?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on January 11, 2009, 12:05:48 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 31, 2008, 01:56:50 PM
Mulgrew was in the same boat as mcgeady and liam miller - a young lad with great potential - see what happened when mcgeady stayed and the other two went....they didnt get the game time and lost their way. The reports coming out of CP at that stage was that mulgrew was going to be a superb player, he was proving it when he went to dundee utd on loan and was playing fantastically well for them , scoring goals from LB, creating goals and they tried to sign him. Celtic took him back and he fell foul off wee gingers tantrums. Once he was punted it was obv where his career was going.

Mulgrew was never going to be Celtic class lynchbhoy. A fantastic left foot for set pieces and crosses into the box but a total liability defensively which made him a suspect LB and not enough in his locker to make a decent LM. Been seen at every club he has been at and even yesterday I saw him at Alloa hitting two lovely long range efforts on goal but being torn to shreds in defence by our wee winger. The boy would never have made it at Celtic Park.

As for 23,000 at the game yesterday its the way it normally is for these kind of matches.
isnt that what coaching and bringing kids through the ranks is all about.
There is no guarantee that he woul dhave made it, but he was superb going forward, with expert delivery from crosses, free kicks and corners (sound like anything Celtic have been missing in recent years).
Yes he was suspect defensively - but nothing our of step with the lack of defensive ability of naylor, caldwell , wilson and a lot more in previous yeears not long gone.
Mulgrew once coached could have possibly been as good as anyone else at LB (or in defence) at Celtic - though that isnt saying much and imo is way below the standard required.

Boruc has off field difficulties whic is most obv unsettling him and affecting his game. This prob explains his dip in form and inconsistency over the past couple of years.
IMO its this kind of problem (how are wives or girlfriends going to cope in cold wet rainy windy scotland - without the lure of big city draws and attractins of say London) that puts off many of Celtic's targets over the years. Cant say I'd blame them. Those who are used to the warmer climates, and in a small way these cold wet Celtic park CL nights help seize up the warm weather loving CL teams and assist Celtic in their good home record.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 11, 2009, 12:23:51 PM
There is no guarantee that he woul dhave made it, but he was superb going forward, with expert delivery from crosses, free kicks and corners (sound like anything Celtic have been missing in recent years).
Yes he was suspect defensively - but nothing our of step with the lack of defensive ability of naylor, caldwell , wilson and a lot more in previous yeears not long gone.
Mulgrew once coached could have possibly been as good as anyone else at LB (or in defence) at Celtic - though that isnt saying much and imo is way below the standard required.

Boruc has off field difficulties whic is most obv unsettling him and affecting his game. This prob explains his dip in form and inconsistency over the past couple of years.
IMO its this kind of problem (how are wives or girlfriends going to cope in cold wet rainy windy scotland - without the lure of big city draws and attractins of say London) that puts off many of Celtic's targets over the years. Cant say I'd blame them. Those who are used to the warmer climates, and in a small way these cold wet Celtic park CL nights help seize up the warm weather loving CL teams and assist Celtic in their good home record.

Aye the weather in Poland is so much better ;). The problem Boruc has is that he is an idiot with a poor attitude. Celtic might well regret not getting shot of him when he would have commanded a far bigger transfer fee but thats not to say he cant regain his previous form.

As for Mulgrew I cant seriously believe you would rate his defensive abilities on a par with Naylor, Wilson and Caldwell. Not saying those lads are world beaters but all far better defenders than the hapless Mulrgew. As for coaching if he hadnt learned those skills by the time he left Celtic (and still hasnt despite being a full time pro for a good few years) you would suspect its not going to happen for him.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on January 11, 2009, 12:36:48 PM

Aye the weather in Poland is so much better ;). The problem Boruc has is that he is an idiot with a poor attitude. Celtic might well regret not getting shot of him when he would have commanded a far bigger transfer fee but thats not to say he cant regain his previous form.

As for Mulgrew I cant seriously believe you would rate his defensive abilities on a par with Naylor, Wilson and Caldwell. Not saying those lads are world beaters but all far better defenders than the hapless Mulrgew. As for coaching if he hadnt learned those skills by the time he left Celtic (and still hasnt despite being a full time pro for a good few years) you would suspect its not going to happen for him.
I dont rate wilson, caldwell ornaylor as defenders. athletes that give 100% def, but otherwise they are v poor. Its their athleticism that keeps them covering their inadequecies.

A wee bit more coaching and experience would def have taught mulgrew enough.
my example woul dbe rio ferdinand - while still not brilliant, he has been coached within inches of his life and can now defend 100000 times better than before he joined leeds under a roar of hype.

Boruc had no attitude problems and therefore no real problems with form etc prior to his off field difficulties - so I think its a bit ignorant actually to come out with that sentence. Obv you dont like him a whole lot.
As it stands big clubs are still interested in him - on the back of his excellent euro 2008 showing , with english pundits exclaiming him as one of if not the best at the competition.

Celtic dont seem to have a problem attracting polish players (though if there was a choice, I doubt if scotland would be given a second thought - Ireland are in the same boat but there is no decent soccer here so we are not in this equation).

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 11, 2009, 12:47:06 PM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on January 11, 2009, 12:36:48 PM

I dont rate wilson, caldwell ornaylor as defenders. athletes that give 100% def, but otherwise they are v poor. Its their athleticism that keeps them covering their inadequecies.

A wee bit more coaching and experience would def have taught mulgrew enough.
my example woul dbe rio ferdinand - while still not brilliant, he has been coached within inches of his life and can now defend 100000 times better than before he joined leeds under a roar of hype.

Boruc had no attitude problems and therefore no real problems with form etc prior to his off field difficulties - so I think its a bit ignorant actually to come out with that sentence. Obv you dont like him a whole lot.
As it stands big clubs are still interested in him - on the back of his excellent euro 2008 showing , with english pundits exclaiming him as one of if not the best at the competition.

Celtic dont seem to have a problem attracting polish players (though if there was a choice, I doubt if scotland would be given a second thought - Ireland are in the same boat but there is no decent soccer here so we are not in this equation).

Would disagree with that, his attitude and behaviour have been questionable for some time. Bit of a time bomb in some respects.

As for big clubs still being interested thats probably true but there have been way too many mistakes of late and the teams in question will be waiting to see if he regains form before moving. As things stand his value wouldnt be what it was.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Jezuz lads, 23,000 while not great for a celtic match, is still a decent enough turnout for a 3rd round sc match.

It was fantastic to see young Aidaniho scoring on his rightful return to the fold, I just hope to God that he's still there at the beginning of Febuary. I think that for his own development as a player he needs to stay at Celtic for another year or two (hopefully for longer then that!) but I worry that under WGS he may suffer!
Tbc....

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 12, 2009, 12:17:00 PM
Jezuz lads, 23,000 while not great for a celtic match, is still a decent enough turnout for a 3rd round sc match.

It was fantastic to see young Aidaniho scoring on his rightful return to the fold, I just hope to God that he's still there at the beginning of Febuary. I think that for his own development as a player he needs to stay at Celtic for another year or two (hopefully for longer then that!) but I worry that under WGS he may suffer!
Would fully agree with that.
Too many have left before their apprenticeship was up and never fully made it (miller etc)

LDA, cant honestly say that Borus was anything other than superb most of the time prior to his off field problems.
The only thing that could be levelled against him was his pro-popery displays to annoy the rangers fans....but seeing that he was subject to abuse and getting abuse about his contryman compatriate Pope JP II, its understandable why he took issue with this.

T Fearon

Thought the crowd was a bit low on Saturday myself, even for a Scottish Cup game. Enjoyed myself so much last week at the Dundee Utd game that I have decided to retrun on Saturday week for the Hibernian game.

lfdown2

Quote from: T Fearon on January 12, 2009, 02:06:14 PM
Thought the crowd was a bit low on Saturday myself, even for a Scottish Cup game. Enjoyed myself so much last week at the Dundee Utd game that I have decided to retrun on Saturday week for the Hibernian game.

thats just splendid, so delighted to hear that!!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Just what we need, another f***ing midfielder...!

Celtic meanwhile, are said to be chasing £3m-rated Croatian midfielder Anas Sharbini.

The NK Rijeka player is a regular under-21 international and has scored 16 goals in 52 appearances for the Dalmatian club.

Dynamo Kyiv failed in a £4m bid for the player last season, but Rijeka look set to drop their asking price as Sharbini wants to leave.

"Celtic are a big club and their interest is flattering," said Sharbini.

"I certainly feel it would be a great move for me at this stage in my career."

Tbc....

illdecide

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 14, 2009, 12:23:34 PM
Just what we need, another f***ing midfielder...!

Celtic meanwhile, are said to be chasing £3m-rated Croatian midfielder Anas Sharbini.

The NK Rijeka player is a regular under-21 international and has scored 16 goals in 52 appearances for the Dalmatian club.

Dynamo Kyiv failed in a £4m bid for the player last season, but Rijeka look set to drop their asking price as Sharbini wants to leave.

"Celtic are a big club and their interest is flattering," said Sharbini.

"I certainly feel it would be a great move for me at this stage in my career."

Gaoth don't let that fool you...Gord is buying the midfielder to play Left Back...lol ;) :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lfdown2

or maybe as a replacement for boruc!!

who would know what goes through his head!!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

See the two animals that attacked Neil Lennon have been sent down for two years!
Tbc....

Clown

lynchbhoy i take back wot i said about charlie mulgrew!
he wud walk onto our team at the minute, shocking defending yesterday. mcmanus and caldwell must go

mulgrews delivery from free kicks was brilliant

nifan

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 16, 2009, 01:32:41 PM
See the two animals that attacked Neil Lennon have been sent down for two years!

Good enough for them.
Nobody should act like that, but 2 men in their 40s youd have thought would have a bit more sense. God knows what sorts they where up to in their 20s

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Clown on January 19, 2009, 09:46:36 AM
lynchbhoy i take back wot i said about charlie mulgrew!
he wud walk onto our team at the minute, shocking defending yesterday. mcmanus and caldwell must go

mulgrews delivery from free kicks was brilliant
people believe far too much of what they read rather than looking at players and making up their own minds.
If Mulgrew had remained at Celtic and been coached properly he could have been the outstanding left back in western europe a taller pasty white roberto carlos type. Just needed more def coaching that he looks like he has got a bit of though.
Strachans stupidity and pride had mulgrew fecked out of celtc park. If McGeady wasnt as good or as famous as he is, then you can bet that strachan woul dhave let him go by now.

For a man who had a reputation of being a wonderful football coach, the set pieces are brutal, defending set pieces are worse, there is no technical skill in passng the ball about and there is no obvious tactic of moving the ball forward quickly with intent (esp crazy given the two fast strikers Celtic started with yesterday). Defending is disasterous. Centre half position is soft, they cant defend.
Aberdeen came up through the middle way too easily. Can blame it all on that keeper brown if you like, but they had to get to him to score. I didnt like what I saw of brown last time boruc was out inj for a spell early last season. The new Dundee utd keeper will be th enumber 2 - or number 1 if boruc goes.

Pathetic from Celtic yesterday. Could very well lose this title and hand it to the huns who are even worse than Celtic - but strachan obv wants to keep the title race close  ::)