Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

T Fearon

Good to see Lennon staying. He'd be on a hiding to nothing going to shite like Stockport with everything to lose.

the colonel

the difference between success and failure is energy

reddgnhand

Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2009, 12:34:20 PM
I think this is very encouraging and shows we have the ability to attract players ahead of some of the dross in the EPL with their big cheque books, but obviously Fortune's past relationship with Mowbray has counted for a lot here.

Particularly encouraging that we can go and spend £4m on a player when the Huns still have the For Sale signs up ;D

We as in Spurs?? Or is Spurs some of the dross in the EPL?

Dannymcfella

Quote from: Gold on July 08, 2009, 02:01:48 PM
what is the attraction of supporting a soccer team from a different land that plays in a league where the only challenge comes from the same team year in, year out?

do you feel you have an affinity with japanese or dutch (etc) mercenaries who play for celtic?

how anyone can seriously support any soccer team in another land is beyond me

i have friends who say "come on boys" etc when Liverpool etc are playing --i have never seen the attraction

What is the attraction of coming onto a thread which you have no interest in and leaving stupid remarks like you just have?!
Go home you troll!! ::)

the colonel

CELTIC Football Club is delighted to announce the latest signing of the summer, with centre forward Marc-Antoine Fortune signing on a three-year contract.

The 28-year-old French Guiana-born striker joins Celtic from French Ligue 1 side, AS Nancy, after a six-month loan spell with manager Tony Mowbray's former club West Bromwich Albion.

Fortune scored on his debut at Albion and impressed during the second half of the league campaign.

After undergoing a successful medical yesterday (Tuesday, July 7) the Frenchman pledged his future to the club and is thrilled by the prospect of challenging for the Scottish Premier League title with his old boss.

"This is where I want to be," said Fortune. "Having met the people at the club and knowing all about the club's fantastic pedigree and support, this is where I saw my future.

"I am looking forward to the challenge of winning the league title, competing for the cups and playing in Europe, in front of the Celtic supporters.

"I am also looking forward to working with my manager, Tony Mowbray, once again. I had a great experience with him, Mark Venus and Peter Grant in the Premiership last season and I am looking forward to now working with him at one of Europe's biggest football clubs."

Tony Mowbray is equally enthused about the prospect of being re-united with his former charge and added: "Marc is a quality player and at West Brom he was a privilege to work with.

"Some of his play in the second half of the season was phenomenal and, if you look at our goals ratio as a team after he joined, you can see the impact he made.

"He is a team player, we were delighted with the way he performed in the Premiership and are looking forward to working with him at Celtic."

Fortune will officially join up with the first-team squad today, ahead of the team's trip to Australia for the pre-season game against Brisbane Roar.

Gold

Quote from: Dannymcfella on July 08, 2009, 08:27:37 PM
Quote from: Gold on July 08, 2009, 02:01:48 PM
what is the attraction of supporting a soccer team from a different land that plays in a league where the only challenge comes from the same team year in, year out?

do you feel you have an affinity with japanese or dutch (etc) mercenaries who play for celtic?

how anyone can seriously support any soccer team in another land is beyond me

i have friends who say "come on boys" etc when Liverpool etc are playing --i have never seen the attraction

What is the attraction of coming onto a thread which you have no interest in and leaving stupid remarks like you just have?!
Go home you troll!! ::)

its not a stupid comment--im asking a genuine question

i just cant see the attraction and would appreciate if someone could explain it
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

the colonel

Funniest thing I have heard in years!! ;D ;D

Juventus striker David Trezeguet's agent says he knows nothing about a potential move to Rangers.

Reports in Italy have suggested the SPL champions are keen to sign the £8.5m-rated former France international as speculation continues about his future.

However, agent Antonio Caliendo insists he is unaware of any firm interest.

"For the time being, I have not been called into this matter," he told Radio Milan.

"Regarding Trezeguet, there are many rumours because he appeals to many clubs.

"If there is a team that the player likes and that club is strongly interested in him, it will be no surprise.

"But only certain offers can be evaluated."

High level
He added: "He is aware that he doesn't need to prove anything to anyone.

"He has won a World Cup, a European Championship, three Serie A titles, the

Capocannoniere title (as the top scorer in Serie A in 2001/02).

"As long as the teams that want him play at a high level, there will be no problems."

T Fearon

Trezeguet is a cracking player.Saw him scoring two great goals against Celtic for Juve in that famous 4-3 win and also for Juve against Lazio in late 2007.

stiffler

John Hartson diagnosed with brain cancer

The 34-year-old was given the news over the weekend after going to hospital last Friday suffering with horrendous headaches.

According to the Sun, tests were carried out at the Singleton Hospital in Swansea where Hartson was told the news and where the former Arsenal and West Ham player is believed to be starting a course of chemotherapy.

A close friend told the paper: "He told me he had been complaining of having really bad headaches recently. It reached the stage where he felt something was seriously wrong so went to hospital on Friday.

"The doctors did a load of tests and decided to keep him in over the weekend - they have done every scan and test imaginable and diagnosed that he has testicular cancer which has spread up to his brain.

"But the doctors are upbeat about his prospects and chemotherapy will begin right away - big John's not giving up hope."

Hartson joined Celtic in 2001 after Martin O'Neill signed him from Coventry City for £6 million. Central to the club's success, he helped his side reach the Uefa Cup final in 2005 - the same year he was named the Scottish Football Writers' Player of the Year.

The following season - and his final year in the SPL - Hartson flurry of goals helped his side win the league.

Before his five seasons in Scotland, Hartson played with Arsenal, West Ham and Wimbledon. He finished his career with West Bromwich Albion in February 2008 when he announced his retirement after being released by the club

sad news. hope he makes a full and speedy recovery
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

BennyHarp

Thats awful news about John Hartson - as a west ham fan and a celtic fan i have to say that Hartson and his no nonsense style made him one of my favourite players over the years - lets hope he can make a recovery! He'll need all his legendary battling skills for this one - best wishes John!!
That was never a square ball!!

Archie Mitchell

orangeman

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 13, 2009, 11:36:05 AM
Thats awful news about John Hartson - as a west ham fan and a celtic fan i have to say that Hartson and his no nonsense style made him one of my favourite players over the years - lets hope he can make a recovery! He'll need all his legendary battling skills for this one - best wishes John!!
#

+1

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8149200.stm

Old Firm 'in talks' over TV deal 

Celtic and Rangers may be set to mount a bid to take on the broadcasting rights to the Scottish Premier League.

Rangers confirmed the club was in talks with their Old Firm rivals about buying the TV rights to the SPL, following the collapse of Setanta last month.

The Glasgow clubs are unhappy at the deal offered by Sky and ESPN, thought to be worth £65m over five years.

The SPL said it had received no proposals from the Old Firm. Its board will discuss the issue on Thursday.

A spokeswoman for Rangers said: "Rangers and Celtic have had discussions with regard to buying out the SPL television rights.

"Both clubs felt obliged to do this given the offer from Sky and ESPN is so low."

A spokesman for the SPL said: "We have not received a proposal from the Old Firm in relation to our TV rights.

"Until we do so we are not in a position to comment on it."

Regular payments

It has been reported that the Old Firm believe the rights are worth £25m over two years.

Setanta collapsed at the end of the season after failing to meet deadlines for regular payments to both the Premier League in England and its Scottish counterpart.

The SPL decided to seek new partners after the Irish broadcaster reneged on the final payment of £3m which was due to the league for broadcasting live games last season.

Acceptance of any new deal would require all 12 clubs to vote on a formal resolution, which would have to be supported by a majority of at least eight to four.

Tbc....

Main Street

SPL sell rights to Sky and ESPN

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2009/0716/1224250810252.html

"The Scottish Premier League's 12 clubs have agreed a €75 million deal with Sky and ESPN to screen 60 live games each season across the UK and Ireland.
The deal will last until the end of season 2011-12 with the SPL having an option to extend the deal for a further two seasons."

However
another report reduces the value of the  deal

ESPN, Sky buy Scottish soccer rights

"LONDON (AP)—ESPN and Sky will show Scottish Premier League soccer live in Britain and Ireland for the next three seasons, with an option for an additional two.
The rival broadcasters agreed to a deal Thursday worth $106 million over five years to acquire the rights taken off Setanta before the Irish network's British operation collapsed last month.
Between them, ESPN and Sky will show 30 live Scottish matches each season. The SPL will receive over $21 million each season, just $820,000 less than the Setanta deal."

So basically screwing the subscriber again? If you want to watch all the games with your team then you have to subscribe both to Sky sports and ESPN?

To put the TV rights deall into some perspective, the amount for the whole  of the SPL is worth the same as what the bottom club in the EPL get for just turning up.

illdecide

I was looking thru the teams involved in the champions league qualifying round 2 and judging by the names i don't care who Celtic get, I'm hoping someone can clarify what way the draw works. I'm assuming all the teams in round 3 will be drawn again the round 2 winners and the winners of them ties will go into the group stages proper???
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch