?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

MoChara

Quote from: T Fearon on January 29, 2017, 07:59:58 PM
Mixed feelings about this,the Lions achievement was far greater as they had a great Rangers team to deal with and the gap between them and the other teams in Scotland was not nearly as great in terms of finance and squad size.

I think they were busy in Europe as well that year if remember right  ;D

Still a great achievement especially for a new manager still mainly using the players of the previous regime, and considering the response if this time last year someone was to ask if you thought we'd be breaking records any time soon.

Hectic

Disappointing that we have not been making more progress in shaping the squad this month though.

MoChara

Quote from: Hectic on January 30, 2017, 08:49:16 AM
Disappointing that we have not been making more progress in shaping the squad this month though.

We've got that young fella Ebouie in and I'd say Henry Onyekuru will be signed today or tomorrow, I honestly don't really see any position we are desperate to get a new player in for at the minute.

stew

Quote from: MoChara on January 30, 2017, 09:00:06 AM
Quote from: Hectic on January 30, 2017, 08:49:16 AM

We've got that young fella Ebouie in and I'd say Henry Onyekuru will be signed today or tomorrow, I honestly don't really see any position we are desperate to get a new player in for at the minute.

Goalkeeper maybe?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Hectic

No we are not desperate for any position but good and all as we are doing we want to be trying to make the team/squad better every window - aiming high and all that.  European qualifiers will be kicking off not long after business opens in the summer and it would be nice to have guys bedded in before then which would have meant getting them now.  That said if we have specific targets and they are not available until the summer then fair enough.  In terms of positions needing filled I think we are still a bit short at CAM with the injury prone/ stamina short Rogic our best option by a distance.  And even for the area behind him we could probably do with getting some more quality in as Brown will not last forever, Biton is never going to be the answer nor is McGregor at the top level.  The new Kid and Armstrong could be fixtures but I still think that is a shallow enough pool right now.

MoChara

Quote from: Hectic on January 30, 2017, 11:21:52 AM
No we are not desperate for any position but good and all as we are doing we want to be trying to make the team/squad better every window - aiming high and all that.  European qualifiers will be kicking off not long after business opens in the summer and it would be nice to have guys bedded in before then which would have meant getting them now.  That said if we have specific targets and they are not available until the summer then fair enough.  In terms of positions needing filled I think we are still a bit short at CAM with the injury prone/ stamina short Rogic our best option by a distance.  And even for the area behind him we could probably do with getting some more quality in as Brown will not last forever, Biton is never going to be the answer nor is McGregor at the top level.  The new Kid and Armstrong could be fixtures but I still think that is a shallow enough pool right now.

I take what you mean, our problem is we have to develop and spot talent to improve the positions, that takes a lot of time and effort, where as the like of the EPL teams can just throw money at a recognized name. I think this definitely narrows our options to improve rather than maintain in January if the people we've got scouted aren't for sale were bunched.

Bitons a Balloon and as your say Rogic can suffer physically I think that's the logic behind the potential new recruit Onyekuru, with Ebouie a likely alternative to Brown.

As Stew says maybe a Goalkeeper, but goal keepers go on forever so could be another 3 to 4 years in Gordon (if we kept him this window I can't see him going any other time), Du Vries doesn't look like a good fit and might even been gone soon himself. That'd have to be the focus of the next signing I suppose.

lenny

Quote from: StGallsGAA on January 09, 2017, 11:22:25 PM
Quote from: lenny on January 08, 2017, 06:44:06 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 07, 2017, 02:20:16 PM
Listen if someone comes waving a £20m cheque at Lawwell and Co for any Celtic player their hand will be taken off,just like Mc Geady was bundled on the first plane to Moscow when Spartak Moscow came with a £10m cheque

Mcgeady was sold because he was a  2 or 3 million player and we got offered 10 million. Dembele is at least a 20 million stiker and in another year he will still be worth at least that or likely a good bit more because he is an all round striker, he's strong, powerful, can hold the ball up and he's a very good finisher.   If we got offered 50 or 60 million now we might consider it but that'd be the only way he'd be sold this month.

Is your full name Lenny Henry?  ;D

Chelsea have offered 40m for dembele, not as funny an estimation now.

JimStynes

Arm taken clean off for that sort of money!

MoChara

Have to say I'd have him out the door for that sort of cash, especially when we have a 40 goal striker on the bench

Hectic

Yeah I think if we were getting close to £40m that will be that - Celtic just could not justify hanging onto a player when an offer like that arrives and as you point out not as if we are totally stuck for a goal scorer.  That sort of money could see the entire team upgraded.

Hectic

And while we may not still be able to compete with the crazy transfer fees being paid for players it would give us the clout to pick guys up on higher wages - guys like Dembele himself last summer.

uimhr ocht

It will be hard to turn down that kind of money he probably will def go in the summer anyhow.

illdecide

Celtic will sell if in-fact that offer is true and why wouldn't they...The club is more important than anyone player and that sort of money will keep us at the top for years to come...All players come and go, some you want to stay and some you don't but thats the way it works. Life goes on and if Dembele goes Celtic will replace him and of course Griffiths is there too...Show me the money!!!
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

stew

Quote from: JimStynes on January 30, 2017, 10:07:52 PM
Arm taken clean off for that sort of money!

Love the kid and all but nowadays, especially in the SPL you would be mad inn the head not to take the kesh.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

T Fearon

If a fee of £40m is reeled in I will be expecting a fat dividend cheque later this year!