Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

JimStynes

Celtic have the ability to beat those teams (except Madrid) but they won't. It seems to be a mental block that they can not win a game in Europe these days. I actually missed the game. Went to watch it and it was already over!

illdecide

Riding the crest of a wave one moment (well sort off) and now 3 weeks later a lot has changed. Some poor performances and now the captain McGregor out long term with knee injury, football can change so quickly in the space of a few weeks. Some of the new guys really have to step up now that McGregor is out injured like Abildgaard, our biggest problem is quite a few have gone off the boil a bit and we need them to find their mojo again soon.
I see CCV was training today so even if he gets 45 mins tomorrow it will stand to him for Tuesday nite, get him back fit and Starfelt with a few players finding form again hopefully we can hold onto top spot. Ange can clearly see this as he played Forrest and MCarthy on Wed nite and they hadn't featured for 2 months
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bennydorano

Fuckin hell Celtic this is a special kind of balls. wtf was VAR there too ffs

clarshack

Can't finish chances at this level.

Itchy

I thought they did well enough but they are playing in a league that is equivalent to the championship and Leipzig had just too much class for them and that being said, if they were a little more clinical up front they could have won it. I wouldnt be too hard on the team or club, this is the highest level and its hard to be playing team like St Johnstone at the weekend and a top European team a few days later - chalk and cheese

charlieTully

Quote from: Itchy on October 11, 2022, 10:23:23 PM
I thought they did well enough but they are playing in a league that is equivalent to the championship and Leipzig had just too much class for them and that being said, if they were a little more clinical up front they could have won it. I wouldnt be too hard on the team or club, this is the highest level and its hard to be playing team like St Johnstone at the weekend and a top European team a few days later - chalk and cheese

That's it. Money talks. In CL we are st Johnstone equivalent. Copenhagen managed a draw v city but didn't remotely try to win against 10 men. At least celtic try and win. Good to be back playing at this level all the same.

JimStynes

Quote from: charlieTully on October 11, 2022, 10:33:56 PM

That's it. Money talks. In CL we are st Johnstone equivalent. Copenhagen managed a draw v city but didn't remotely try to win against 10 men. At least celtic try and win. Good to be back playing at this level all the same.

Not be playing at this level for too much longer if they don't get their act together. They've been unconvincing this past month or so.

bennydorano

The teams werent mismatched by any standards 2nite tho, Celtic missed a criminal amount of chances. Maeda is a hammer thrower might as well have me on, he'll score 1 in 10 & botch half his crosses. He's  had his chance, time to try something else. I'd have the big Greek starting every time as well with Kyogo.

Itchy

Quote from: bennydorano on October 11, 2022, 10:50:48 PM
The teams werent mismatched by any standards 2nite tho, Celtic missed a criminal amount of chances. Maeda is a hammer thrower might as well have me on, he'll score 1 in 10 & botch half his crosses. He's  had his chance, time to try something else. I'd have the big Greek starting every time as well with Kyogo.

In the 1st 20 mins Celtic used up huge energy reserves trying to aggressively press leipzig, they barely touched the ball. There is a big difference in abilities there, a difference celtic closed to some extent with work and heart. But the reality is this, if the two teams played each other 10 times, Leipzig would win 9 of them.

charlieTully

Quote from: JimStynes on October 11, 2022, 10:38:36 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on October 11, 2022, 10:33:56 PM

Not be playing at this level for too much longer if they don't get their act together. They've been unconvincing this past month or so.

It's over for this year. Can't go gung ho away from home. Need to adapt, hopefully lessons learnt for next time. Some serious amount of chances missed over recent games. Needs sorted.

No1

QuoteMaeda is a hammer thrower might as well have me on, he'll score 1 in 10 & botch half his crosses. He's  had his chance, time to try something else.

Couldn't agree more.  All effort and no end product.  I love Hatate but the amount of times he gives the ball away easily is criminal.  He gets away with it in the SPL but not at Champions League level, hopefully he will learn.

seafoid

The last time Celtic got to this stage of the Champions League AFAIK was 2017/18.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%9318_UEFA_Champions_League

They also qualified the previous year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E2%80%9317_UEFA_Champions_League#Group_stage

in 2016/17 they were bottom of their group with 0 wins. In 2017/18 they were third with one win.

Celtic don't have a team for the champions League given the amount of money in Scottish soccer but they could improve next year.

markl121

The in laws are celtic season ticket holders so I've been watching a fair bit of them recently. Celtic do not have the fitness required at this level. Every single game for the last two seasons they drop off after 60 mins and often don't make subs until they're behind. . It's fine in the SPL when you'll get another ten chances in the game. In Europe you just won't. The Japanese lads have all dropped off although maeda was never really that good to begin with. There's the spine of a decent team there but upgrades are needed but doubt the board will sanction the signings as long as they remain marginally better than the rangers in the league.

general_lee

The team are scraping by domestically right now and have been found out in Europe. This is how far off the pace they are. There doesn't seem to be any fluidity to how Celtic play, and when missing one or two players the team just seem to struggle. I'm not sure if it's a lack of chemistry as individually there are some promising young players (Haksobanovic, Jota, O'Riley) maybe they need a bit more time playing together. Kyogo seems to have regressed and as much as they aren't found wanting for effort, Hatate and Maeda aren't giving enough in midfield. The amount of times the midfield is overrun and the ease with which this happens is worrying, and the inability to punish at the other end has cost us this campaign.41 shots inside the box and only two have went in, that tells it all.