?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

the colonel

the difference between success and failure is energy

the green man

Not surprising really. The REAL news will be who takes over.

red hander

Apparently a few rumours about Glasgow saying Claudio Ranieri

Norf Tyrone

Strachan for Sunderland I'd say.

Stevie Coppell for Celtic?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

the colonel

end of an era as gordon strachan leaves celtic
Paul Cuddihy
CELTIC Football Club today announced that Gordon Strachan has decided to stand down from his position as Football Manager.

The Celtic boss, who won six trophies in four years – three league titles, one Scottish Cup and two League Cups – and steered the club to the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League in two consecutive seasons, said today: "I have enjoyed my time immensely at Celtic and clearly I will be sad to leave this great club.

"As I have said before, Celtic is a special club, with special supporters. There is no club like it and it has been an absolute honour and privilege to be the club's Manager for the past four years.

"We have done all we can to bring success to the Club and we were delighted to deliver three SPL titles, other domestic silverware, as well as making some great progress in Europe.

"It is just disappointing that we did not manage the fourth Championship. However, the players can hold their heads high in terms of what they have done for the club in recent years.

"I would like to thank the Celtic Board for all the support they have given me during the past four years, in particular Dermot Desmond, John Reid, Peter Lawwell and former Chairman Brian Quinn - I could not have asked for any more support.

"I thank all the players I have worked with at the club and, of course, my backroom team for the backing and assistance which they have given me.

"I thank the fans too for the tremendous support which they have given both myself and the players. I wish Celtic and our supporters nothing but success for the future."

Dermot Desmond, the Club's principal shareholder, said: "Gordon Strachan has done a remarkable job for Celtic over the last four years, winning trophies every year.

"More importantly, he has given 110% commitment to Celtic Football Club and his integrity and talent are exemplary. Gordon leaves Celtic a better club both on and off the balance sheet.

"Personally, I am extremely grateful for his contribution to the development of this great club.We will endeavour to find a replacement to continue Gordon's good work."

Celtic Chairman John Reid commented: "Gordon Strachan has served Celtic Football Club with distinction, demonstrating great character, determination and professionalism in his role and ensuring tremendous success for the club.

"He is a man who I personally will always hold in high regard and someone whose record for the club speaks for itself. I would like to wish Gordon, Lesley and their family all the very best for the future.

"We will now aim to appoint our new Football Manager as soon as possible.Our aim is to regain the Championship which we have dominated in recent years and restore our pre-eminent place in Scottish football.

"This is nothing less than our supporters deserve and I would like to thank our supporters and our players for the commitment they have shown during the course of the season."

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: "Gordon has given everything to the club and worked tirelessly to bring success to Celtic. He has achieved so much at both domestic and European levels.

"It has been a pleasure to work closely with Gordon and he leaves the club with all our best wishes. We thank Gordon for his commitment and achievements at the club and we also thank our fans for backing us all the way this season.

"Our fans know how to support their club and we will be doing all we can to once again bring back the title to Celtic Park, something which our support deserves."
the difference between success and failure is energy

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Ding dong the witch is dead....

Seriously though now the hard work begins to rebuild the team starting with his successor.
On a positive note at least he left early on and this gives the team plenty of time to restructure.
Tbc....

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 25, 2009, 03:27:56 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 25, 2009, 03:12:01 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 25, 2009, 02:26:10 PM
Quote from: aroundincircles on May 25, 2009, 02:17:53 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 25, 2009, 01:42:36 PM
Quote from: aroundincircles on May 25, 2009, 01:37:11 PM
Is Strachan going for sure? Was talking to some one during the week who is close to john hartson and he said Strachan was quitting no matter what the outcome was yesterday. When will he go if he does? new manager needs to be installed asap to give him a chance to make some changes

Heard on the radio earlier on today that Celtic Park will be issuing a statement later on this week.

Who ever next manager is some passion needs to be restored somehow. For the last 6 or 7 years atmosphere inside stadium has been desperate nearly afraid to sing or chant incase some one gets offended.

The problem is that in this "PC" world people are afraid to sing as someone will most suredly take offence. I think your right in saying that passion needs to be restored, and imho to do this we need a "Celtic minded" manager, on this point Coyle would be the ideal choice (not sure about Moyes - think he may be a Rangers fan even though he played for us).

Rangers fan or not, he would be my ideal choice...

Yes he would be the pick of the list, but I think it's just wishful thinking, with a top 5 finish in the EPL european football  and all the money that Everton can offer him, he'd be mad to come.

But u just said that "Coyle would be the ideal choice"  ??? Anyways I agree that Moyes would be next to impossible to recruit, after him I'd go Jol then Curbishley...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

aroundincircles

Another rumour from Glasgow some polish guy lined up for job that no one has ever heard off cant be true can it ???

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 25, 2009, 04:30:13 PM
Is Strachan going for sure? Was talking to some one during the week who is close to john hartson and he said Strachan was quitting no matter what the outcome was yesterday. When will he go if he does? new manager needs to be installed asap to give him a chance to make some changes

Heard on the radio earlier on today that Celtic Park will be issuing a statement later on this week.

Who ever next manager is some passion needs to be restored somehow. For the last 6 or 7 years atmosphere inside stadium has been desperate nearly afraid to sing or chant incase some one gets offended.

The problem is that in this "PC" world people are afraid to sing as someone will most suredly take offence. I think your right in saying that passion needs to be restored, and imho to do this we need a "Celtic minded" manager, on this point Coyle would be the ideal choice (not sure about Moyes - think he may be a Rangers fan even though he played for us).

Yes he would be the pick of the list, but I think it's just wishful thinking, with a top 5 finish in the EPL european football  and all the money that Everton can offer him, he'd be mad to come.

But u just said that "Coyle would be the ideal choice"  ??? Anyways I agree that Moyes would be next to impossible to recruit, after him I'd go Jol then Curbishley...

Ok badly put, what I meant was that Coyle would be the ideal choice from the "celtic minded" end of things. Wouldn't have thought that Jol would come and don't know too much about Curbishley?  :-\
We'll probably end up with someone no-ones ever heard of, or else Mowbrey or McGhee!!!
Whats the chances of attracting a "big" name manager?
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Burnley one up with about 6 mins plus injurytime left!
Tbc....

Tony Baloney

Moyes next move will be up a level, not down.

Muzz

Really is tiring hearing some of the comments from "supporters" of Celtic on this thread.  

Were these same supporters complaining about Strachan when he got to the last 16 in the Champions League?

Fact is new manager and new ideas does not mean success.  What other manager is likely to come in and win the league in his first season?  I just hope that this time next season we arent reflecting on "being careful what we wished for".

No doubt this was the worse Rangers team in years...what does it say about Celtic???  

Anyways onwards and upwards!!!  Hail Hail!

slow corner back

What are the odds on Strachan being sunderland manager this time next week?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 25, 2009, 04:46:54 PM

Moyes next move will be up a level, not down.

Well he's never gonna break into the "big 4" with Everton and I can't see him being offered one of them jobs either if/when they become available. So where does he go then to move up a level. Out foreign where there's not much demand for an English speaking manager & poor media coverage or up to Scotland as manager of one of the big two. He wins all around him & is linked with the "big 4" jobs if/when they become available, much the same as what happened to MON. That's moving up through my tinted glasses...

I do think we need a proven manager at the highest level, whether that be Premiership, European or International. Someone like Curbishley who constantly overachieved with Charlton would be the minimum I'd accept. Look at the depths they've plummed to since he left...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Muzz, I backed Strachan for 3 and a half years, but the standard of football coming out of Paradise has been getting gradually worse and worse, the last two matches against Hibs and Hearts were rank. Whilst I generally don't like slagging off the club or it's manager, I feel this time the blame has fallen at the right feet (obviously the board have a responsibility as well).
A new manager may not offer a short term panacea, given the right man who knows, imho Strachan had done what he could at Celtic and things were starting to go stale.

Anyway as you said onwards and upwards.

Hail Hail
Tbc....