?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hound on April 19, 2021, 08:57:06 AM
Quote from: Itchy on April 19, 2021, 08:48:03 AM
It would be as successful as Italy entrance into the 6 nations in rugby.
Italy can't buy players.

If this did get off the ground - the "founding members" would have the pick of the world's best players between them.

Founding members can't get relegated either, so a couple of years at the bottom wouldn't be the end of the world.

It would be a complete and utter gamechanger. But a long way off!

They might ask Linfield then....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

6th sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 19, 2021, 09:12:03 AM
Italy can't buy players.

If this did get off the ground - the "founding members" would have the pick of the world's best players between them.

Founding members can't get relegated either, so a couple of years at the bottom wouldn't be the end of the world.

😂 I'll take the bait MR, and I'm not even a Celtic fanatic.
Nobody's pretending Celtic and Rangers are top European performers , but they once were. Even now , They are the 9th and 22nd best supported clubs in Europe respectively. The fact that they have very little competition in Scotland , and massive financial discrepancy between EPL and SPL has stifled their progress recently. An injection of cash and more competitive games would build on the very secure base of their tradition and massive support . On purely business perspective , I doubt this super league will be treating Celtic with the derision you do MR. Celtic for example , are better supported than fellow European champions , Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea. It would be guaranteed full houses for all games in Glasgow and the marketing potential of one of sports most famous rivalries would be massive attraction as part of this business model.

JohnDenver

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: 6th sam on April 19, 2021, 09:52:18 AM
Italy can't buy players.

Nobody's pretending Celtic and Rangers are top European performers , but they once were. Even now , They are the 9th and 22nd best supported clubs in Europe respectively. The fact that they have very little competition in Scotland , and massive financial discrepancy between EPL and SPL has stifled their progress recently. An injection of cash and more competitive games would build on the very secure base of their tradition and massive support . On purely business perspective , I doubt this super league will be treating Celtic with the derision you do MR. Celtic for example , are better supported than fellow European champions , Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea. It would be guaranteed full houses for all games in Glasgow and the marketing potential of one of sports most famous rivalries would be massive attraction as part of this business model.
1. No they weren't. Celtic have one European trophy, and rangers have 1 cup winners cup, which isn't the full European cup. So not the records of two European top performers.
2. This isn't true either, I found the link, you're basing this off attendances which is skewed in favour of clubs with the biggest stadiums. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/8l1laj/the_50_most_supported_clubs_in_europe_this_season/
Celtic do not have more fans than Liverpool or Chelsea.

Milltown Row2

Italy can't buy players.

There's no bait, my point is simple, the SPL regardless of the support available to these two clubs are not in the money bracket that these 'elites' are.

They will not have enough money to compete or survive in a ESL, I'd imagine at the start clubs will have to fund a lot of this themselves to get it up and running, Sky would have taken huge hits at the start to get that PL up and running to the standard and brand that they have now, I doubt Celtic or Rangers would have the money to be bankrolled into that top end.

I could be wrong, but they would have been asked if those at the ESL thought there was merit in bringing them on board
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on April 19, 2021, 01:22:25 PM
Italy can't buy players.

1. No they weren't. Celtic have one European trophy, and rangers have 1 cup winners cup, which isn't the full European cup. So not the records of two European top performers.
2. This isn't true either, I found the link, you're basing this off attendances which is skewed in favour of clubs with the biggest stadiums. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/8l1laj/the_50_most_supported_clubs_in_europe_this_season/

Celtic have more European cups than Man City, arsenal and Spurs combined.

ned

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 19, 2021, 01:32:52 PM
Italy can't buy players.

There's no bait, my point is simple, the SPL regardless of the support available to these two clubs are not in the money bracket that these 'elites' are.

They will not have enough money to compete or survive in a ESL, I'd imagine at the start clubs will have to fund a lot of this themselves to get it up and running, Sky would have taken huge hits at the start to get that PL up and running to the standard and brand that they have now, I doubt Celtic or Rangers would have the money to be bankrolled into that top end.

I could be wrong, but they would have been asked if those at the ESL thought there was merit in bringing them on board

Where do these proposed ESL teams derive their money? Sponsorship, TV revenue and prize money among other sources. Why would Celtic not get that as part of the ESL? Celtic's matchday revenue is near the top for all of Europe. There is one main reason these teams are going with this, their massive debt. Celtic carry little debt and if reports are correct each club would receive 3 billion just to take part.

Milltown Row2

Celtic or Rangers are not on this list of top supported clubs

https://thefootballlovers.com/top-10-football-clubs-with-the-most-fans-in-the-world/

Is there another link you could post to show it differently. I'm not being funny I know match day ( I've been plenty times) it's busy and my cousins are mad for selling tickets but you can get to Parkhead a lot easier than the likes of Utd Liverpool

Armagh18

Quote from: ned on April 19, 2021, 05:50:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 19, 2021, 01:32:52 PM
Italy can't buy players.

Where do these proposed ESL teams derive their money? Sponsorship, TV revenue and prize money among other sources. Why would Celtic not get that as part of the ESL? Celtic's matchday revenue is near the top for all of Europe. There is one main reason these teams are going with this, their massive debt. Celtic carry little debt and if reports are correct each club would receive 3 billion just to take part.
3.5 billion spilt between the 10 or 12 clubs I read.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 19, 2021, 04:07:19 PM
Italy can't buy players.

We all know that. But the statement was that they're European top performers. They aren't, they're abysmal in Europe.

tonto1888

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on April 19, 2021, 06:59:20 PM
Italy can't buy players.

We all know that. But the statement was that they're European top performers. They aren't, they're abysmal in Europe.

The statement was that they once were. Which is true in Celtics case at least

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 19, 2021, 08:21:24 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on April 19, 2021, 06:59:20 PM
Italy can't buy players.

The statement was that they once were. Which is true in Celtics case at least
When? When they won it 50 odd years ago? Winning one European cup doesn't mean you're a top European performer.

tonto1888

They won it in 67. Beaten finalists in 70 and made the semi finals in 72 and 74. I'd call that top performing.

bannside

Plus....went toe to toe with Porto in the Europa League final..losing 3-2 in a cliffhanger. Porto franked the form 12 months later winning the CL.

trailer

Italy can't buy players.

Deluded. Absolutely deluded.