?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

heffo

Quote from: T Fearon on August 30, 2016, 06:03:14 PM
It is a paradox that some who have been great for Celtic,Mc Cann,Strachan to name but two,have been treated abominably,when others have undeservedly been drowned in praise.

I assume you're talking about Regi Blinker?

Main Street

Quote from: Muzz on August 30, 2016, 05:58:09 PM
With all this talk of transfer spend etc. read this the other day and found it quite interesting and insightful.

At times this man received some serious abuse from Celtic fans but there is no denying that he saved the club.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37204507
At present, the short and long term future of the club depends on a football competiveness which will return profitable income to the club. The CL is that cash cow. Now that Celtic are in, there is some lee way financially. Being in the CL changes everything and  the next VVD and Wanyama will not be shy to take a plunge and sign for Celtic.

The McCann abuse (just abuse) for the most part happened after he sacked title winning Wim Jansen.
He was not a guy who anybody loved, conflicts were his food, he was ruthless ambitious dictator, but he's a man who people could respect after some time and distance.

Interesting quote from him in that article

"When I came in and Tommy Burns applies for the job, I go to meet him. But I got fined [£100,000] for the approach. The previous highest fine for a similar situation was £5k.
"Tommy Burns' salary with one year to go at Kilmarnock was £40k. I felt [the fine] was vindictive and unnecessary and excessive.
"[Celtic] are not entirely surrounded by friends. The Scottish environment is such that there has been some prejudice against immigrants.
"Celtic is seen as having a big Catholic population among its support. Celtic supporters understand that Celtic is a symbol of their dealing with that by not being second to anyone."

T Fearon

I think his contribution in saving the club and building the super stadium is now fully appreciated by all.He was though as tight as two coats of paint!

foxcommander

Quote from: Main Street on August 30, 2016, 09:56:22 PM
With all this talk of transfer spend etc. read this the other day and found it quite interesting and insightful.

At times this man received some serious abuse from Celtic fans but there is no denying that he saved the club.

At present, the short and long term future of the club depends on a football competiveness which will return profitable income to the club. The CL is that cash cow. Now that Celtic are in, there is some lee way financially. Being in the CL changes everything and  the next VVD and Wanyama will not be shy to take a plunge and sign for Celtic.

The McCann abuse (just abuse) for the most part happened after he sacked title winning Wim Jansen.
He was not a guy who anybody loved, conflicts were his food, he was ruthless ambitious dictator, but he's a man who people could respect after some time and distance.

"When I came in and Tommy Burns applies for the job, I go to meet him. But I got fined [£100,000] for the approach. The previous highest fine for a similar situation was £5k.
"Tommy Burns' salary with one year to go at Kilmarnock was £40k. I felt [the fine] was vindictive and unnecessary and excessive.
"[Celtic] are not entirely surrounded by friends. The Scottish environment is such that there has been some prejudice against immigrants.
"Celtic is seen as having a big Catholic population among its support. Celtic supporters understand that Celtic is a symbol of their dealing with that by not being second to anyone."

Any idea who was the dutch coach he actually wanted to appoint instead of Burns?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

T Fearon

He was ruthless and knew that stopping Rangers ten in a row was of paramount importance.He felt Tommy would never succeed in that regard having had three seasons, he was perhaps the unluckiest Celtic manager ever.

bennydorano

Andy Goram really was the difference in Tommy Burns not winning a title. Burns' teams were a delight to watch.

heffo

Quote from: foxcommander on August 30, 2016, 10:06:21 PM

Any idea who was the dutch coach he actually wanted to appoint instead of Burns?

Iirc it was Beenhakker - long time ago though

lenny

That prejudice and vindictiveness is still there in spades especially among the scottish refs and press. Just watch how many Celtic players who get booked for celebrating a goal and watch the same celebrations from players of other clubs not getting punished. That is just one example of pure vindictiveness.

king of leon

Will there be any new faces at Parkead before the transfer window closes? Squad still seems pretty light!

TabClear

Quote from: bennydorano on August 30, 2016, 10:36:28 PM
Andy Goram really was the difference in Tommy Burns not winning a title. Burns' teams were a delight to watch.

Which one?

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/sport/7-greatest-football-chants

rosnarun

Quote from: bennydorano on August 30, 2016, 09:14:29 PM
Correct. MON for one.

Scotland's Game on BBC Scotland was very interesting.
he doesn't seem to think much or o'neill

"You go back to the previous coach [Martin O'Neill], who brought in three players at £6m a pop, aged 28.

"They did well, they got to [the Uefa Cup final in] Seville, fine. But look at the balance sheet - the players are gone, the salaries are way up, we didn't make any money."
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

illdecide

Celtic now linked with Charlie Adam...don't think he'd be the "Green Brigades" favourite.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

uimhr ocht

Wouldnt be surprised if we dont get anyone else this transfer window.

lenny

Quote from: illdecide on August 31, 2016, 03:33:54 PM
Celtic now linked with Charlie Adam...don't think he'd be the "Green Brigades" favourite.

Linked by who? Some nutcase on a rumours site. We are not interested in Adam.

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch