celtic 451 - they were both 451 !

If the game had not been graced with the two lucky goals, a 0-0 result would not have been incorrect.
Almunia certainly had more to do in the first half (with crosses) than Boruc .

Someone cited man city as proof that buying players doesnt guarantee success.
OK explain chelsea then ! !!
:D
can hardly say man u's team are all home grown either !
I don't think anyone noticed but chelsea were an established top 6 club when abramovich came along an had just snatched a champions league place. We had been buying players left right and center for years before, the reason why all academy players are now playing at a very high level of football at clubs like blackburn, wiganand villareal. Man City are completely different in that the trophies they were aiming for 10 years ago while Chelsea were in a CL final were the Vans Trophy. Man City have, in all fairness, bought much better than Chelsea did and I think, in the long run, they will have reached the Champions League 2nd Round by 2012 if Jose Mourinho returns. He is GOD!

DennistheMenace

Chelsea had success before Roman money came to Stamford bridge though, a face quite a lot of football fans seem to miss to suit their own argument.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: lfdown2 on August 19, 2009, 02:32:11 PM
why do the english fans on here feel the need to tell all celtic fans how bad their team is, I dont think anyone on here would not acknowledge the gulf in class (money) however last night boruc wasnt tested, two freak goals and for my mind an absolute definate penalty waved away for celtic at 1-0, celtic did little else than hold arsenal for the majority of the game but they did that and had more of the ball in the second half. Well done arsenal though I would still be wary of the second leg, and think celtic could get a draw out of it.

Europa cup football isnt the end of the world, just disappointing when celtic shouldn't have been in the position needing to qualify!
It has become cool to hate Celtic in recent times, I know of people who take delight at Rangers winning the league ahead of Celtic which is sad.  I have great affinity for Celtic, they are a well run club with an enviable fan base.
Good luck to Arsenal but it is still plain to see that when a game gets physical they have no match in the middle of the park, until that is addressed their trophy free run will continue.

DennistheMenace

I thought Song and Fabregas were both excellent in the middle last night. Song has the potential to be a very good player DM and seems to have beefed up a bit over the summer.

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 19, 2009, 03:10:02 PM
Chelsea had success before Roman money came to Stamford bridge though, a face quite a lot of football fans seem to miss to suit their own argument.
My whole argument precisely.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 19, 2009, 03:18:44 PM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 19, 2009, 03:10:02 PM
My whole argument precisely.

We're not allowed to agree. I agree with whoever isn't agreeing with you.