62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

dublin7

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2021, 11:17:39 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 06, 2021, 10:55:53 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 06, 2021, 10:51:06 AM
You're not understanding me. Celtic are much bigger than all those clubs with the exception of 2 or 3 in the EPL but they're nowhere near as attractive to play for. The best players want to play in the best leagues and against the best players. Celtic aren't in that bracket anymore and haven't been for a long time. The likes of Di Canio etc would all say Celtic were a bigger club but they still went to play for mid table EPL teams. Do you think it offered the same money the top players in the world would play for Celtic or Everton? I'd say the majority of them would pick Everton. If Celtic start competing in champions leagues and regularly start qualifying for the knockout stages then that's a different conversation. But that isn't the case. They can't even win  europa league game ffs.

For money. Nothing else. Money.

Di Canio, Van Hooijdonk etc were all very clear that they were leaving Celtic because of the biscuit tin mentality. Remember Van Hooijdonk's famous homeless comment about his Celtic contract?

Do players play for free for Celtic?  Or an easy avenue into the Europa league?

Ambition to play at a higher level would be a major factor in the players looking to move.

Playing in the EPL with and against some of the best players in the world every week is far more appealing than playing in the SPL against the likes of Inverness and Hamilton 4 times a year.

Players are damn right to get a pay raise when they move to the EPL. It's a step up in class and like any job in any profession if you get a promotion or move up a level you'd expect your wages to increase to reflect that

JimStynes

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 06, 2021, 02:01:15 PM
Of a team is willing to pay Christie 30k a week then they're mugs

Angelo would and if he was in charge Celtic would be bankrupt.

Angelo

Why you think that?

You think Christie became a bad player overnight?

I'd imagine Rodgers would be very interested in taking Christie to Leicester and would have no problem getting 50k a week.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on February 06, 2021, 02:16:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2021, 11:17:39 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 06, 2021, 10:55:53 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 06, 2021, 10:51:06 AM
You're not understanding me. Celtic are much bigger than all those clubs with the exception of 2 or 3 in the EPL but they're nowhere near as attractive to play for. The best players want to play in the best leagues and against the best players. Celtic aren't in that bracket anymore and haven't been for a long time. The likes of Di Canio etc would all say Celtic were a bigger club but they still went to play for mid table EPL teams. Do you think it offered the same money the top players in the world would play for Celtic or Everton? I'd say the majority of them would pick Everton. If Celtic start competing in champions leagues and regularly start qualifying for the knockout stages then that's a different conversation. But that isn't the case. They can't even win  europa league game ffs.

For money. Nothing else. Money.

Di Canio, Van Hooijdonk etc were all very clear that they were leaving Celtic because of the biscuit tin mentality. Remember Van Hooijdonk's famous homeless comment about his Celtic contract?

Do players play for free for Celtic?  Or an easy avenue into the Europa league?

Ambition to play at a higher level would be a major factor in the players looking to move.

Playing in the EPL with and against some of the best players in the world every week is far more appealing than playing in the SPL against the likes of Inverness and Hamilton 4 times a year.

Players are damn right to get a pay raise when they move to the EPL. It's a step up in class and like any job in any profession if you get a promotion or move up a level you'd expect your wages to increase to reflect that

Why would anyone want to play for midtable mediocrity. When you look at those midtable EPL clubs, lots of very good and very talented players on huge wages who are merely going through the motions, no drive, no ambition, no passion. They are there to pick up the wages they were paid an absolute premium to make the move.

Any EPL side outside the top 5/6 CL regulars are the equivalent of those Chinese Superleague teams. All money, little tradition.

Milltown Row2

Again Angelo, fo you think players play for Celtic for free? Or have they seen it as an opportunity to get in the shop window for a better club?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2021, 03:13:36 PM
Again Angelo, fo you think players play for Celtic for free? Or have they seen it as an opportunity to get in the shop window for a better club?

I think they play at Celtic to win trophies, for the opportunity of European football, the big nights at Celtic Park, the derby games.

I don't think you need the same financial premium to play for Celtic that you do for an Everton/West Ham/Crystal Palace. Those clubs are exactly like the Chines Superleague clubs, they pay over and above what others can to get players to join.

Finances being equal, most players would choose Celtic over those EPL clubs.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on February 06, 2021, 02:44:52 PM

Why you think that?

I'd imagine Rodgers would be very interested in taking Christie to Leicester and would have no problem getting 50k a week.

I don't think he has become a bad player overnight. I don't think he was ever a very good player. Decent yes. Overrated. Yes. Worth 30k a week? Never

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 06, 2021, 04:27:34 PM

Why you think that?

I don't think he has become a bad player overnight. I don't think he was ever a very good player. Decent yes. Overrated. Yes. Worth 30k a week? Never

He's a better player than Armstrong for me who is doing well in the EPL so if Christie goes down there he will do very well.

It's also worth noting that Steve Clarke clearly rates Christie ahead of Armstrong at international level too.

We have Christie, Edouard, Ntcham and Ajer all going into next season with 12 months remaining on their contracts, it's an absolutely shambolic state of affairs. The biscuit tin mentality of failing to pay at least three of those players (Christie, Edouard and Ajer) what they are worth. Sure there form has fallen off a cliff this season but that's what happens when you hire a chump to manage the team.

JimStynes

Quote from: Angelo on February 06, 2021, 04:43:24 PM

Why you think that?

He's a better player than Armstrong for me who is doing well in the EPL so if Christie goes down there he will do very well.

It's also worth noting that Steve Clarke clearly rates Christie ahead of Armstrong at international level too.

We have Christie, Edouard, Ntcham and Ajer all going into next season with 12 months remaining on their contracts, it's an absolutely shambolic state of affairs. The biscuit tin mentality of failing to pay at least three of those players (Christie, Edouard and Ajer) what they are worth. Sure there form has fallen off a cliff this season but that's what happens when you hire a chump to manage the team.

Offer them all 65k a week sure. That'll help beat a skint rangers.

Angelo

Quote from: JimStynes on February 06, 2021, 05:34:41 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 06, 2021, 04:43:24 PM

Why you think that?

Offer them all 65k a week sure. That'll help beat a skint rangers.

zzzzzZZZZZZ

Keep on missing the point and keep on misrepresenting what I said. Edouard is worth 65k a week, Celtic can afford to pay him that.

65k a week is about 3m a season. How much do you think it will cost us to replace someone like Edouard.

Some of you are very strange creatures. You seem to be all for the biscuit tin mentality of Celtic flipping their players, hiring a chump as manager and being left behind in Europe.

God forbid our billionaire owner invested some money, we showed some ambition, tried to better ourselves and keep our best players or at least now offload them on the cheap. God forbid rather than keeping big cash reserves in our bank account for the directors to pay to themselves, we would actually try to improve.

Some of ye are openly advocating a biscuit tin mentality.

I do know that you guys seem to be massively out of touch with the majority of the Celtic support. You were too dug in defending the arrogant incompetent manager we have in charge that you have no real basis to now criticise the stewardship of the club.

Main Street

When the Danish sports tv do their Match of the Day program, the intro song is a live match day recording of YNWA,  but it's the Celtic fans' YNWA that's used,  the Liverpool's fans' effort  just didn't pass muster.

straightred

Why you think that?

Christie who can't beat the first man with a cross. Christie who puts in 1 decent corner in about 10. Christie who gets the very odd goal among all the shots he has ballooned over the bar.

Better than Armstrong. He couldn't lace Armstrong's boots and Armstrong was (and is) a decent but not a special player.

I'd let him walk for free to get him off the books. He's a wage thief.

Angelo

Quote from: straightred on February 06, 2021, 09:39:51 PM

Why you think that?

Christie who can't beat the first man with a cross. Christie who puts in 1 decent corner in about 10. Christie who gets the very odd goal among all the shots he has ballooned over the bar.

Better than Armstrong. He couldn't lace Armstrong's boots and Armstrong was (and is) a decent but not a special player.

I'd let him walk for free to get him off the books. He's a wage thief.

He's having a bad season (as are the whole team) but he's a good player, all these players didn't turn bad overnight - the manager is the issue. For me I'd have him over Armstrong and clearly Steve Clarke rates him ahead of Armstrong too.

dublin7

"Tin pot club Everton" with their players/manager only interested in the money played out an entertaining 3-3 draw with Man Utd tonight.

Maybe it's just me, but they way the players celebrated the last minute equaliser they didn't strike me as players who don't give a f**k and are only playing for Everton for the money.

Cracking goal from the former Real Madrid player James Rodriguez. I'd say their small supporter base (they ONLY have 2.3 million twitter followers) must have enjoyed that.

JimStynes

Quote from: dublin7 on February 07, 2021, 12:45:04 AM
"Tin pot club Everton" with their players/manager only interested in the money played out an entertaining 3-3 draw with Man Utd tonight.

Maybe it's just me, but they way the players celebrated the last minute equaliser they didn't strike me as players who don't give a f**k and are only playing for Everton for the money.

Cracking goal from the former Real Madrid player James Rodriguez. I'd say their small supporter base (they ONLY have 2.3 million twitter followers) must have enjoyed that.

Should have offered £140k and got James Rodrigues. Celtic can afford it sure.