Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

T Fearon

Has had limited success with Swansea, they play attractive football, but has not done nearly enough to warrant consideration even for the Celtic post

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: T Fearon on June 01, 2009, 11:54:39 AM
Has had limited success with Swansea, they play attractive football, but has not done nearly enough to warrant consideration even for the Celtic post

Then why the feck is Lawwell wanting to speak to him?
Heard the whoever comes is getting diddily squat to spend, will make attracting any sort of decent manager near impossible.
Back to the days of the biscuit tin.
Tbc....

T Fearon

Craig Brown was on the radio this morning and said we'd all be surprised by the idemity of Celtic's new manager, (he mentioned Wim), and said it was both a big and attractive job. Hope this is not what he meant by us being surprised :o

Rav67

Looks like Martinez, I think he will be a fantastic appointment.  He'll definitely have Celtic playing very attractive football and having seen him on tv he has a personality which the fans will be able to warm to a lot more, which is important at Celtic.

DennistheMenace

What link does Martinez have with Celtic and what has he done exactly in his managerial career to date ? Achieved one promotion with the mighty Swansea ?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: DennistheMenace on June 01, 2009, 11:54:03 PM
What link does Martinez have with Celtic and what has he done exactly in his managerial career to date ? Achieved one promotion with the mighty Swansea ?

Swansea fans seem to think he's "God" and will get them promoted to the EPL this year.
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Gonna be a hard task!!

Celtic face minefield in Champions League bid

by Alison McConnell

THE consequences of Celtic's failure to win the title last month leaves them facing an anxious wait this summer.

As the Parkhead side scour the market to find an exciting candidate to lead them forward into the next chapter of their history, they are also keen to find out their opponents in the Champions League qualifiers.

Standing in Celtic's path will be several awkward opponents, as well as one or two who could claim to stand among the continent's elite.

advertisementIf the Hoops are to negotiate their way into the coveted Champions League, they must prepare themselves for four massive matches before their season has really had a chance to get under way.

The draw for the third qualifying round takes place on June 22 and the Hoops might face any one of five teams who are likely to present a stern challenge.

However, assuming that the Parkhead side fight their way into the next round, the bar could go up several notches with the likes of Arsenal and Lyon lying in wait.

Celtic forced their way past Spartak Moscow after a nail-biting penalty shoot-out the last time they had to go through qualifying.

And things will be every bit as nervy this summer as they face the prospect of lining up against the following teams in the third round:

SPARTA PRAGUE
The most successful team in Czech football finished the season as runners-up in the league and haven't been involved in Champions League football for four years.

Managed by Jozef Chovanec, the most recognisable name in their squad is ex-Liverpool midfielder Patrik Berger. The club have a fabulous European pedigree.

DINAMO BUCHAREST
Managed by Mircea Redmic, the club walloped Everton 5-2 on aggregate in the UEFA Cup in season 2005-06. Finished as runners-up in their own league this season and have proved in the past that they are a force to be reckoned with.

FC TWENTE
The Dutch side are managed by former England manager Steve McLaren and the anthem of their fans will be familiar to the Hoops. "You'll Never Walk Alone" is blasted out before every home game.

DINAMO MOSCOW
Finished third in the Russian league last term. This is the first time that they have qualified for the Champions League since it was rebranded from the European Cup in 1992.

SIVASSPOR
The little-known Turkish club played European football for the first time last season when they finished fourth in the league and qualified for the Intertoto Cup. Beat both Fenerbahce and Galatasaray last season and Celtic won't fancy a qualifier in the baking Turkish July heat.

If Celtic prevail, this is who they could meet in the fourth qualification round:

ARSENAL
Arsene Wenger's side were beaten semi-finalists in the Champions League last season as Manchester United put them to the sword. Their pace through the likes of Theo Walcott and Andriy Arshavin, in particular, would be an absolute menace to Celtic. However, another 'Battle of Britain' may bring out the best in Celtic who relish their jousts with Premiership opposition.

LYON
The French side have dominated their domestic league in recent times, but finished third this term - the first time they haven't won the title for seven years. Captained by the inimitable Brazilian Juninho, Claude Puel's side would be a serious threat to Celtic's Champions League aspirations.

SHAKHTAR DONETSK
This season's Uefa Cup winners have money to burn and have a squad peppered with Brazilian talent. No strangers to Celtic who have already met the Ukrainians on two occasions in the group stages of the Champions League.

SPORTING LISBON
The Portuguese Hoops finished runners-up this summer and Paulo Pereira Cristovao has promised that he will put Sven-Goran Eriksson in charge of the club, if he wins the presidential elections this summer.

PANATHINAIKOS
Beat AEK Athens in a play-off for the Champions League qualifying spot and although there are no real superstars within their ranks, they are a decent outfit. Probably the team Celtic might fancy their chances against, although the heat would again be a major factor.

Publication date 02/06/09

Tbc....

Muzz

QuoteTONY ADAMS MAKES CELTIC CLAIM

Former Portsmouth manager Tony Adams has claimed he will become Celtic boss if Wim Jansen is appointed technical director.

The former England defender has been out of the game since leaving the Pompey manager's chair in February.

But he now claims he could be heading for Parkhead - if his "good friend" Jansen, a former Celtic boss, returns to the Bhoys as technical director.

He told talkSPORT: "Wim Jansen is probably in at Celtic. It would be him as technical director and me as manager.

"By saying manager, it is kind of a head coach's position really because once you have a technical director like you have in Europe, they help you with recruitment.

"They do the 'nuts and bolts', the travel arrangements, the hotels, and all that kind of stuff.

"As long as you have the final say of who comes in and out, these people are your help in the boardroom. I never had that at Portsmouth.

"It works for me and Celtic is an unbelievable club, you have a 50% chance of winning something up there."

He added: "I've not applied for the role. I know Wim Jansen, who has put me in there.

"I think they approached him and I know Wim from my Feyenoord days and he's actually said that he would only do the role if I were to be made manager. That's Wim's opinion, not Celtic's."

Heard Tony's name being mentioned last week but didnt want to believe it.  Surely cant be true.  There was mention of Jensen, Adams and Larrson as the three man team.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Garry Pendrey leads Celtic coach exodus

by Alison McConnell

CELTIC have carried out a backroom cull ahead of a new boss taking over from Gordon Strachan.

Out go assistant manager Garry Pendrey and goalkeeping coach Jim Blythe after Strachan called time on his Hoops career.

And chief scout Ray Clarke has also parted company with the Parkhead club as they clear the decks.

advertisementMeanwhile, former Celt John Hartson has urged the Hoops to pull out all the stops to make Tony Mowbray the new boss.

Celtic have been warned off the West Brom manager by the Midlands club.

And it is believed any move for the former Hibs manager would involve compensation of around £1.5m.

However, Hartson insists it would be money well spent.

"Three or four under-performing players will leave the club this summer, and they are on seriously big money," he said.

"The club are in a good financial position and, with guys leaving, the money should be there to get Tony.

"Remember, he started the huddle, and that alone makes him a legend.

"I don't know what finances would be involved to get him, but I'd advise the board to push the boat out and go and get him.

"I don't think there are many better men out there."

Hartson, who featured only sporadically under Mowbray at West Brom, believes his brand of football would be relished by the demanding Hoops support.

"The bottom line is, if Tony plays good football and wins trophies, every-one's a winner," he said.

"But, as Gordon showed, winning trophies doesn't always win over the fans.

"With some it is all about how the team plays. Martin O'Neill's side did both."

Tbc....

nifan

Former Portsmouth manager and Arsenal legend Tony Adams has admitted on talkSPORT radio that he is close to becoming the new Celtic boss after entering into talks with the Scottish club.

Speaking to Andy Townsend and Mike Parry on the Townsend and Parry Show about his managerial future, Adams said:

"My good friend Wim Jansen is probably in at Celtic.  It would be him as technical director and me as manager.

nifan

If i where a celtic fan i think id have martinez ahead of adams.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Muzz on June 02, 2009, 01:23:34 PM
QuoteTONY ADAMS MAKES CELTIC CLAIM

Former Portsmouth manager Tony Adams has claimed he will become Celtic boss if Wim Jansen is appointed technical director.

The former England defender has been out of the game since leaving the Pompey manager's chair in February.

But he now claims he could be heading for Parkhead - if his "good friend" Jansen, a former Celtic boss, returns to the Bhoys as technical director.

He told talkSPORT: "Wim Jansen is probably in at Celtic. It would be him as technical director and me as manager.

"By saying manager, it is kind of a head coach's position really because once you have a technical director like you have in Europe, they help you with recruitment.

"They do the 'nuts and bolts', the travel arrangements, the hotels, and all that kind of stuff.

"As long as you have the final say of who comes in and out, these people are your help in the boardroom. I never had that at Portsmouth.

"It works for me and Celtic is an unbelievable club, you have a 50% chance of winning something up there."

He added: "I've not applied for the role. I know Wim Jansen, who has put me in there.

"I think they approached him and I know Wim from my Feyenoord days and he's actually said that he would only do the role if I were to be made manager. That's Wim's opinion, not Celtic's."

Heard Tony's name being mentioned last week but didnt want to believe it.  Surely cant be true.  There was mention of Jensen, Adams and Larrson as the three man team.

This is the type of f**king stupid statement that Strachan used to come out with!!  >:(
Wouldn't mind seeing Henrik back in some sort of role, maybe even Wim, but "donkey" Adams FFS give me strength.
Tbc....

GalwayBayBoy

Looks like Adams is back on the gargle again. ;D

QuoteTony Adams's Celtic claims are a preposterous tale, says Graham Spiers
Graham Spiers

The west of Scotland already has one of worst cardiac rates in the world without Tony Adams adding to that toll today with his brazen suggestion that he might be in line to become the next Celtic manager.

As we speak thousands of Celtic fans will be feeling faint, many complaining of chest-tightness, at the news. If Adams is in the process of becoming the next Celtic manager then those of us who cover Scottish football and claim to "know the scene" are as well bowing out of the business right now.

It is a preposterous tale. Adams has a dismal record in coaching, doesn't know Scottish football at all, and may be the least-equipped of around 25 conceivable names to lead Celtic into their Champions League assault next season.

Celtic could not be contacted today for a comment on Adams's claims on Talksport radio, presumably because their PR department was suffering from apoplexy. Peter Lawwell, the Celtic chief executive, was also keeping his phone switched off, and for good reason. If any of this had a shred of credibility to it, Lawwell would be facing serious questions.
Related Links

* I'll be next Celtic manager, says Adams

* Swansea try to keep Martínez after Celtic move

* Hartson backing Mowbray for Celtic job

Given the type of social phenomenon that Celtic FC is, Lawwell may well be suffering from stress as he tries to lure someone to replace Gordon Strachan as manager. But he cannot possibly be feeling so mentally drained or fatigued that he is planning a Wim Jansen/Adams ticket for Celtic Park next season.

Jansen - a slightly odd wee chap - is part of the root of all this. More than a decade ago, the Dutchman stopped off at Celtic Park for just one season, signed Henrik Larsson, won the SPL title, and duly headed off back to Holland again. Since then Jansen has been an elusive, almost ephemeral character, taking on technical directorships here and there in Holland without ever returning to the front line of coaching.

It was in just such a role at Feyenoord three years ago that Jansen met Adams, who had been there - and I put this as diplomatically as possible - "accumulating knowledge" with which to become one of England's leading young managers.

Evidently, knowledge is one thing, ability quite another. Thus far, Adams's genius has remained frustratingly bottled up, as both Wycombe Wanderers and Portsmouth will willingly testify.

The silly season quite often applies to events around Rangers and Celtic. The two clubs have such vast, colourful followings that, very often, such dippy stories as this one do the rounds. Adams, I fear, could be about to be thwarted in his Celtic Park ambitions

QuoteCeltic bemused by Tony Adams' claim that he will be new manager

• Club source dismisses comments from ex-Portsmouth manager
• Adams said he would be joining alongside Wim Jansen

Celtic will not be appointing Tony Adams as their new manager, according to a source at the club.

The former Portsmouth manager had claimed on Talksport earlier today that he is in the running to replace Gordon Strachan if Wim Jansen, a former Celtic manager, is installed as technical director. The pair worked together at Feyenoord four years ago.

"My good friend Wim Jansen is probably in at Celtic," said Adams, who has been out of work since being sacked by Portsmouth in February. "It would be him as technical director and me as manager. By saying manager, it is kind of a head coach's position really because once you have a technical director like you have in Europe, they help you with recruitment. They do the 'nuts and bolts', the travel arrangements, the hotels, and all that kind of stuff.

"As long as you have the final say of who comes in and out, these people are your help in the boardroom. I never had that at Portsmouth. It works for me and Celtic is an unbelievable club, you have a 50 per cent chance of winning something up there."

The former Arsenal captain subsequently admitted he has had no contact from Celtic, who have targeted Owen Coyle, Tony Mowbray and Roberto Martínez to succeed Strachan.

"I've not applied for the role," added Adams. "I know Wim Jansen who has put me in there. I think they approached him and I know Wim from my Feyenoord days and he's actually said that he would only do the role if I were to be made manager. That's Wim's opinion, not Celtic's."

The Scottish's club's view, in fact, is that the chance of Adams taking up office is at best remote. A role for Jansen has marginally more credence although Dermot Desmond, Celtic's majority shareholder, was also a leading figure at the time the Dutchman had a falling-out with Fergus McCann, then the chairman. Jansen subsequently left after just one season in charge, that of 1997-98, in which he won a league and League Cup double.

Jansen, though, said at the weekend: "I want to do something in football but I am not interested in the Celtic job, whether as an assistant or head coach."

orangeman

The west of Scotland already has one of worst cardiac rates in the world without Tony Adams adding to that toll today with his brazen suggestion that he might be in line to become the next Celtic manager.

Class.  :D

ziggysego

FFS I know the board has been a bit quiet and shite recently, but has it really turned into GDA's own personal love of foreign sports site?
Testing Accessibility