?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Boolerhead Mel on April 05, 2009, 09:26:39 AM
Right all the Chesney Haters who is it you want to replace him?
The first  manager since Stein to win 3 in a row and you want him out Why?

The football is better to watch than it was under ONeill

So who do you want to be the next manager-and please be realistic
dunno mel, I dont think the football is better to watch at all.
its more frustrating seeing all the defensive errors and silly mistakes

understand what you are saying,MON had a couple of years when it was a lot of route one, but around the season liam miller played - that season Celtic were playing some fantastic on the deck stuff - as they did on their run to the uefa cup final.

I'd prefer a better strong defensive side, which Celtic are not right now. Also weak in the air, weak at marking from set pieces. Never would have happened under MON.

Main Street

Quote from: Boolerhead Mel on April 06, 2009, 08:47:16 AM
Mainstreet

don't be an ass-my opinion was not based on the match on sat-but over the last 4 years.

I would have rated him high enough as a coach when he took over at Celtic and I was impressed with certain things he imposed on the field of play in the first year. Last season's title was a big credit to his qualities as much as Rangers collapsing.
Overall he hasn't realised an improvement in what is seen on the football pitch. The standard of play has got worse.
He hasn't actually realised his own coaching standards at Celtic, of good signings which he coaches into better players (read what Robbie Keane says he learnt from Strachan).

Out of interest, what would you rate as the memorable 5 games from the last 9 seasons, where Celtic played outstanding football?

the colonel

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 06, 2009, 10:06:45 AM

understand what you are saying,MON had a couple of years when it was a lot of route one, but around the season liam miller played - that season Celtic were playing some fantastic on the deck stuff - as they did on their run to the uefa cup final.

I'd prefer a better strong defensive side, which Celtic are not right now. Also weak in the air, weak at marking from set pieces. Never would have happened under MON.

all o neills teams have been the same kind, strong centre halfs (elliott, mctaggart, bobo, joos, laursen, mellberg, knight, davies etc) and big strong centre forwards (heskey x 2, claridge, sutton x2, carew and BBJ) and usually quick wingers/ wing backs. he knows exactly what he wants. im a fan of strachan to be honest but he puts players in or buys players who cant/wont play in a style that he is looking for.
the difference between success and failure is energy

lfdown2

Quote from: the colonel on April 07, 2009, 11:40:20 AM

all o neills teams have been the same kind, strong centre halfs (elliott, mctaggart, bobo, joos, laursen, mellberg, knight, davies etc) and big strong centre forwards (heskey x 2, claridge, sutton x2, carew and BBJ) and usually quick wingers/ wing backs. he knows exactly what he wants. im a fan of strachan to be honest but he puts players in or buys players who cant/wont play in a style that he is looking for.

what style would that be, 11 midfielders? :)

Doogie Browser

I see Paddy McCourt had a small cameo on Saturday and looked lively by all accounts.  Frank McGarvey was straight on his opinion on JVOH and don't think too many would disagree with him.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 07, 2009, 11:57:00 AM
I see Paddy McCourt had a small cameo on Saturday and looked lively by all accounts.  Frank McGarvey was straight on his opinion on JVOH and don't think too many would disagree with him.

Aye Frank reckons that even if JVOH scores 10 between now and the end of the season, he should still be let go - too injury prone. Can't say I disagree.
Good reports about Paddy Mc and Koko.
Tbc....

lynchbhoy

Quote from: the colonel on April 07, 2009, 11:40:20 AM

kinda the brian clough way too !
I'd agree with that 'style' of play.
Celtic before and currently are always running the risk of being booted around the park by the likes of rangers, and while the refs dont seem to be as pro rangers as before, they still do not favour the small celtic players (mcgeady,naka,mcdonald,samaras,jvoh) get pummeled week after week by opponents and no protection or yellow cards let alone red cards from the refs.
When the big lads were not playing to sort out the opposition thugs, didier agathe used to always get substituted as he didnt like being hacked.
when sutton , Mjallby, thommo,lennon etc were playing they would 'deal' with the offenders.

I dont really understand what strachan is trying to do. He has improved though from being tactically inept to mediocre now !

as for a replacement manager - well david moyes, gus hiddink, owen coyle maybe even mccarthy would be on my list.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

LB your obviously being tongue in cheek calling Georgio and JVOH "small" Celtic players!  ;)
Tbc....

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 07, 2009, 12:12:23 PM
LB your obviously being tongue in cheek calling Georgio and JVOH "small" Celtic players!  ;)
might not be small but not 'hard' and are always subject to abusive tackles and persistent fouling

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 07, 2009, 12:14:27 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 07, 2009, 12:12:23 PM
might not be small but not 'hard' and are always subject to abusive tackles and persistent fouling

Ah you mean lightweights.
Think Ben Hutchinson is a fella who looks like he can handle himself. Actually Paddy Mc ain't no shrinking violet either.  ;D
Tbc....

T Fearon

For what its worth, King Billy Mc Neill addressing his humble subjects (me included) at Parkhead  last Friday week, decreed

"Celtic are top of the league to-day, and you cannot get any higher than that"

If Strachan is deemed worthy by this legend then he's good enough for me

Chrisowc

Quote from: T Fearon on April 07, 2009, 02:09:17 PM
For what its worth, King Billy Mc Neill addressing his humble subjects (me included) at Parkhead  last Friday week, decreed

Obviously pitched at a level his audience could understand.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Chrisowc on April 07, 2009, 02:11:52 PM

wasnt really worth the effort of posting that was it chris
makes you look a bit of a sad tw*t - theres no need for that silliness or bitterness is there?

lfdown2

ah for f**k sake tony, mcneill is hardly going to say anything else at a celtic function...   ::)

though as i have said we've been over this.

see the hoops have signed up with a feeder club in eastern europe, can do no harm..

Chrisowc

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 07, 2009, 02:52:34 PM
Quote from: Chrisowc on April 07, 2009, 02:11:52 PM

wasnt really worth the effort of posting that was it chris
makes you look a bit of a sad tw*t - theres no need for that silliness or bitterness is there?

Bitterness, how so?

If I'm a sad t**t and silly for having a laugh at Tony's expense, (not uncommon round here) then so be it.

I'm sure he can stick up for himself without having the 'cavalry'  ;) rallying round though.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!