Angelo

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 26, 2021, 04:01:30 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 26, 2021, 03:32:45 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 26, 2021, 02:31:03 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 26, 2021, 01:39:23 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 26, 2021, 01:35:56 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 26, 2021, 11:44:41 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 26, 2021, 11:40:24 AM
Desmond is staking a lot on Roy Keane. The bottom line is Celtic is not as big a draw at the moment many fans think.

It's a bigger draw than a guy who has not managed over the past decade and whose last job was as an assistant manager at Nottingham Forest.

It's a bigger draw than a guy whose two previous jobs saw him sacked at Bolton and Hibs.

So let's tone done the " not a big draw" line for excusing the appointment of woefully unqualified candidate because they have some Celtic/Irish link.

Whether you like it or not Celtic is a company in private ownership and as such the owners can do as they see fit. Desmond is not stupid, he has made a lot of money and if he feels Keane is the right choice time will prove him right or wrong. Personally I wouldn't have appointed Keane but Celtic fans need to give him a chance. At the end of the day Gerrard would not have met with approval either but he has turned Rangers around.

Jesse Marsch publicly came out and expressed in interest in the job and talked about what an opportunity it would be and he's very much a highly rated and respected manager across European circles right. He's infinitely more qualified than the likes of Keane or Kennedy but Desmond doesn't seem too bothered about opening talks with him.

Celtic fans do not need to give him a chance. Desmond has mismanaged this club and the fans need to show him that they won't accept it any longer. If Keane is appointed it might be the final straw and I can see season ticket sales being drastically impacted.
He owns the club and is responsible only to himself. Celtic fans have no more right to dictate to him than a customer in Dunnes has to dictate to Margaret Heffernan.

And what happens when a business treats its customers with contempt?

About 30 of Celtic's revenue comes from season ticket holders and match day income. Last year fans forked over that money when they couldn't even attend a game. They are growing more and more disillusioned and this appointment will further aggravate them.

So if Desmond wants to make this decision, he should be conscious of the wrath of an increasingly frustrated and angry fanbase. The Celtic Trust is already making moves to build up their shareholding, does he really want to go to war with the fans?
So there is your option go and support someone else. Desmond hasn't appointed Keane to fail. If clubs were run on the whims of fans you'd have 10 managers.

I think Desmond has appointed Keane because he's in awe of him as a football player.

He has once again put his own ego ahead of Celtic Football Club.

Quite a bizarre stance for a Celtic fan to tell someone to support someone else because they think the owner is not acting in the best interests of the club. You would certainly seem to be way out of touch with the Celtic fanbase on this potential appointment and with the Celtic fanbase on Desmond's management of the club.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Applesisapples

Quote from: Angelo on March 26, 2021, 04:29:32 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 26, 2021, 04:01:30 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 26, 2021, 03:32:45 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 26, 2021, 02:31:03 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 26, 2021, 01:39:23 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 26, 2021, 01:35:56 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 26, 2021, 11:44:41 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 26, 2021, 11:40:24 AM
Desmond is staking a lot on Roy Keane. The bottom line is Celtic is not as big a draw at the moment many fans think.

It's a bigger draw than a guy who has not managed over the past decade and whose last job was as an assistant manager at Nottingham Forest.

It's a bigger draw than a guy whose two previous jobs saw him sacked at Bolton and Hibs.

So let's tone done the " not a big draw" line for excusing the appointment of woefully unqualified candidate because they have some Celtic/Irish link.

Whether you like it or not Celtic is a company in private ownership and as such the owners can do as they see fit. Desmond is not stupid, he has made a lot of money and if he feels Keane is the right choice time will prove him right or wrong. Personally I wouldn't have appointed Keane but Celtic fans need to give him a chance. At the end of the day Gerrard would not have met with approval either but he has turned Rangers around.

Jesse Marsch publicly came out and expressed in interest in the job and talked about what an opportunity it would be and he's very much a highly rated and respected manager across European circles right. He's infinitely more qualified than the likes of Keane or Kennedy but Desmond doesn't seem too bothered about opening talks with him.

Celtic fans do not need to give him a chance. Desmond has mismanaged this club and the fans need to show him that they won't accept it any longer. If Keane is appointed it might be the final straw and I can see season ticket sales being drastically impacted.
He owns the club and is responsible only to himself. Celtic fans have no more right to dictate to him than a customer in Dunnes has to dictate to Margaret Heffernan.

And what happens when a business treats its customers with contempt?

About 30 of Celtic's revenue comes from season ticket holders and match day income. Last year fans forked over that money when they couldn't even attend a game. They are growing more and more disillusioned and this appointment will further aggravate them.

So if Desmond wants to make this decision, he should be conscious of the wrath of an increasingly frustrated and angry fanbase. The Celtic Trust is already making moves to build up their shareholding, does he really want to go to war with the fans?
So there is your option go and support someone else. Desmond hasn't appointed Keane to fail. If clubs were run on the whims of fans you'd have 10 managers.

I think Desmond has appointed Keane because he's in awe of him as a football player.

He has once again put his own ego ahead of Celtic Football Club.

Quite a bizarre stance for a Celtic fan to tell someone to support someone else because they think the owner is not acting in the best interests of the club. You would certainly seem to be way out of touch with the Celtic fanbase on this potential appointment and with the Celtic fanbase on Desmond's management of the club.
Granted I am not invested in Celtic in the way that many fans are. I support them yes, like to see them win but at the end of the day they are a Scottish football Club and a limited company, they are not my GAA club for whom I played and coached with and administrated. I am therefore a bit more detached than you are.

tonto1888

Last time I checked, Keane hadn't been appointed

ned

Quote from: tonto1888 on March 26, 2021, 05:04:37 PM

Exactly and Desmond does not own the club. He is the majority shareholder.

John Egans left boot

Quote from: ned on March 26, 2021, 05:13:52 PM

You can claim this and that'!!  DD rules Celtic end of conversation that's part of the problem. Most of the board are DD appointees and let's get real when the share prices where offered to finance lennoxtown DD was the main man- simple

Anyone who knows anything about shares and the city will tell you X Y and Z are boxed of before Desmond makes any decision, hence the guy from London Nick Train  was boxed of who owns what 18.4%

Enough of the nonsense DD owns Celtic DD rules Celtic end off - unfortunately

Milltown Row2

Angelo couldn't run a bath, the ramblings of a bedroom nerd
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Let's hope the Keane rumours are just rumours and no more. A serious lack of ambition from the club if he gets the job. If it was someone else with the same record people would be going mental.

tonto1888

Quote from: John Egans left boot on March 26, 2021, 06:11:55 PM
Quote from: ned on March 26, 2021, 05:13:52 PM

You can claim this and that'!!  DD rules Celtic end of conversation that's part of the problem. Most of the board are DD appointees and let's get real when the share prices where offered to finance lennoxtown DD was the main man- simple

Anyone who knows anything about shares and the city will tell you X Y and Z are boxed of before Desmond makes any decision, hence the guy from London Nick Train  was boxed of who owns what 18.4%

Enough of the nonsense DD owns Celtic DD rules Celtic end off - unfortunately

That's all besides the point. Keane hasnt been appointed

From the Bunker

The legacy of Keane as a player will never be in doubt. He had so many strong attributes. Keane the Manager is a different proposition.

What caliber of Club would hire Keane? A lower Premier League side? A mid to top Championship side? It's hard to see any of them seeing Keane as an attraction.

All this talk could be a Red Herring to keep talk away from real candidates.

screenexile

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 26, 2021, 08:28:26 PM
The legacy of Keane as a player will never be in doubt. He had so many strong attributes. Keane the Manager is a different proposition.

What caliber of Club would hire Keane? A lower Premier League side? A mid to top Championship side? It's hard to see any of them seeing Keane as an attraction.

As a thug who went out to intentionally break another players leg and a man who walked out in his country?

From the Bunker

Quote from: screenexile on March 26, 2021, 09:20:07 PM

As a thug who went out to intentionally break another players leg and a man who walked out in his country?

I am only judging him as a player against his standing as a Manager.  I don't really care about about the rest.  :-\

Itchy

Quote from: screenexile on March 26, 2021, 09:20:07 PM

No as the greatest ever Irish player in my opinion.

Milltown Row2

In a range of players that ever played for Ireland, Keane is the best.

I accept his previous issues but no problem he's the best
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lenny

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 27, 2021, 01:11:30 AM
In a range of players that ever played for Ireland, Keane is the best.

I accept his previous issues but no problem he's the best

In terms of performances for Ireland Keane is definitely the best but not Roy. Robbie Keane with 68 goals playing in teams who weren't creating too many chances was a heroic performer for Ireland. That record puts him well inside the top 20 international goal scorers of all time. Robbie would be a better choice as next manager of Celtic also.

Itchy

Big jump in betting thus morning, Eddie howe into evens and Keane out to 5-1. So whatever talks were going on mustn't have worked out.