Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Hectic

Slightly concerned about all this Gerrard chat though I suspect it is media nonsense. He was past it when he left Liverpool and as a player who was at his best when he had bags of energy to play with I cannot for the life of me think of any reason that we would be looking to sign him.

yellowcard

Quote from: Hectic on November 15, 2016, 07:03:50 PM
Slightly concerned about all this Gerrard chat though I suspect it is media nonsense. He was past it when he left Liverpool and as a player who was at his best when he had bags of energy to play with I cannot for the life of me think of any reason that we would be looking to sign him.

Ability wise I think Gerrard is still fit to compete at SPL level but the biggest adjustment that he has struggled to come to terms with in recent years is the fact that he is no longer the main man. I'm not sure he has the tactical discipline to play a more confined role. I don't think this move will happen though as Rodgers will not want to be overshadowed by the arrival of Gerrard. Plus Rodgers was the one who effectively ushered him out the door at Anfield by limiting his game time. I think this is just newspaper hype.

Applesisapples

Quote from: yellowcard on November 15, 2016, 03:06:48 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 14, 2016, 06:03:15 PM
I see the Scottish FA are making soundings in the direction of Michael O'Neill to replace Strachan.Thats what happens in the real football world when you're in the middle of a stinking succession of defeats in qualifiers.Your job's on the line,except of course your name is Brendan Rodgers and you're backed by delusional fans,who incredibly think you're doing a magnificent job🙄

If Michael O'Neill was that highly thought of then he wouldn't be managing a third rate footballing nation in what should be his prime years in management. He would be sought after by premier league or at the very least championship level clubs. The fact that he isn't tells you all you need to know about his standing within the game. Yes, he has done a good job with the black north but it's a million miles removed from managing at elite club level. The skillset is a very different one. Just ask Lawrie Sanchez and see how long he lasted at club level.
Not a nation a regional 11

tonto1888

Quote from: Hectic on November 15, 2016, 07:03:50 PM

I really don't see him signing for Celtic

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: yellowcard on November 15, 2016, 03:06:48 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 14, 2016, 06:03:15 PM
I see the Scottish FA are making soundings in the direction of Michael O'Neill to replace Strachan.Thats what happens in the real football world when you're in the middle of a stinking succession of defeats in qualifiers.Your job's on the line,except of course your name is Brendan Rodgers and you're backed by delusional fans,who incredibly think you're doing a magnificent job🙄

If Michael O'Neill was that highly thought of then he wouldn't be managing a third rate footballing nation in what should be his prime years in management. He would be sought after by premier league or at the very least championship level clubs. The fact that he isn't tells you all you need to know about his standing within the game. Yes, he has done a good job with the black north but it's a million miles removed from managing at elite club level. The skillset is a very different one. Just ask Lawrie Sanchez and see how long he lasted at club level.
Good result for Michael tonight. If I was the Celtic chairman I'd be recruiting him immediately.
Careful now

T Fearon

That was a meaningless friendly.He has some way to go.Has to lose competitively to a part time team and 7 nil as well in another competitive game ::)

stew

Quote from: T Fearon on November 15, 2016, 10:48:30 PM
That was a meaningless friendly.He has some way to go.Has to lose competitively to a part time team and 7 nil as well in another competitive game ::)

Tony your selective memory and hatred for this man shines through, if you are going to hammer BBEhave the integrity tie acknowledge he unlike your hero managed to get to the CL stages, he has also two points to date were you predicted none for the campaign and then throw in the the massive league lead and the healthy cup situation and you look like a man hating on another because he and his wife are no longer together.

BBees doing a tremendous job, I say this as a once Liverpool hater and United supporter, find some perspective because your position here is compketeky untenable and absurd.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

tonto1888

Is it possible to ban a person from a thread?

passedit

Quote from: stew on November 15, 2016, 11:34:49 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 15, 2016, 10:48:30 PM
find some perspective because your position here is compketeky untenable and absurd.

And highly amusing. Keep it up Tony, anybody who can't see you're at the wind up deserves the burst blood vessels. I'm looking forward to the mental gymnastics followed by the howling outrage should Celtic get anything from either of the next two CL games.

BTW I'm not 100% convinced by BR myself but his recruitment was a positive sign that the Celtic Board were showing some ambition for a change. How he does next season will tell the tale.
Don't Panic

passedit

Interesting that this article should surface on the day of the AGM. Celtic Board going to get their finger out? Hopefully as Tony will be there with his share cert and autograph book he can post some dispatches from the front.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14906956.New_protest_over__Resolution_12__Rangers_Euro_licence_claims/

New protest over 'Resolution 12' Rangers Euro licence claims

9 hrs ago / Martin Williams , Senior News Reporter / @MWilliamsHT

THOUSANDS have signed a petition demanding answers from Scottish football's governing body over its awarding of a licence to allow Rangers to play European football in 2011 despite tax issues.

A petition launched by a Celtic fanzine contributor is the latest step in a campaign - known as Resolution 12 - to challenge the decision-making process within the Scottish Football Association.

The Resolution 12 issue is expected to be raised at Celtic's annual general meeting today (Wednesday) with some fans believing the club should take the matter up with the SFA.

The Ibrox club were given a license to play in the Champions League five years ago despite ongoing issues with Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs over payment of tax relating to their use of Employee Benefit Trusts. UEFA rules state clubs taking part in their competitions must declare any "overdue payables" to the taxman and reveal details on whether there is a commitment to repay amounts, or a dispute over any bill.

Failure to disclose information during what is referred to as the "monitoring period", which is spread over two dates in June and September, can result in sanctions.

Some Celtic shareholders raised the matter at the club's 2013 AGM, believing the club could have lost out on millions of potential revenue that would have been due to them had they entered the Champions League that year instead of Rangers who, the requisitioners believed, should not have been allowed to enter the competition.

Read more: Former Rangers midfielder says Warburton must be searching for Rae of light after double set-back

Their questions centred on whether the Ibrox side under previous ownership fully disclosed the details of an unpaid £2.8m tax bill to taxman ahead of their participation in the Champions League five years ago.

The club then owed the money in relation to their use of Employee Benefit Trusts, in a bill that became known as the "Wee Tax Case".

Accounts of the Rangers Football Club Plc, the oldco now in liquidation, for the last half year of 2010, and published in April, 2011, showed that provision had been made for: "a potential tax liability".

The taxman were known to have begun targeting he club in the spring of 2010, nine years after Rangers starting using the scheme, and as EBT loopholes were being closed.

Court of Session judges decided in November that Rangers' use of EBTs from 2001 until 2010 to give millions of pounds of tax-free loans to players and other staff broke tax rules. But the decision in what is known as 'the big tax case' is being appealed to the Supreme Court.

Rangers Football Club plc, the former operating company, went into administration in February, 2012, after a £9 million PAYE and VAT debt was amassed to the taxman under Craig Whyte's leadership. The oldco renamed RFC 2012 plc is in liquidation.

Read more: Former Rangers midfielder says Warburton must be searching for Rae of light after double set-back

Liquidators have previously confirmed that £72m of the £94.4m owed to HMRC relies on the taxman's claim that Rangers was liable for its use of EBTs.

Some Celtic supporters took the unusual step of placing an advert in a Swiss newspaper urging the European football governing body UEFA to intervene in the matter.

But UEFA said in June it will not investigate as Rangers was not granted a licence to participate in the 2012/13 UEFA club competitions, the club entered the fourth tier of Scottish football and it was not able to play in UEFA competitions for the next three years in any event.

A newly launched petition signed by over 3000, demands that the SFA respond to allegations that it acted inappropriately in awarding the European place to Rangers.

In a letter to be sent to the football governing body, the petitioners say: "We, the undersigned, respectfully request that the SFA must respond to suggestions that they knowingly and purposefully issued a licence to Rangers FC whilst the club was in breach of the required conditions surrounding overdue payables to HMRC, enabling them to compete in the UEFA Champions League in season 2011-2012."
Don't Panic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: passedit on November 16, 2016, 09:22:22 AM
Interesting that this article should surface on the day of the AGM. Celtic Board going to get their finger out? Hopefully as Tony will be there with his share cert and autograph book he can post some dispatches from the front.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14906956.New_protest_over__Resolution_12__Rangers_Euro_licence_claims/

9 hrs ago / Martin Williams , Senior News Reporter / @MWilliamsHT

THOUSANDS have signed a petition demanding answers from Scottish football's governing body over its awarding of a licence to allow Rangers to play European football in 2011 despite tax issues.

A petition launched by a Celtic fanzine contributor is the latest step in a campaign - known as Resolution 12 - to challenge the decision-making process within the Scottish Football Association.

The Resolution 12 issue is expected to be raised at Celtic's annual general meeting today (Wednesday) with some fans believing the club should take the matter up with the SFA.

The Ibrox club were given a license to play in the Champions League five years ago despite ongoing issues with Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs over payment of tax relating to their use of Employee Benefit Trusts. UEFA rules state clubs taking part in their competitions must declare any "overdue payables" to the taxman and reveal details on whether there is a commitment to repay amounts, or a dispute over any bill.

Failure to disclose information during what is referred to as the "monitoring period", which is spread over two dates in June and September, can result in sanctions.

Some Celtic shareholders raised the matter at the club's 2013 AGM, believing the club could have lost out on millions of potential revenue that would have been due to them had they entered the Champions League that year instead of Rangers who, the requisitioners believed, should not have been allowed to enter the competition.

Their questions centred on whether the Ibrox side under previous ownership fully disclosed the details of an unpaid £2.8m tax bill to taxman ahead of their participation in the Champions League five years ago.

The club then owed the money in relation to their use of Employee Benefit Trusts, in a bill that became known as the "Wee Tax Case".

Accounts of the Rangers Football Club Plc, the oldco now in liquidation, for the last half year of 2010, and published in April, 2011, showed that provision had been made for: "a potential tax liability".

The taxman were known to have begun targeting he club in the spring of 2010, nine years after Rangers starting using the scheme, and as EBT loopholes were being closed.

Court of Session judges decided in November that Rangers' use of EBTs from 2001 until 2010 to give millions of pounds of tax-free loans to players and other staff broke tax rules. But the decision in what is known as 'the big tax case' is being appealed to the Supreme Court.

Rangers Football Club plc, the former operating company, went into administration in February, 2012, after a £9 million PAYE and VAT debt was amassed to the taxman under Craig Whyte's leadership. The oldco renamed RFC 2012 plc is in liquidation.

Liquidators have previously confirmed that £72m of the £94.4m owed to HMRC relies on the taxman's claim that Rangers was liable for its use of EBTs.

Some Celtic supporters took the unusual step of placing an advert in a Swiss newspaper urging the European football governing body UEFA to intervene in the matter.

But UEFA said in June it will not investigate as Rangers was not granted a licence to participate in the 2012/13 UEFA club competitions, the club entered the fourth tier of Scottish football and it was not able to play in UEFA competitions for the next three years in any event.

A newly launched petition signed by over 3000, demands that the SFA respond to allegations that it acted inappropriately in awarding the European place to Rangers.

In a letter to be sent to the football governing body, the petitioners say: "We, the undersigned, respectfully request that the SFA must respond to suggestions that they knowingly and purposefully issued a licence to Rangers FC whilst the club was in breach of the required conditions surrounding overdue payables to HMRC, enabling them to compete in the UEFA Champions League in season 2011-2012."

The bould Tony is over at it. He might ask hard questions about Rodgers at it...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ONeill

Strong rumour going about that Tony has shares in Rangers.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hectic

The focus of Resolution 12, despite how it is being portrayed in the media, is not about Rangers (IL) but rather on governance of the Scottish game.  To portray it as Celtic shareholders wanting to piss on the grave of Rangers is distracting the focus from the real issues.  Clubs like Aberdeen, Hearts, St Johnstone etc have a vested interest here as improper governance could result in them missing out on European participation next season.

passedit

Don't Panic

T Fearon