62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Angelo

Quote from: MK on March 17, 2021, 03:02:03 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56413741

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56401797

Finally some positive speculation as opposed to some of the non-starters mentioned previously.

Someone like Marsch is a far superior target to the likes of Keane, Strachan, Kennedy, Clarke, Wilder etc.

And you can see from his comments Celtic is an easy sell to him. I'd have other preference over him but if he's the guy who Celtic decide then I'd be fairly satisfied.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

johnnycool

Quote from: Angelo on March 17, 2021, 03:18:42 PM

Finally some positive speculation as opposed to some of the non-starters mentioned previously.

Someone like Marsch is a far superior target to the likes of Keane, Strachan, Kennedy, Clarke, Wilder etc.

And you can see from his comments Celtic is an easy sell to him. I'd have other preference over him but if he's the guy who Celtic decide then I'd be fairly satisfied.

Wait till he finds out there's SFA in the kitty to buy any decent players.

Angelo

Quote from: johnnycool on March 17, 2021, 03:55:24 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 17, 2021, 03:18:42 PM

Wait till he finds out there's SFA in the kitty to buy any decent players.

You see that's the issue. Celtic have all the prestige, resources and potential to attract a good manager and build and establish themselves in Europe.

The question is whether the board have the ambition to do so.

Since Lawwell took over we haven't had show any of that.

There's 20m sitting in the bank, no debt and the potential for CL money every season. We have a billionaire owner who hasn't put his hand in his pocket for 20 odd years.

bennydorano

See plenty of fall out from the Rangers v Slavia Prague game, accusations of racism from Prague players to Glen Ksmara. Slavia Prague released a statement saying  'Slavia players faced unprecedented malicious play from their opponents, they have never experienced such play in the history of European competitions'. No Scottish refs on hand to bail them out last night.

general_lee

Could laugh at Rangers fans. All of a sudden big anti-racist advocates. Still happy enough with the oul sectarianism though.

straightred

Quote from: bennydorano on March 19, 2021, 12:59:23 PM
See plenty of fall out from the Rangers v Slavia Prague game, accusations of racism from Prague players to Glen Ksmara. Slavia Prague released a statement saying  'Slavia players faced unprecedented malicious play from their opponents, they have never experienced such play in the history of European competitions'. No Scottish refs on hand to bail them out last night.

You couldn't mark their necks with a blow torch. Firstly if he did say something racist then he deserves to be punished. I don't think many will argue with that.

However how do we know it wasn't just good old fashioned sledging. Just like what Morelos did in the first half ? Don't hear much comment about that ?

There's a wonderful irony about Rangers complaining about racism. Only last week Kamara was dancing along to the full song book of racist and bigoted bile (and laughing as he did it). Rangers have had stands closed 3 times in recent years because of racist behaviour my their fans. Gerrard himself didn't emerge well from the Suarez incident in Liverpool. Now suddenly they are the moral authority on racism. Give me a break. They got horsed on the pitch and couldn't take their beating. Their center forward had one of the worst tackles on a keeper that you'll ever see. They ended up with 9 men on the pitch. It could easily have been 7. This is what happens when they don't have scottish refs to save them.

Here's a stat. 5 red cards in 14 eurpoean games. 0 red cards in 32 domestic games. That tells you all you need to know.

Back to Gerrard. This suits him great. It takes the focus away from a terrible performance and a complete loss of discipline.

trailer

Angelo

Quote from: straightred on March 19, 2021, 01:51:24 PM

You couldn't mark their necks with a blow torch. Firstly if he did say something racist then he deserves to be punished. I don't think many will argue with that.

However how do we know it wasn't just good old fashioned sledging. Just like what Morelos did in the first half ? Don't hear much comment about that ?

There's a wonderful irony about Rangers complaining about racism. Only last week Kamara was dancing along to the full song book of racist and bigoted bile (and laughing as he did it). Rangers have had stands closed 3 times in recent years because of racist behaviour my their fans. Gerrard himself didn't emerge well from the Suarez incident in Liverpool. Now suddenly they are the moral authority on racism. Give me a break. They got horsed on the pitch and couldn't take their beating. Their center forward had one of the worst tackles on a keeper that you'll ever see. They ended up with 9 men on the pitch. It could easily have been 7. This is what happens when they don't have scottish refs to save them.

Here's a stat. 5 red cards in 14 eurpoean games. 0 red cards in 32 domestic games. That tells you all you need to know.

Back to Gerrard. This suits him great. It takes the focus away from a terrible performance and a complete loss of discipline.

The correlation in Rangers players getting retrospective red cards after the referee failing to spot it on the pitch at the time is fairly high.

tonto1888

I reckon something racist was said. The guy was cute enough to cover his mouth so you can't do lip reading. And the reaction of the rangers players also.

6th sam

Quote from: Angelo on March 19, 2021, 02:01:34 PM

The correlation in Rangers players getting retrospective red cards after the referee failing to spot it on the pitch at the time is fairly high.

Those statistics are mind blowing.

straightred

Quote from: tonto1888 on March 19, 2021, 05:27:37 PM

I reckon something racist was said. The guy was cute enough to cover his mouth so you can't do lip reading. And the reaction of the rangers players also.
Something nasty was said alright. Could have been racist or homophobic and both are out of order. However he can f**k right off with the victim stuff. He was happy enough to be dancing along up to his knees in fenian blood last week but doesn't like to be on the receiving end. I'm not in any way condoning it by the way and if the charge can be proven then slavia and the player should be punished. Its a bit rich for one of the most racist and bigotted clubs in europe to be crying foul about racism. Maybe instead of moaning they should step back and reflect on their own behaviour

sid waddell

Quote from: straightred on March 19, 2021, 06:38:39 PM

Something nasty was said alright. Could have been racist or homophobic and both are out of order. However he can f**k right off with the victim stuff. He was happy enough to be dancing along up to his knees in fenian blood last week but doesn't like to be on the receiving end. I'm not in any way condoning it by the way and if the charge can be proven then slavia and the player should be punished. Its a bit rich for one of the most racist and bigotted clubs in europe to be crying foul about racism. Maybe instead of moaning they should step back and reflect on their own behaviour
How is it a bit rich?

Many clubs in Europe have nasty elements in their support, some have very nasty elements indeed, and sing very nasty songs

That doesn't mean players of colour who play for those teams aren't entitled to exactly the same support if they receive racist abuse as players who play for other teams

It shouldn't and doesn't matter a jot what teams they play for, the issue is the same

It's the same whether they play for Celtic or St. Pauli or whether they play for Rangers or Millwall or Zenit St. Petersburg

Like, I have issues with the ownership of Manchester City, but that doesn't mean Raheem Sterling wasn't entirely right to complain bitterly in the way he did when he received racist abuse

That also goes for James McClean and the horrible death threats and abuse he received - even if he did publicly exclaim support for the PIRA (joking or not) - he still shouldn't have had to endure such abuse and threats

Rangers have a horrible element in their support, probably always will, and have a pretty rotten history - but was it "rich" of Mark Walters to complain when he was racially abused at Celtic Park in 1988?

Of course not

What about Mo Johnston?

Rangers' history of not signing Catholics was rotten - but Johnston broke the mould - did he and Graeme Souness not deserve credit for breaking down that barrier, rather than the abuse they took?

Seems to me in retrospect that Celtic supporters actually wanted Rangers to continue to be institutionally sectarian because having that kind of enemy was more important to them than recognising that it was a good thing that Rangers had finally started to sign Catholic players, that it was a positive thing that that barrier had been broken down

Johnston's reward for breaking down that barrier was to be hounded out of Glasgow, his life made a living hell

So Celtic supporters have been far from blameless over the years even though they portray themselves as a virtuous club

Thankfully Dessie Gorman and Pat Fenlon didn't suffer the sort of abuse Johnston suffered when they signed for Linfield, not in my recollection anyway

ned

Believe it or not there is a Rangers thread on here.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=5894.0

This incident has little to do with Celtic. Take the conversation there or start a new thread. Last thing that is needed for such a serious topic is for the usual suspects to derail the thread with their point scoring and whataboutery. The seriousness of the incident will get lost as usual.

6th sam

Quote from: ned on March 20, 2021, 03:28:53 AM

This incident has little to do with Celtic. Take the conversation there or start a new thread. Last thing that is needed for such a serious topic is for the usual suspects to derail the thread with their point scoring and whataboutery. The seriousness of the incident will get lost as usual.

Fair point

sid waddell

Quote from: ned on March 20, 2021, 03:28:53 AM

It is a serious topic which has nothing to do with whataboutery and nothing to do with Celtic

So it was disappointing to see poster straightred, who I presume is a Celtic supporter, bring whataboutery onto the thread in order to tell us that Glen Kamara should "f**k right off with the victim stuff"